Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 month old mobile phone: repair or replacement?

Options
  • 31-05-2013 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Was hoping someone might be able to advise me about my mobile phone's warranty...

Very simply, my smartphone is 8 months' old and has suddenly started freezing and/or turning itself off. I haven't dropped it or damaged it in any cosmetic way.

Just wondering what O2 - the retailer - will say when I bring it in to them. Can I ask for a replacement or am I obliged to accept a repair?

Be very grateful for any insight.

Thanks

W

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I know from experience O2 generally just gives replacements. If you get offered a repair. Say you will think about it and go to the next store and try again. My dad brought his iphone up to the Apple store in Belfast as they were at a funeral there and for £130 he got a brand new fresh from the box replacement

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You're obliged to accept a repair if that's their first offer. If they fail to repair it, they will probably try to insist on sending it back again but at that stage you're within your rights to refuse a further attempt at a repair.

They will almost certainly wipe the entire phone in the process so back up contacts, photos, etc first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

hfallada wrote: »
    I know from experience O2 generally just gives replacements. If you get offered a repair. Say you will think about it and go to the next store and try again. My dad brought his iphone up to the Apple store in Belfast as they were at a funeral there and for £130 he got a brand new fresh from the box replacement

Hi hfallade, thanks for your reply.

Just wondering, though: your dad paid £130 for a replacement? Was this on insurance?

MYOB wrote: »
    You're obliged to accept a repair if that's their first offer. If they fail to repair it, they will probably try to insist on sending it back again but at that stage you're within your rights to refuse a further attempt at a repair.

They will almost certainly wipe the entire phone in the process so back up contacts, photos, etc first.

Thanks, MYOB.

IS that because the phone's more than 6 months' old or just the way it always is?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    Thanks, MYOB.

IS that because the phone's more than 6 months' old or just the way it always is?

Always is. Most networks will do a direct replacement if something goes extremely early but that is their own offer, not the law.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    Always is. Most networks will do a direct replacement if something goes extremely early but that is their own offer, not the law.

Nice one, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You are entitled to a refund, repair or replacement (under Consumer Law). Generally, this is arrived in agreement between the retailer and consumer. The law is all about what is reasonable.

In this case, it's reasonable to allow O2 one chance at repair. If the repair isn't permanent, then you are reasonably entitled to reject further repairs and instead push for replacement or refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

No one in our family has insurance. It's a bit of waste of money. We told apple on the phone the issue and they told us to go to our local store. But they had a few questions on the phone. I can't remember what the issue was. But when my dad got there they checked to see there was no water damage.

It was the iPhone 3GS as it was the phone that was out at the time. It was a brand new replacement.

Try o2 store first as in my experience they generally offer a replacement and no repair

dudara wrote: »
    You are entitled to a refund, repair or replacement (under Consumer Law). Generally, this is arrived in agreement between the retailer and consumer. The law is all about what is reasonable.

In this case, it's reasonable to allow O2 one chance at repair. If the repair isn't permanent, then you are reasonably entitled to reject further repairs and instead push for replacement or refund.

Thanks, Dudara. Great advice :)

No one in our family has insurance. It's a bit of waste of money. We told apple on the phone the issue and they told us to go to our local store. But they had a few questions on the phone. I can't remember what the issue was. But when my dad got there they checked to see there was no water damage.

It was the iPhone 3GS as it was the phone that was out at the time. It was a brand new replacement.

Try o2 store first as in my experience they generally offer a replacement and no repair

Will do. Thanks for the advice :)

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for your posts. Will visit an O2 store and take it from there. Very grateful to you all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

That service is no longer done by o2. It was something brought it in 2006 for any phone that went faulty inside 12 months you got a replacement straight away in-store.

Now the swap is given when the fault is in the first month if bought online or 7 days if bought from a store. After that it is sent for repair, and fixed free under warranty

Advertisement