Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Open fire smoking

• 28-02-2015 9:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭

We had an extension with open fire built before the summer, and now that we're using the Fire regularly we've noticed that on windy nights gusts of wind are pushing a cloud of smoke into the room every so often.
    I think there's just a bird guard on the top of the chimney, is there somethjbg that we can put at the top of the chimney to stop this? I'm fearing for the ceiling and wallpaper getting covered in soot!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

There are a number of reasons why this could be happening, but first you should check if there is sufficient backgrounf ventilation for the fire (is there a wall vent in the room where the fire is located). If the fire is starved of adequate replacement air this can cause such issues, in addition to carbon monoxide risks! If a window is left slightly open in the room does the issue still arise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Yes there is a vent in the room, on the same wall as the chimney breast. Haven't tried leaving the window open a bit. It doesn't happen every night, only nights when it's very windy and you'd almost hear a gust outside and then see the burst of smoke for a second or two. We probably see it more when the fire is starting off and maybe isn't burning strong enough to 'fight off' the wind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Does this new chimney meet all the regs on page 6 (part 2.4) HERE

Is there an apex of another roof nearby?

Well it was built by a very reputable builder so I only hope it meets regulations. One thing I should have said is that it's a single story extension so the chimney wouldn't be as long as in a two story house.
    It's not really near any other buildings (other than the one side where it's attached to existing house obviously!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

sillysocks wrote: »
    Well it was built by a very reputable builder so I only hope it meets regulations. One thing I should have said is that it's a single story extension so the chimney wouldn't be as long as in a two story house.
    It's not really near any other buildings (other than the one side where it's attached to existing house obviously!)

that could well be your problem. You need to raise the Chimney up above the Roof of the House and see if that cures it. When wind and air hit a building it can be deflected back across the top of the Chimney. This creates various pressures on the Chimney. Resulting in the type of problems your experiencing. The hotter a chimney gets the better they work. Raising it maybe the solution as it also increases the draw.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Spocker

Raising the chimney might be a bit unsightly, you could try a H-Pot or Chimney Fan : http://www.eurocowls.com/superc.html

Thanks to you both. To be honest I don't think it's bad enough to start raising the chimney (and don't have the will to have builders traipsing through again either!!). Since we started using the fire in maybe Sept/Oct it's only happened maybe 5 or 6 nights, when it's very windy.
    Do you know if there's much cost involved with buying and installing those cowls? Even ballpark?

That's kind of what I was hoping with my first post, wondering was there even a basic cowl that helped stop breezes coming down even if it didn't fully stop the wind 100%.

• Moderators Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Spocker

I can't see a Hpot being massively expensive (but I'm not sure); I do know that the fans start at around the €400 mark, and you'd need someone to take off the existing pot to fit the fan, along with the electrics - the variable switch is an extra cost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

The H cowl shouldn't be more than about 150 E. If you know of a sheet metal shop they can make one for you. May work out cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

sillysocks wrote: »
    We had an extension with open fire built before the summer, and now that we're using the Fire regularly we've noticed that on windy nights gusts of wind are pushing a cloud of smoke into the room every so often.
    I think there's just a bird guard on the top of the chimney, is there somethjbg that we can put at the top of the chimney to stop this? I'm fearing for the ceiling and wallpaper getting covered in soot!

I had that problem for years (in a 1974-built house), and over the time I had tried all sorts of cowls -- spinners, "tees", ones that were supposed to turn way from the wind but never did. I stumbled across stainless steel "Wind Kat" cowls, made in Germany, and as an engineer their design suggested to me that they should work, but they are horrendously expensive and don't seem to be available in Ireland. I contacted their UK supplier and bought one and now, even in the worst wind conditions, there is no trace whatever of a downdraft. They also have the advantage that they are very easy to fit -- they have a spigot on the base that fits into the chimney pot, so installing one is simply a matter of dropping it in. They have a hinged rain cover that can be swung out of the way for sweeping the chimney from the top down.

I have no connection with this company, so I will not post details of contacts, but I did find them very easy to deal with and very helpful. If you Google "Windkat cowls" you will find their web pages.

• Advertisement
Advertisement