Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackhat (Michael Mann)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Mann really has a giant boner for alpha males in tense situations. Is he still using the Viper system?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The Alexa XT with anamorphic lenses, I think.

It looks okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

Meh. He used to be a good director

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Computers and movies very rarely mix well :(:( .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Computers and movies very rarely mix well :(:( .

Well, hackers and movies certainly don’t anyway. I loved the use of computers in The Social Network and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. And there are other good examples in recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Looks a bit generic story wise tbh, hopefully it's just marketing billing it as something it isn't and there's a bit more to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Looks like an interesting story, will keep an eye out for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

First reviews are in and are decidedly mixed. Rolling Stone mag likes it, The Guardian doesn't.

Trailers:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 85,172 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I like Chris Hemsworth mainly as Thor but as a hacker and the lead in a Michael Mann film can he pull it off not so sure from the trailers tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

For every panning of the film I've seen there also certainly seems to be some passionate defenses. I look forward to seeing it for this reason, seems like a bit of a curate's egg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Seems to be a very devisive one from initial reactions. There doesn't seem to be much middle-ground. Another one of his, Miami Vice, imo was a great movie that seemed to be cool to hate and was panned by many (not all) who'd made up their minds before watching it and couldn't judge it on merit even when they did. I'll bet on a Michael Mann marmite film any day (Once it's not Public Enemies).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Real throwback to the movies of the 90's when de Interweb was this big, scary thing and hackers were either skinny little nerds or misunderstood, gun totting, tough guys. This looks utterly stupid but could be good fun.

Also, China! That'll do no harm to the box office earnings.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's a moment at the start of Blackhat where a computerised camera enters a computer, capturing the circuitry and components in a gritty (dust and all) yet increasingly stylised manner. A fitting symbol for a film that achieves some wonderful things in the realm of digital cinematography.

Mann and his DOP use the unique assets and limitations of digital like nobody else. The visuals are raw and grubby, packed with a nervous and unstable energy that suits the mood of the film. Yet Mann also takes advantage of sharpness of digital colouring and the nimbleness of the smaller form digital cameras (shaky cam is used with ruthless, brutal efficiency here). Visually the film is a beautiful mix of abstract and grounded, matched by some visceral and cheeky editing (Mann frequently cuts away from extraordinary shots with the bravery and nonchalance of a director constantly on the search for the next interesting composition). Even the obligatory aerial establish shots of cities feel fresh here.

The film spends around forty five minutes focusing almost exclusively on the mechanics of its labyrinthine and rote thriller plot, which detracts from the more nuanced cinematic storytelling elsewhere. But for the most part the film achieves a balance between punchy, kinetic action (fans of Heat will be glad to hear you can feel the force of every single bullet) and quiet but super-slick moments of downtime. The sound design is extraordinary throughout, so make sure you see it with surround sound.

Narratively Blackhat is intriguing, silly and derivative, albeit translating familiar elements into a fresh and thematically potent technological context. And characterisation is largely non-existent, not helped by stony performances throughout (although there is an admirable clarity and simplicity in the way Mann explores some of the relationship). But stylistically this film is alive with energy, enthusiasm and the spirit of experimentation. It's eager to explore the aesthetic potential of oft maligned technology. I'm not a massive Michael Mann fan, but his signature is all over this and it's often a pleasure to witness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭happysunnydays

Mann can be hit or miss. His films look great always in urban backdrops with cool lighting. Normally I'd look forward..... but the casting is too strange on this one, no? Chris Hemsworth doesn't seem the hacker type to me. What were they thinking?

Mann can be hit or miss. His films look great always in urban backdrops with cool lighting. Normally I'd look forward..... but the casting is too strange on this one, no? Chris Hemsworth doesn't seem the hacker type to me. What were they thinking?

Mann is always hit for me. Nobody directs with his style, he's one of a kind. I could enjoy his films just for the visuals, they are good enough reason to watch his movies even if the story isn't a gripping one or to my taste.

Mann is always hit for me. Nobody directs with his style, he's one of a kind. I could enjoy his films just for the visuals, they are good enough reason to watch his movies even if the story isn't a gripping one or to my taste.
    Yep, Miami Vice is a perfect example of this. Average script, visually dazzling film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I was expecting more of a film focusing on computers and hacking and while it does concentrate on the tech side Blackhat is also a terrifically exciting thriller.
    The use of digital cameras sweeping in and out of the action really give it a dynamic feel.
    It’s basically Michael Mann’s greatest hits condensed into one film.
    With the globetrotting locations, psychotic bad guy and exhilarating shoot outs it’s almost Mann’s Bond movie.
    Very impressive stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Is this worth going to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

eternal wrote: »
    Is this worth going to?

