Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Enough

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

Well remember what Uncle Ben said to Peter Parker... with great power comes great responsibility. ..

Bear that in mind the next time you're ram-raiding criminals off the road in your crime-free enclave...

I didn't mention me. It so happens that the alleged CO of the IRA lives next door. Leaves things quite peaceful. Marvelous, eh? I know I give a friendly wave when he's mowing his lawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Big Tom Mainliner

I didn't mention me. It so happens that the alleged CO of the IRA lives next door. Leaves things quite peaceful. Marvelous, eh? I know I give a friendly wave when he's mowing his lawn.

And we descend further into the land of Walter Mitty...

And we descend further into the land of Walter Mitty...

Yeah, you're dead right. Carry on. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

So the area you live in is policed by the Guards, a posse of vigilante farmers AND the IRA? What utter scutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

The IRA disbanded a long time ago.
    Perhaps you meant that the alleged Hamburgular lives next door.

Regardless, you're talking pure scutter.
    If you get woken up with a shotgun to the head, with your kids being threatened, then you're going to hand over whatever you've got.
    Same as anyone was.
    Snap out of your buzz Pal and get into the real world.

I've scary kids. It takes a shotgun just to wake them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Can we get back to the level of discussion we had earlier in the thread please, enough of the one liners.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭bobcoffee

this thread is a serious issue that is only going to get worse.
    as crime rates from the recent changes to the dole should go up. (since youths are effected most)
    don't know if they will, it is defo my opinion but the situation for smaller towns, old people and all that should get way worse then it is atm.
    I would not be surprised if crime goes back to the 80's levels.

Our jails are full up, while things like making bail or getting out for "good" behavior make it lolz.
    Some of you might not know this but in dublin and amongst those people would call (really bad people) that getting away with murder is an easy process.
    Regardless of it being through that is a well known "fact".

We also need to separate drug crimes from real crimes.
    I'll try to explain with my own experience.
    I'm a left early school person, who ended up selling "stuff" as a means to support myself (15).
    I never was violent to anyone, I can remember the last time I hit someone which was years ago.
    Tbh I was just a stoner at the time who had to be involved with some really ropey people just to get some smoke.
    This not only put my life in danger but also my friends around me.
    From fear and being young I was nearly close to be one of those guys who robs houses late at night to pay for "bills" out of fear for my own life.
    I got out but the mental scars from the stress of those times are still with me today.
    We need new laws and since the damage from the latest bailing out nama scum (no idea what to call them, thieves who have ruined your children future, their children future) will really push more youths into real crime.

Sorry for the slight derail but to me it has some slight value to this conversation.
    I wouldn't hurt anyone, I don't mind turning the other cheek.
    But I was so close to being one horrible person just from being forced to deal with really horrible people.
    Can only imagine what its like nodays :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

The thing that has occupied my mind since event that caused me to start this thread is what would I have done if I had been there at the time? I would normally have visited the shop at about that time every day, but for some reason didn't then. The shop keeper and the little lady behind the counter had become my friends over a long period of time and she, sadly but understandably, has not returned. She was there on her own when the raiders entered, one carrying a knife and one a gun (that turned out to be an imitation).

So, in the environment of keyboard warriors, what would I have done had I been there? I don't know. I was in my youth a merchant seaman, an amateur boxer, and an apprentice in the Glasgow shipyards. I am six foot one tall and fourteen stone, and I know how to hit someone so that it has a calming effect! I just have not had to do anything like that for a very long time, and I don't particularly want to do it again. Would I have frozen in bewilderment, struggling to understand what had so suddenly happened?

I repeat, I don't know. But I suspect that I might have reacted irrationally and set out to plant the nearest raider to me because of the threat to the lass behind the counter (an alpha male reaction possibly). Would I have wanted to hunt them down and take a pickaxe handle to both of them and put them at the mercy of the HSE for a very long time to ensure that they could never pull the same stunt again? Damned right I would! I would happily cripple the vermin!

The point is that I and other citizens should not have to face this dilemma. We should be guaranteed the security of the state and the PUNISHMENT of criminals to the extent that they don't dare to try the same thing again. I don't want the raider of my village shop to be rehabilitated. I want him punished so that he won't dare to do the same thing again. I don't want to sleep in my bed at night tormented with what I might have done then, only to hear that the raiders have been given bail and will probably be put on probation for terrorizing a woman to the point where she can never work in a shop again.

What do we have instead? Well, we have justice minister who has managed to embroil himself in controversy over the police service upon which my village shop should have been able to depend. We have the wholesale closure of rural police stations in order to save money, when the people of this country are being taxed to the hilt to pay off foreign gamblers. We have armed robbers who are given bail when they are, clearly by their actions, a threat to the community. We have a judiciary that seems to live in some ivory tower where the "human rights" of a criminal are more important than those of his victim. I wish that I and the people in my village lived in such a benevolent and protected community, but then we can't be afforded police protection 24/7 can we? We are not important people, we just pay for those who are.

I don't want to form a local vigilante group, but by God it is becoming tempting! :(

• Advertisement

Well it is one of those situations were its either a Hero or Hero who get others into danger.
    If it ends up that those guys were just fickle criminals then it would have worked out fine, guys landed in hospital and the woman would feel safe.
    However if it ended up fighting the wrong guys, who have no point in coming back with a van full of people looking for you and the woman.. well you can see where that is going.
    Stronger community would help reduce the issue but its not a solution.

Like my post above it, pointing out the its not as simple as you think.
    No idea why those guys were robbing that store.
    Believe looking at issues that are making these situations a fact would be a better choice.
    I'm 6ft5 and spent most of my life helping those who would be consider weaker then me.

