Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Mixer Tap - very low pressure

Options
  • 19-02-2013 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Hope someone can help.

I'm on the top floor of a 3 story apt. block.

I recently got a bathroom renovated. Taps(separate hot and cold) on sink previously had worked fine with decent pressure.

The new mixer tap that's been installed has extremely low pressure. Plumber is saying there's nothing that can be done and it's to do with the switch to mixer/fact I'm on top floor(gravity) and the system I have.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

If your apartment does not have a pump or is not pressurised then you could have a problem with some mixer taps , you could get a tap suitable for low pressure but will never be as good as the previous taps you had

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Bold Abdu

They have installed a low pressure tap as far as I'm aware but I'm not sure if I have a pump. If I do have a pump will this make a difference & is it expensive to get installed if possible?

If I do have a pump (how can I determine this) then is this the end of it or are their any other solutions?

You would know if you have a pump as you would hear it running when you use a tap or shower , if you have a storage tank in your attic ( if you have one ) as you said your on top floor , you probably don't have a pump , its hard to say what's involved in fitting a pump if wanted without seeing the layout of your apartment , but chances are everything would end up getting pumped , which would mean whenever you flush a toilet the pump would run until the toilet refills which can be annoying in the middle of the night .

I have a mira vigour power shower which i believe has an internal pump. I guess then I don't have a pump?

So really the current pressure I am getting from the new mixer tap is as good as it will get - is this correct?

Ok if you have a mira vigour fitted then you don't have a pump in your apartment.
    I would double check with your plumber that the taps he fitted are in fact suitable for low pressure systems , but even ones for low pressure are pathetically poor for pressure , so I would have to say yes it is probably going to be as good as your going to get , your plumber should have explained this to you before fitting them , I always mention these things to a customer before fitting them as it gives them a chance to change their minds , its the same with most ballvalves that come with modern fancy toilets , they are generally not suitable for gravity pressure they take forever to refill the cistern after flushing .

• Advertisement

Ok I'm not sure what sort of tap I have in the kitchen. I thought you call it a mixer tap - it's one with two knobs a hot and cold knob that comes out in one flow mixed. I've no problems with pressure here!

I also have no problems with the pressure in my shower.

So if the pressure in the kicthen is good why not the new mixer tap in the bathroom? Is it a different system to the one in the kitchen?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

If the plumber supplied the tap then he is wrong. Its not fit for the purpose. However if you bought the tap and he fitted it then its up to you to replace it.

Tbh if the plumber was professional he would have checked the pressure on the tap.

If the plumber supplied the tap then he is wrong. Its not fit for the purpose. However if you bought the tap and he fitted it then its up to you to replace it.

Tbh if the plumber was professional he would have checked the pressure on the tap.

Thanks for all the help folks. At least I'm armed with some extra information now.

Advertisement