Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice - Which New Electric Guitar

• 25-05-2015 7:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭

I've had a Fender F65 LH acoustic now for over 30 years. Great guitar but I've fancied an electric for quite some time now, especially as the LH models have come down dramatically in price over the years. Problem is I know virtually nothing about what to look for, which is best, why the big price differences between models etc.

Waltons appear to have a good choice of LH Fenders in their range. (I want to stay with a large retailer as I may trade the acoustic in when I buy as I really won't need two guitars).

With my limited knowledge, the Fender Standard Strats at €639 seem good and within my budget. Is the Telecaster a better guitar to handle (these are €679) or is it just the tone that differs ? Also, the Fender Squire Classic Vibe 50s is only €475. Still a fair few squid I know but why the difference ?

I only want to do this once and not end up switching again in another 30 years :D so any advice welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,093 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Strats and Teles sound quite different, but there's differences in feel too. Strats have tummy and forearm contours in the bodies - areas that are carved for comfort. Standard Teles don't have these. The Strat you're talking about has a vibrato (tremolo) mechanism, the Tele doesn't. If you don't need a trem for your playing, you might be better off without it (I've blocked mine up on one guitar because I don't need it).

The difference between the Fenders and the Squiers will be build quality and the fact that the Squiers are all built in 3rd party factories in China or Indonesia, whereas the two Fenders you're looking at are built in Fender's own factory in Mexico. The more expensive Fenders are built in the U.S.

It's up to you to decide if those differences are worth the price difference or not. The Classic Vibe line are very well regarded (as are Squier's Vintage Modified line).

Best thing to do is to block off an afternoon and go into a couple of guitar shops and spend a good while trying out everything. Some guitars might just click with you better than others.

Personally, I'd take a Tele over a Strat any day (I have a Mexican Standard Tele that I love), but that's not going to mean anything to your own experience. Try them all and then make your choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭freddieot

Much appreciate the advice. I'm leaning towards the Strat but I suppose you are dead right about putting some time aside and trying a few different ones to hear and feel the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭freddieot

Well, new Fender Strat on the way from Thomanns. All In have to do now is practice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,093 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

freddieot wrote: »
    Well, new Fender Strat on the way from Thomanns. All In have to do now is practice :)

... and post up a pic here or in the gear thread when it arrives :)

Advertisement