Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live 8 : Irish people snubbed

Options
  • 05-06-2005 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭

From breakingnews.ie:
    Irish fans not eligible for Live 8 ticket lottery
    05/06/2005 - 10:15:04

Irish music fans will not be able to go to London's Live 8 concert on July 2.

A text message lottery for the tickets is to be held tomorrow, but will not be accessible from Ireland.

The 150,000 tickets for the London concert will be awarded through an O2 UK-run text lottery, starting at 8am.

O2 Ireland is a separate franchise and is not part of the British O2 operator's system, which is why Irish customers are unable to participate in the draw.

Listeners to BBC and commercial radio stations across Britain will be asked to answer a multiple-choice question and to send a text message to a number given at the time. The winners are eligible to get two tickets to the show.

The lottery question will also be shown on big screens in seven cities across Britain, and shown live on TV.

The free event will be held in London's Hyde Park with concerts in Philadelphia, Paris, Rome and Berlin.

The original Live Aid concerts, in July 1985 in Wembley Stadium and JFK Stadium, Philadelphia, raised £40m (€59.3m) for famine relief in Africa.

This is a huge snub to Irish people, when you think that Bob Geldof is Irish and some of the main acts are Irish (U2, Snow Patrol etc) it seems that in this one huge event AGAINST capitalism, a UK mobile phone company which makes massive profits every year is being given exclusivity to this event.

It's a shame because I know a lot of Irish people, myself included, that would really like to support and attend this event.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

wouldnt they feed more people if they charged entry? where does most of the money come from?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

But I doubt that people in Spain or Holland or Belgium or etc can enter the lotterys for the shows in Paris, Berlin or Rome for the same reasons though. Its a different phone network supporting the shows in a different country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

They should've put one of the concerts in dublin! I would pay to see the gig and then there would be loads of money for all the poor countries... Didn't really think it through now did they?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

snow patrol not northern irish and scottish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

wouldnt they feed more people if they charged entry? where does most of the money come from?

People are expected to ring up and make donations while watching the concert.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

deisedolly wrote:
    They should've put one of the concerts in dublin! I would pay to see the gig and then there would be loads of money for all the poor countries... Didn't really think it through now did they?

They dont want money this time, aparrently hand outs arnt the problem.
    They just want to send a message to the G8 hence the LIVE8 name I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

You can enter by post - this is taken from the BBC website
    HOW TO ENTER
    Answer the question: Which city is nearest to the G8 summit in July? A) Berlin, B) Moscow, C) Edinburgh
    Text the letters A, B or C to 84599 between 8am Monday and midnight Sunday 12 June
    Calls cost £1.50 (plus operators' standard network rate)
    Competitors must be at least 16
    Answers can also be sent on a postcard to Live 8 Ticket Competition, PO Box 4026, Leamington Spa, CV31 9AZ by 1300 BST on Friday.

Dunno if we will win any, but at least we could try!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

moshpit77 wrote:
    UK mobile phone company which makes massive profits every year is being given exclusivity to this event.

It appears the network is not making any profit from this event:
    LIVE 8 London ticketing is being facilitated by O2, with all the UK's network operators getting behind the event and waiving their normal premium rate text charges

Also you can enter the comp by postcard, maybe giving the address of yer
    buddy in the UK or North of Ireland.
    I think I'll send in a few..
    R

What city is the forthcoming G8 summit being held near this July?
    A) Berlin B) Moscow C) Edinburgh
    Text A, B or C to 84599*

Participants can also enter the competition by sending their response A, B or C on a postcard with their full name and address to:
    Live 8 Ticket Competition,
    PO Box 4026,
    Leamington Spa,
    CV31 9AZ

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Maddzy

HarryD wrote:
    It appears the network is not making any profit from this event:

From ticketscrazy.com:

"Mobiles giant in Live8 row (Evening Standard)MOBILE phones giant O2 is set to rake in £7m from the text message lottery for Live8 tickets. The company has refused to waive its administration cost of 10p per message for the lottery, which opens at 8am on Monday."

From live8live.com (official site):

"Each entry costs £1.50* plus your operator's standard text charge."

From what i gather from the site, most of the 1.50 goes to charity, but the other 10p to O2. So much for anti-capatilism, good game lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

i am most pissed off, i really wanted to see velvet revolver and muse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Eoghan-psych

Intentional or otherwise, it makes sense - as it is, this level of people movement arranged at this short notice is going to cause chaos. Imagine the extra chaos if people were travelling from another country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

there are plenty of concerts at hyde park during the summer that will have 15-0,000 people attending a lot of whom will be form other countries. how is it any different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 thiscityburns

There's still room on the dissent busses to the g8 this summer, 100 for ten days 1st-10th of july and 90 for 3days 5th-7th of july. www.dissentireland.org

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

There's still room on the dissent busses to the g8 this summer, 100 for ten days 1st-10th of july and 90 for 3days 5th-7th of july. www.dissentireland.org

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭De Mad Yoke

Apparetly O2 isnt making any money out of this the money from the txt messages is goin to the LIVE 8 funds for charity. Heard it on channel 4 news.
    Olé!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

the interest is nothing got to do with anti capitalism, people just want to see a free concert and say "I was there....."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Thought you may be interested in this.
    (Personally, I don't know why a concert wasnt organised for Dublin...).

Statement from O2 regarding Live 8

O2 wishes to clarify the situation regarding customers in Ireland not being part of the text lottery system for tickets to the Live 8 concert in July in the UK. The competition is being run by Live 8 and a third party supplier used by O2 UK called Mobile Interactive Group. The competition is bound by UK competition law which restricts residents outside the UK participating in the competition. This is entirely outside the control of O2 UK and O2 Ireland. O2 has no say in the rules of the competition. O2 is supporting Live 8 through its supplier, Mobile Interactive Group, and through helping Live 8 with the distribution of tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Whats makes you think this concert is against capitalism. Capitalism and charity can co-exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Eoghan-psych

Blisterman wrote:
    Whats makes you think this concert is against capitalism. Capitalism and charity can co-exist.

Two different forms. You're thinking of the European style - "let the rich get richer, but make bloody sure the poor have bread" which works fine. The American alternative is "the rich get richer, at all costs". Decidedly not what live8 is about.

Advertisement