Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helicobacter Pylori in stomach

Options
  • 06-02-2015 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

I'm in my early 30's and been suffering with excess acid and heartburn since my mid teens. Like an eejit I just put up with it and never went to the doctor about it. I needed to have gaviscon with me at all times.

My father and Grandfather both have a Hiatal Hernia as do I which complicates the problem further. They both had HP infections and were treated with antibiotics which took care of the problem.

I had an endoscopy a few weeks ago to get a biopsy and it confirmed I have HP in my stomach and a 2 inch Hiatal Hernia.

The problem is that I'm allergic to Penicillin and Clarithromycin. The doctor in the hospital said that those are the only antibiotics that can be used to treat a HP infection and instead put me on 80mg esomeprazole for a month and 40 mg for the second, before an appointment in the clinic.

I've put up with this stomach problem most of my life and it seems I'm going to be taking these meds for the rest of my life now. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has been in this situation before and if there was an alternative antibiotic that worked for them.

Comments

hi mate,

I don't usually post on such things but I do have an opinion on this one. Does your breath smell??. The other half had this and it was genetic. she took the antibiotics for two weeks 3 years ago and she's grand since, no morebad breath or other stuff.

On more than 5 occasions I'vre read broccoli is close to an antibiotic for this Pylori stuff. Try stuffing your face with it for a while?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭darlenmol

Thanks for reply. No I never get bad breath thankfully but my fathers would knock a horse. I often had to tell him it was bad and he's say "ah ya my stomach is at me". I'll definitely try the broccoli as I bloody love the stuff :) . Thanks a million

i just googled it and it seems to be a fact, that it realy does cure h pylori.
    when you think of it, antibiotics are a stronger version so try eating it slightly steamed for a few weeks and see how ya feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭BlueFairy

Manuka honey (a high quality one) is said to be good for h pylori eradication. As are mastic gum and coconut oil, and several other natural alternatives. I can't tell you about the efficacy or likelyhood that any of them actually work, but if you do a little googling you'll come across a good few suggested cures. Obviously just be careful with anything you decide to try and research well to make sure it's compatible with any medication you're on.

I too have a hiatal hernia, it's such a nuisance. And I went through a round of the triple therapy for a h pylori infection a few years ago, it was a rotten experience and apparently it didn't work because I still had the infection a few weeks later. I didn't want to go through another round of it with different antibiotics so I just decided I'd put up with it for a while and see how it went. Apparently a lot of people have this infection, but it only causes symptoms in some people, so there is discussion in the medical world about whether it really needs to be treated, it depends on the patient really.

A few years down the road and I don't really have the same trouble any more, although a sensitive stomach does run in my family too so there is that. I tend simply just to eat well, a good balanced diet with little processed foods or sugar. I also avoid some of the main foods that cause extra acid reflux problems like tomatoes, spicy food, alcohol and stuff like that. Not that I totally avoid it, just have it in moderation rather than all the time. I don't eat much gluten, not because I'm celiac but because I find that my digestive system works a whole lot better and I get way less reflux when I don't eat it.

I also found that stress plays a major part in stomach problems, when I'm worked up my stomach is the first physical thing to get upset. It's really annoying but it means that I work to keep stress to a minimum in my life, which is actually a good thing.

Basically what I'm saying is, since you're stuck without being able to take antibiotics then the next best thing is to eat a diet that's good for acid reflux problems. If you're overweight then this can put extra pressure on your stomach area, so it would be good to lose it (no offence intended, it's just a recommended lifestyle solution for reflux problems and hernias). Keep your meals small and don't lie down within the first few hours after eating. Drink plenty of water, avoid caffeine.

The drugs he's put you on for the month will reduce your acid problems for the moment, but they don't really like people to be on them long term so you'll probably have to come off them soon enough. Be aware that weaning yourself off them is the best way, as stopping them can cause rebound acid problems that will make your reflux seem worse for a short while. Just keep some extra gaviscon at hand and come off them slowly, fight through it for a few days and you'll be grand after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i have had this acid reflux problem with past ten yrs, it causes joint pain, sore troath, sore ear on side i lie on when asleep, causes tiredness, diorriah, stomach pain and chest to shoulder pain, i have had all the treatements, and have learned what i should abstain from, lamb is the big no no, along with fries, stuffing at christmas, wine, anything with vinegar in it kill me, sweet stuff is also troublesome, cheese also anything that is hard to digest is out , red meats, and cheese, even though i love cheese. and will have a little now and then,
    i snack on pumpkin seed, they neutralise acids in stomach,
    lemon juice is also good,
    gaviscon tablets help when travelling,
    this thing is hereditary with me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

rusty cole wrote: »
    hi mate,

I don't usually post on such things but I do have an opinion on this one. Does your breath smell??. The other half had this and it was genetic. she took the antibiotics for two weeks 3 years ago and she's grand since, no morebad breath or other stuff.

On more than 5 occasions I'vre read broccoli is close to an antibiotic for this Pylori stuff. Try stuffing your face with it for a while?

Ive read about this only very lately, Id avoided broccoli along with a lot of other things as I supposedly have ibs even though I know its also supposed to be good for you.

Advertisement