It's not Mann at his best.. but it's FAR better than public enemies. Johnny Depp not being in it helps a lot.

Theres one or two laugh out loud bad moments, but the whole film is beautifully shot and I could rewatch the film just for that.

Chris Hemsworth does a good job, but he was badly miscast.

I enjoyed it. It's Mann doing what he does and not giving a crap about reigning in his style or tightening the narrative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,317 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I enjoyed it quiet a lot. There are lots of thing wrong with it Chris Hemsworth is probably the wrong lead but who turns down a chance to work with Michael Mann.

It's got all the style of a Michael Mann film that alone is worth it for me.

Genuinely baffled by how poorly received Blackhat was upon it's initial release. By all accounts it's a film which divided audiences and critics right down the middle, it seems that either you loved it or you hated it with no real middle ground.

Taken for what it is, Blackhat isn't vintage Mann and pales in comparison to Heat, Manhunter, Thief, etc but on it's own merits Blackhat is one of the most enjoyable thrillers to come along this year. Visually the film is classic Mann with many of the compositions have a somewhat abstract feel, Mann recognises that shooting on digital means that the end product will always have that digital sheen and as such he embraces it like few others. In a wonderfully inspired opening scene, Mann showcases a heist like no other as the camera journeys through a computer mainframe as it tracks lines of code as they traverse trough the gird. It's a visually dazzling and daring opening which sets the mood and tone from the very start.

Given Mann's penchant for realism, it's surprising just how out there much of Blackhat is. While the set up is grounded in reality the manner in which it plays out is decidedly cinematic and as such gives the film a nice old fashioned B film feel. This is a film all about the atmosphere and Mann creates a constant sense of foreboding aided by his now trademark shooting from the hip style and reliance on onset audio, dialogue is lost in a haze of gunshots and explosions giving the film a sense of realism that few manage. The hands on shooting style brings us right into the action and the use of close up during action scenes offers an intimacy that is unmatched. Ably supported by an electro score, Blackhat is at once a damning attack on our reliance on technology aswell as a bright and playful B thriller which hurtles from one set piece to the next, yet remains a relevant and contemporary film that has a lot to say about how technology is over taking the world and how the lack of a human element may not be all it's cracked up to be.

Blackhat may never come close to reaching the dizzying height of Mann at his best, but that doesn't mean that it isn't a damn fine film. It's a treat for the eyes and once again confirms that when it comes to shooting action no one can touch Mann.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,312 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

the feel of the film was more like Miami Vice than the much cooler Collateral

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭jones

I actually totally missed this and love Mann's older stuff so think i'll check it out.
    As people say he's a real visual director much like the maligned Zac Snyder visually amazing although unfortunately the scripts aren't always the same

jones wrote: »
    I actually totally missed this and love Mann's older stuff so think i'll check it out.
    As people say he's a real visual director much like the maligned Zac Snyder visually amazing although unfortunately the scripts aren't always the same

I think you are confusing Michael Mann with Michael Bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Yeah, I can't understand the 5.4 rating on IMDB. A solid 7/10 for me. It's Mann all over and while nowhere near his best it's a gripping slow burner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭jones

I think you are confusing Michael Mann with Michael Bay.

Bay is a hack although I'll give him the first hour of the first transformers film was brilliant in the cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I dont understand the love for this film. 2/10 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Turned this off after 45mins, it's awful. Hemsworth is totally unbelievable as a hacker, his character gets free reign to run around the city and can beat up a gang of triads and get away with it, the Chinese love interest is a terrible actress and the whole movie is a big fat piece of Chinese propaganda. Worst film I have seen this year by far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

Turned this off after 45mins, it's awful. Hemsworth is totally unbelievable as a hacker, his character gets free reign to run around the city and can beat up a gang of triads and get away with it, the Chinese love interest is a terrible actress and the whole movie is a big fat piece of Chinese propaganda. Worst film I have seen this year by far.

Or, perhaps, the worst film you haven't seen this year. ;) Really liked it myself. Mann inflecting generic tropes to create his own unique brand of modern thriller. Tang Wei is very good in Lust, Caution.

Advertisement