Your point to get these guys and give them real justice is a fair point and one worth of discussion.
    What about those who are forced into these situations, who are pushed by society and the laws that govern them.
    That is not an excuse, I have witnessed this many times during my youth.
    When you expect to be dead before you reach 18, things look very different in life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

bobcoffee wrote: »
    Well it is one of those situations were its either a Hero or Hero who get others into danger.
    If it ends up that those guys were just fickle criminals then it would have worked out fine, guys landed in hospital and the woman would feel safe.
    However if it ended up fighting the wrong guys, who have no point in coming back with a van full of people looking for you and the woman.. well you can see where that is going.
    Stronger community would help reduce the issue but its not a solution.

Like my post above it, pointing out the its not as simple as you think.
    No idea why those guys were robbing that store.
    Believe looking at issues that are making these situations a fact would be a better choice.
    I'm 6ft5 and spent most of my life helping those who would be consider weaker then me.

Your point to get these guys and give them real justice is a fair point and one worth of discussion.
    What about those who are forced into these situations, who are pushed by society and the laws that govern them.
    That is not an excuse, I have witnessed this many times during my youth.
    When you expect to be dead before you reach 18, things look very different in life.

No idea why the guys were robbing the store? Could we not take the simplistic view that they did so because they thought it would be easy money that they didn't have to work for? Burst into a small village shop and threaten a small woman with a gun and a knife. Real heroes they! I'm sorry, but I can't find anything to justify their actions whatever their reasons for doing so.

What about those who are forced into these situations, pushed by society and the laws that govern them? They live in a welfare society where, if they are unemployed the state will support them, often to the extent where it is more remunerative not to work for a living ever. Were they underprivileged in childhood? So was I in wartime and even more so was my wife's family where the kids had to share the bloody wellies and hand-me-downs. Neither I nor they ever turned to attempting to rob village shops or any other form of crime. Instead I and they all became responsible citizens.

I respect your opinion and your obvious experience, but I cannot accept that the law or the community forces people to behave like the raiders, drug dealers, or muggers. In generations past there were many people who were much more deprived than anyone nowadays, but they had a sense of community and that old-fashioned concept called "honesty". So what has changed in the law that forces these criminal behaviors? Or could it simply be greed, lack of discipline in youth, and a shocking lack of proper policing and punishment for wrongdoing? The law doesn't force people into crime -- its sole purpose is to prevent it.

I also accept your comment that if I had been there on the day and had over-reacted, that I might then find a whole gang of them coming looking for me. Possibly that is why, nowadays, so many choose not to see or to become involved -- the fear factor that is the uniform of the criminal nowadays, and if that is so then it is an indictment of law enforcement in this country. All I can do is repeat that I have never been in this situation so I have no experience, but if they came looking for me then I swear that some of them would find an early path to their gods. Then if I survived I would be punished by the laws that protect them and their bloody "human rights".

The few facts that I know of this incident are that the Gardai caught them the next day, which does seem to suggest that they had some "form". The next day they appeared in court and were given bail -- bail after carrying out an armed robbery. So we await their next court appearance when they will, no doubt, be given suspended sentences, probation orders, and a firm slap on the wrists with an instruction to continue collecting their dole money without any further misbehavior. Perhaps the court will take into account that the guy with the gun was deprived of his teddy in his infancy!

Meanwhile there is a small woman who earned a few bob in the local shop but is now too traumatised to ever do so again. This is the new law of the land:o

Its not like I don't agree with ye at all or the direction this OP is going.
    Just pointing out that somethings are not so simple.
    The hero part was directed at you not them :P

But ye that poor woman, not right at all and now is crippled with fear (I actually understand that for too much).
    Tbh the worst is those who go to old peoples homes and tie them up, beat them, torture them, rob them.
    For hours those old people are stuck with those types running around their houses.

Its weird, spent most of my life with parents afraid of my being around their children for bad influence.
    I was in a house before, real poor house, in a very poor area.
    The mother looked at me (when they guy went up to his bedroom) and said don't be putting any bad ideas into my boys head.
    I was very puzzled, I'm used to this off nice people, was not expecting it in this house.
    To further explain the situation, there was a car in the front of the house that was robbed and SHE told her son to take it out the back and burn it.
    No idea were it came from, was only in that house once that morning and never again.
    So you can see why I was confused.
    She had fully expected her son to be dead early on in his life and thus full supported anything he done.
    She didn't want me giving him "bad ideas" like you know, not robbing cars, getting job/life.
    How much you think that woman has been crapped on for her to say that as a "fact", she passes it on to her son and if he had a kid he pass that on too.

There are far too many problems in our society and tbh my personal opinion "but they had a sense of community and that old-fashioned concept called "honesty" "
    Never existed, just something we keep telling our selves, no idea why.
    Yes the good old days were, raping kids was part of life, where speaking up against your abusive husband was frowned upon and so on.

Its not easy for me to type this stuff out, not sure if you think I'm adding this for I don't know "street credit" or whatever people like that think like.
    Just passing on experiences to you, dole got halved for the youths, funding for important projects across the country have been cut.
    It shouldn't show it self straight away but this generation atm growing should spark some real high spike in crimes.
    Jails will be even more full and we will see people getting away with way more horrible things then what this topic is about.

Communities will have to adapt but even then is only so much one can do without becoming a criminal them selves.
    You are right, you would see jail time while they would receive a slap on the wrists and another thing to add to their trophy list of criminal charges.

Advertisement