Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do boardsies wear in persistent rain?

• 27-08-2014 1:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

On another thread, I mentioned that I wear one of those fold away rain jackets when it's raining. Another poster (thekooman) mentioned that he wears a gilet and arm warmers. I'd never considered this option for persistent rain (say several hours of rain). Would a gilet and arm warmers be better? Other boardsies experience would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

somewhat related, but I find a underarmour type baselayer and a sleaveless gilet are fine to play golf in. The top is skintight so acts like a wetsuit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

A Car... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Rain jacket for me unless it's really warm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭barry75

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/hydro-h2o-jacket-2893/wg_id-1743

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/hydro-h2o-bib-tight-2881/wg_id-1736

I am wearing this Mavic H20 jacket and H20 bib tight with waterproof overshoes with a short sleeved base layer for return trip home from work 50km it promised wet and windy here later

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

When its warm (like now), the minimum: shorts & top, SPD sandals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭scott.s

I generally wear a Castelli Gabba (shortsleeve) and a set of their Nanoflex arm warmers. I find that 99% of the rain doesn't get through.

I can also take off the arm warmers if it heats up later in the ride

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

scott.s wrote: »
    I generally wear a Castelli Gabba (shortsleeve) and a set of their Nanoflex arm warmers. I find that 99% of the rain doesn't get through.

I can also take off the arm warmers if it heats up later in the ride

i got a Gabba SS since the Wicklow 200 but it would have been ideal with arm warmers and my neoprene gloves that day. everyone had the boil in the bag jackets which act as a parachute if not fitted or closed properly. i had the Pocket Rocket with me but my buddy used it after the zip in his jacket gave way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

outfox wrote: »
    On another thread, I mentioned that I wear one of those fold away rain jackets when it's raining. Another poster (thekooman) mentioned that he wears a gilet and arm warmers. I'd never considered this option for persistent rain (say several hours of rain). Would a gilet and arm warmers be better? Other boardsies experience would be appreciated.

it would need to be 12/13 degrees + to go with this option. any colder and you'd be better with something like this: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-eq25-waterproof-cycling-jacket/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

outfox wrote: »
    ... for (say several hours of rain). ....

It depends. For example I would wear an extra thermal layer for every 5 degrees below 15C. It also depends on how hard you are working, what and how much you are consuming for those hours and if you don't get it right you can freeze in the last hour on a 15C+ very wet and possibly windy day.
    Be prepared for the worst!!! Thats all IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Slippers :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

I tend to dress for the temperature and just take my soaking... hot shower afterwards. Come to think of it, the only waterproof gear I own is overshoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Go out in your pelt, totally waterproof :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Seriously thinking of one of these for the commute - with proper mudguards.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRG6NziX2Aux7NaJ2XgWjJ8DQWaZf9Lma-Z-LnFng9fPA1I4ooJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I've seen people in Maarstricht cycling and holding umbrellas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I usually wear soaking wet clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Plasid

More and warmer Base layers in winter with waterproof overshoes and gloves, don't find I need more or I just overheat... Summer = skin (or as much as I can get away with)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

I've seen people in Maarstricht cycling and holding umbrellas
    Now, a common sight in Dublin, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

ror_74 wrote: »
    Seriously thinking of one of these for the commute - with proper mudguards.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRG6NziX2Aux7NaJ2XgWjJ8DQWaZf9Lma-Z-LnFng9fPA1I4ooJ

No
    Just no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I have a poncho for commuting. I used it too when I did he the Royal Canal e2e and ended up soaked, so took the plunge and bought Gore bike wear trousers and jacket.

Offcourse, it hasn't rained while I cycle since so havent worn them yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Most boardsies see the rain and go back to bed ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

RobFowl wrote: »
    Most boardsies see the rain and go back to bed ;)

Haven't you got a Try-athlon to be running?

Seriously though, for normal spins in wet weather I just wear a rainshell and worry about my most suffery bits - so neoprene socks and overshoes, neoprene gloves, and underarmour (chamois cream might actually be better) under the shorts to prevent wet chammy chafe.

Advertisement