Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Combi boiler, water tank and booster pump ?

Options
  • 20-02-2013 3:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

We're planning to upgrade from old oil boiler to gas. There's a main bathroom, ensuit, water tank in the attic and low pressure in the mains. As a part of planned attic conversion, our architect said the hot press has to go to the attic and a plumer said to get a rid of cylinder altogether and just pump the water from the tank through a combi boiler. That should save us space and be efficient for a small family. So I would like to know your opinions about this setup. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

I have a combi fitted myself and was directly fed from the mains , it was fitted when I moved into my house , the cold water was gravity fed via a storage cistern in the attic which meant unequal pressures , I have since done away with the storage tank in the attic and fitted storage tanks in the garage and and pressurised everywhere with a grundfoss mq4 pump , there is no comparison now , I fitted a bypass valve between the mains to the storage cisterns and the cold out of the pump so that if the pump ever breaks down I just have to close one valve and open another to get back up and running , another reason why I decided to plumb my system through storage tanks and pump was because my incoming watermain is prone to freezing so when this happens I am left without hot water , so this way I will have a back up of water.
    Hope this helps you .

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭GhanGee

I like your setup, I hope my pressure will be fine with a booster pump...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I would NOT have a pump in my house, if you can, Id put it outside in boiler house or garage etc... I have one in the apartment Im in now and if anyone opens the tap at night, it will wake up whoever is here, and in general they are just extremely irritating, i turn off pump at night when good pressure isnt needed...

Advertisement