Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shark Finning

Options
  • 22-01-2014 11:02am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Not strictly a diving query but definitely diving related due to the Project Aware campaign on Shark Finning and divers are more likely to know this than one of the food fora.

Does anyone know if it is legal in Ireland? I was at a restaurant the other night who were selling Shark Fin soup. That is the first time I ever saw it for sale here (as I assumed it was banned) and the waiter confirmed that they use real shark fins.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

http://diving.ie/news/shark-finning-ban/

Although, trading shark fins may still be legal?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

From that I would conclude that once the whole shark is landed and brought ashore then they can do what they like with the fin but they don't allow the slicing off the fin and throwing the shark back in the water.
    Seems like they would be allowed to sell it so:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

The product itself isn't banned anywhere, as far as I know. However, since demand for the product is what drives the practice of finning, I refuse to eat in any restaurant that serves Shark Fin Soup. As I walk out, I always tell them why. (Well, I say "I always...", but as it happens I've only ever seen it on the menu of 2 restaurants. I told them both.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

What restaurant sells them? I dont see any problem in identifying the restaurant in question.

NoQuarter wrote: »
    What restaurant sells them? I dont see any problem in identifying the restaurant in question.

One was abroad.
    The other was several years ago, so I don't know if they still do it or not, but it was a Chinese in Ranelagh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

http://www.menupages.ie/Dublin/city_centre/georges_street/good_world_chinese_restaurant/menu

Seems that they are not doing anything illegal once the shark fins are from a verified source but I won't be going there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭alwayssideways

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    http://www.menupages.ie/Dublin/city_centre/georges_street/good_world_chinese_restaurant/menu

Seems that they are not doing anything illegal once the shark fins are from a verified source but I won't be going there again.

Thanks for that, I will be sure to avoid the place.

That's not the one I was referring to (but it does have shark fin soup on its menu)

EDIT: From looking at Google Streetview, I think that the one I was referring to is Wong's, next door to McSorley's. I can't find its menu online, but there appears to be another branch (ie. the logo's the same) in Clontarf. That restaurant's menu is on PawwedRig's link (www.menupages.ie), and it does not have Shark Fin Soup on it. Perhaps they had a change of heart in the last couple of years.

That's not the one I was referring to (but it does have shark fin soup on its menu)

The Good World restaurant was the one I was in the other night (hence this thread).
    I e-mailed the Dept of Agriculture about it to see what the actual regulations are so we'll see what they say.

Sorry, PR, I thought that this post

was in reply to this one of mine
    The product itself isn't banned anywhere, as far as I know. However, since demand for the product is what drives the practice of finning, I refuse to eat in any restaurant that serves Shark Fin Soup. As I walk out, I always tell them why. (Well, I say "I always...", but as it happens I've only ever seen it on the menu of 2 restaurants. I told them both.)

rather than in response to your original post.

• Advertisement

So I got a response from the FSAI repeating what has already been said here
    'There is no ban on removing fins after they have been legally landed or on the sale of shark fin soup. '

http://www.sfpa.ie/Portals/0/Legislation/Fisheries%20Conservation/EU%20Regulations/2013/EU%20603%20of%202013%20Amdt%20to%201185-2003%20Shark%20fins.pdf

So by the looks of it if I am to boycott and restaurant that serves shark fin soup I should extend that to any restaurant that serves shark.

So by the looks of it if I am to boycott and restaurant that serves shark fin soup I should extend that to any restaurant that serves shark.

Basically, you are unlikely to find any. AFAIK, shark meat isn't really a part of any country's cuisine, as I think it's not very tasty. (Apparently, the fins aren't tasty either; shark fin soup is eaten in Chinese cuisine for its prestige value, not its nutritional value)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Thanks for that, I will be sure to avoid the place.

Me too. Unreal...

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭scuby

i've seen some port beagle sharks being sliced into steaks in the English Market in Cork, but they just happened to get caught in nets at the time, as by-catch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

So I got a response from the FSAI repeating what has already been said here
    'There is no ban on removing fins after they have been legally landed or on the sale of shark fin soup. '

http://www.sfpa.ie/Portals/0/Legislation/Fisheries%20Conservation/EU%20Regulations/2013/EU%20603%20of%202013%20Amdt%20to%201185-2003%20Shark%20fins.pdf

I'd certainly walk out if any part of a shark was being sold for food. I will be avoiding that place too and might just go all facebook warrior on its ass too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

BAFAIK, shark meat isn't really a part of any country's cuisine, as I think it's not very tasty.

I've had blue shark (which I presume was by catch as I thought it was endangered) and it was reasonably nice. You wouldn't go looking for it though. I've also had dogfish abroad, not really up to much.

I think if stuff is caught as bycatch then I'd rather it eaten than not, albeit I agree with people not wanting to promote shark fin-ing

Advertisement