Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kevin, the teenager on RTE in the 90's.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 mogsy

myself and a mate of mine came across him in burger king on oconnell street about a year ago, we gave him the whole alrite kev thing to which he replied howrya and gave us the thumbs up, he had a chirpy skanger mate with him who got thick about us trying to talk to kev so we left him be and got on with the eating

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I seen him on a prog. on RTE 2 just around X-mas time. He hasn't changed much except he is a little taller and his voice has deepened.

He first came to prominence "reedin' bukes" on the Toy Show. After that, Donnybrook was his Oyster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭markk06

I saw him this afternoon, was walking past him in a pub, and immediately thought of this thread. Had a good laugh to myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭superdudeman007

Jamey wrote:
    Yeah Yeah, its all coming back now!!! Stream...jaysus thats years ago!
    I remember he used to present Quiz Stream in that green Star Trek style yoke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

Kevo has been snapped up by BBC 2. He's taken Jeremey Paxman's place on Newsnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 ClarenceOveur

basquille wrote:
    Wasn't that a game on Echo Island?

Was it not that crap prog The Works with your man from Bull Island (which was crap) and Mary "Are ye laughing?" Kingston...

Iotas etc

*shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'd forgotten all about the Iota, and *shudder* "Are you laughing?". Mary Kingston must have really been at it under the sheets with the DG of RTE, there's no other possible explanation how someone so talentless could forge a career with the National Broadcaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 ClarenceOveur

Yeah, I remember at the time being torn between preferring the ones on BBC where they covered you in green goop and you fell down slides and such, and The Works where you had Kev screaming in your ear.

"One sticky ball thats deadly one sticky ball so far keep it up thTWO sticky balls class yeah keep throwin dem keep thrTHREE STICKY BALLS THIS IS THE HIGHEST SO FAR EVER".

Actually, I wasnt torn between them at all. We didnt have fancy foreign channels so it was The Works and Glenroe for us

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

(wasn't that after the days of grabbit and fetchit and pajo??)

lol Pajo!! Wasn't he the rat with the pink mohawk??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Sheridan

I was on Physiquiz circa June 1994 and almost brained the Kevmeister with a premature frisbee during the rehearsal. He spent most of his time hiding between the props to avoid the shrill entreaties of my demob-happy classmates in the audience. Our reward for winning the quiz was a trashy walkman apiece, which the production people retrieved from us after the show; apparently they needed them for further tapings (took them about 4 months to get them to us.)

Oddly enough, the other presenter was Barry Murphy of Aprés Match fame. He looked bored out of his tree, as you can imagine. I was somewhat startled to see him crop up on oddball late-night show The End later that year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

Sheridan wrote:
    Oddly enough, the other presenter was Barry Murphy of Aprés Match fame. He looked bored out of his tree, as you can imagine. I was somewhat startled to see him crop up on oddball late-night show The End later that year.
    No way!!! I don't ever remember him being on Physiquiz....I wonder is he as embarrassed about it as Dara O'Briain is about Echo Island???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭rag2gar

Met him recently at a poker tournament. Very nice fella. Seemed amused that I knew him "after all these year. Jaysus man you musta been a toddler" Well I was hardly watching late late toy show in my thirties!

Ended up knocking him out which was nice.

Edit: He now works behind the scenes apparantly (where the magic happens so to speak!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Peter Collins

Yep, he's a friend of my cousins.

Him and another guy from RTE (better looking, if a bit effeminate) are often to be seen on ground level bar in Bruxelles early on Saturdays...about 6->9, before they go to Lillies.

He's alright I think, his 15 mins are well and truly up. Gonna print this out and give it to him next time I see him...he'll be chuffed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Peter Collins

I might leave my bit out of the print-out.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭yellowellie

I always had it in my head that he was Brenda Donoghue's son!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

He is. He's the love child of her and Gerry Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I would have said the love child of her, and Brendan O'Carroll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

ned78 wrote:
    Brendan O'Carroll.
    Y'know, I've gone years without having that hateful dwarf in my brain.

Thanks for putting him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

doesn't Kevo do the Books segment on the Late Late Toy Show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A_Fitz

Ruu wrote:
    Seems to have vanished off the face of Dublin. :) *starts Find Kevo campaign* Maybe he doesn't want to be found, I wouldn't.

LMAO - couldn't agree more; desperate ejit, god love him.

RTE's bright young hope once upon a time!

That says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Holmer

Orlee wrote:
    he used to, reading the big print with his finger under each line. his career peaked with scratch saturday though, the show that brought us the glorious ginger mullet of andy ruane 'YOURE GETTIN GUNGED' etc. kev was actually owned by the shadowy forces at montrose, having been bred using DNA extracted from Brenda Donohue's toenail clippings, and reared in a prefabricated building which later served as the Head 2 Toe production office

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Somehow stumbled across this thread. Just to clear up where he's at now. He works in production in RTE, just hitting his early 30s and doesn't look a day over 14. Apparently he's a good man for scoopin on a night out but tells one too many stories about 'the good ol' days'.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

He was interviewed on Ray D'Arcy about a month ago on the Fix It Friday segment "Where are they now?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Somehow stumbled across this thread. Just to clear up where he's at now. He works in production in RTE, just hitting his early 30s and doesn't look a day over 14. Apparently he's a good man for scoopin on a night out but tells one too many stories about 'the good ol' days'.

This post is pretty much verbatim what he said on D'Arcy's show.

Good man Xavi, full of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Here's a photo of him from the Today FM website

2528715.jpg

Remember Kevin O' Connell? You might know him better as Kevo or some might remember him as “that little b****%”!

Kevo started his career at the age of 12 on Jo Maxi and then went on to do Late Late Toy Shows with Pat Kenny, Scratch Saturday, and a regular rant in front of a wall at Windmill Lane on ‘The Grip’ with Ryle Nugent.

We managed to track him down – now 31, he is an assistant producer in the RTE sports dept!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

IanCurtis wrote: »
    This post is pretty much verbatim what he said on D'Arcy's show.

Good man Xavi, full of it.

Full of what exactly?

Living in Australia means I didn't know anything about him being on the D'Arcy show. I was merely relaying the info my mate who works with him gave me.

Cheers for your input as always :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭marie_85

Orlee wrote: »

Was he the only one that did the books or did they have a different guy at some stage as well?

Deco or Damo or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Full of what exactly?

Living in Australia means I didn't know anything about him being on the D'Arcy show. I was merely relaying the info my mate who works with him gave me.

Cheers for your input as always :rolleyes:

You live in Australia? Jesus I would have never known, seen as you hardly ever mention it...

:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Advertisement