Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DAB Car Radio

• 02-11-2013 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm looking for a new car stereo and was thinking of one with DAB- from what I can see DAB is only in Dublin at the moment and parts of Limerick- am I correct in this?
    Is there any point in getting a DAB radio will it eventually be rolled out nationwide?
    The stereo I want must have bluetooth and maybe android compatible would a budget of ~€100 be optimistic any recommendations?- do people think DAB is necessary or not?

Thanks in Advance

LM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

No point of having a dab radio in this country. Not enough coverage and stations even. As far as I know only a few stations are transmitting, the likes of 98fm, fm104 etc are not. But I stand corrected.
    You can't buy a digital radio for 100 euros anyway. More like 200+ unless it is a chinese brand.
    Just get a good head unit with BT, USB port so you can stream high quality music from your phone (flac files etc) directly to the head unit or play from the usb stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭StreetLight

I bought an FM/DAB car radio off Ebay a few months ago and I am very happy with it. The kit came with an inobtrusive windscreen-mount DAB antenna and I was ready to roll in about 30 minutes.

I still occasionally listen to what's on offer on FM, but I find myself mostly tuned into the DAB stations RTE Gold, which is a commercial-free continuous music station, and All80s which includes DJs Nails Mahoney and Dusty Rhodes.

I drive mostly in Dublin and have found reception to be rock-solid.

If you are thinking of getting one, then make sure it supports the DAB-plus standard, as this is the system RTE have announced they will be using.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=125569&page=110

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I have DAB in my car and it's a but useless outside of Dublin tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭mobby

I also have Dab radio in the car, use to be ok with a small choice of stations in the Dublin area few more when down in the south east. but the last week its almost impossible to try and listen to, RTE stations in particular breaking up or repeating the same lines etc. The all80s signal seems ok though for some reason. Gone back to FM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

I've DAB too, crap outside Dublin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement