Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

School records

• 15-08-2014 9:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

I've seen one or two episodes of Who Do You Think You Are, and I saw that school records were of considerable assistance.

How available are school records in Ireland?

I have exhausted church records, graveyard tracings, civil records and newspaper archives, as well as census data and personal family records, of course.

I still have a few gaps in my family tree. I'd like to avail of school records. I don't *think* this information is available on findmypast for Ireland (sub has expired), should I approach the relevant parishes' Boards of Management? Or is this data digitized anywhere?

Any tips would be appreciated. Newbie researcher here.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Conorh91

We've talked about this before on the forum, so also do a search.

Generally, the National Archives records for schools are to do with the management of it and their interaction with the Dept. of Education, so roll books of pupils are only there in some cases, almost by accident.

It will depend on whether the school still exists now or not too. I got lucky with a school in Fairview still having records from 100 years ago and got details of my great-grandfather and his siblings. County libraries may also have ended up with these sort of records, if a head teacher donated their papers. Finally, check Rootsireland (and pay!) - I note the Fingal Heritage place has some school roll books for north county Dublin schools.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

For the place you are interested in, investigate with the local library if there were any school anniversary (50, 100 years) publications. The primary school I went to in Kilkenny published a 50 year anniversary book in 2007 that included a transcribed index of registers from older schools in the areas, beginning in 1863! They also had class pictures from these schools from 1915-1990s. And this was just a regular rural Irish school.

Advertisement