Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harley Benton Guitars

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

Joe Doe wrote: »
    All these very cheap guitars are pure mucky muck, whether it's stagg/vintage/HarleyBenton etc etc.
    They're effectively all made in same/similar Chinese factories as 'white label products' the logo is just stuck on afterwards.

Best bet is aim for 2nd hand decent mid-range offerings for the same price as new muck.
    Fenders(squires-mex)/Ibanez(grg) or maybe maybe Epiphones(kor) Horhner, or Tanglewoods etc
    - Will hold their value regardless and always play+sound better.

I remember as a kid in the 80s owning a Ross Distortion and Compressor
    and selling them because they were cheap
    I also remember playing a Sunn Mustang and thinking it was a brilliant guitar but not buying it because it was £99 , I was telling a friend about it that night and I remember his reply was " It cant be any worse than those Japanese Fenders "

These were the new muck of their day

Not that I'm defending all cheap guitars but the Harley benton I got a few weeks ago is as good as any Epiphone Ive owned and it only cost €150
    Its not as refined as my 2 Gibsons and needed a bit of work but for the price it pushes value for money to the limit
    My son owns the Vintage V100 and I dont consider it a Les Paul but its a great guitar to play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Definitely agree. The first "proper" guitar I owned was a BC rick warlock that was €300 or so. Now looking back, it's as ugly as sin, but in hindsight actually sounds pretty good, and it is by far the most comfortable neck I have ever played on in all the 18 years I've been playing. I actually still have the neck, can't bring myself to throw it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

A fender squire (affinity) is cheap as chips, about the price of a vintage/harley/copeland/stagg/encore/burswood etc, but the parts quality (and more important the playability) is miles apart.

This comparability also runs through when discussing amps, a cheap 50bob fender amp will blow away any of those Chinese 'virtually unbranded' white label amps, which even use 'unbranded speakers' and bargain wires/knobs.

The worst guitar I've ever seen was a new Encore, warped and unplayable anywhere past the 8th fret.

The best quality, pound for pound is the combination of a fairly cheap Ibanez RG 270 and 80's Marshall AVT 50/100w (Valvestate) maybe a few hundred for the pair (2nd hand). Else a squire if you don't need a hot rock sound with an Ibanez.

topcatcbr wrote: »
    Was it one of the models they currently sell or have they changed.

I think I should get delivery of the CST-24 tomorrow. I really hope its as good as the L450+ you got. I don't expect a PRS but a nice tone and good workmanship would be nice.

Did you get it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

Not yet. I thought (hoping) itwould be today. I won't be home tomorrow. According to the tracking it's out for delivery. I'll pick it up on Thursday.

• Advertisement

Joe Doe wrote: »
    A fender squire (affinity) is cheap as chips, about the price of a vintage/harley/copeland/stagg/encore/burswood etc, but the parts quality (and more important the playability) is miles apart.

This comparability also runs through when discussing amps, a cheap 50bob fender amp will blow away any of those Chinese 'virtually unbranded' white label amps, which even use 'unbranded speakers' and bargain wires/knobs.

The worst guitar I've ever seen was a new Encore, warped and unplayable anywhere past the 8th fret.

The best quality, pound for pound is the combination of a fairly cheap Ibanez RG 270 and 80's Marshall AVT 50/100w (Valvestate) maybe a few hundred for the pair (2nd hand). Else a squire if you don't need a hot rock sound with an Ibanez.

That's your opinion and that's fine. However I'm looking for something a bit different than a squire to be honest and hoping for something a little better. If the reviews of the other HB delux series guitars are anything to go by it should be better than a squire. Not knocking squires by the way. They are good for what they are. Just not for me.

Oh I hate when that happens
    Nothing worse than waiting all day and nothing shows up

Oh I hate when that happens Nothing worse than waiting all day and nothing shows up

Got home and found the post notice about it being attempted delivery. Tomorrow morning I'll go and get it.

Collected the guitar from the post office. Brought it home and opened it. Gave it a quick inspection and was impressed by the general build and equipment levels.

Brought it up to my amp (Bugera V22 combo). Plugged in and tuned up. Not much out of tune.

Neck pick up sounds the more usable to me initially. Quite bluesy and warm. The bridge pickup is brighter as you'd expect and I have not yet got a tone setting on it that I really like yet but I'm sure its there. Both pickups are Wilkinson HBs.

I notice on playing that this guitar is not well set up and I have to get this done.

I clear the kitchen table and get to work. I first try to remove the truss rod cover. For this there are 3 Phillips screws. Two of them come out fine but one is particularly stubborn. After much persuasion it comes out and I see why it was so difficult. The screw was slightly bent. As a result I have wrung the head and will need to replace it.

Now that the truss rod is exposed I can start to work it. I have it almost straight and the strings are a bit closer to fret board but not yet good enough. The bridge needs to be lowered. At this point I decided to remove all the strings and have a good look as I never adjusted a wrap over type bridge before. I loosen the truss rod to neutral and screw the bridge to home position. While strings are off I polished the frets. They were a little tarnished but nothing major. I then oiled the fret board and I'm waiting for it to soak in while I type this. I'll then wipe off excess

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

How do the frets feel? Are they sharp? Also did you check and see how the nut was cut?

Interested in picking one up but don't really want it to involve too much work, particularly not fretwork anyways.

• Advertisement

_Tyrrell_ wrote:
    How do the frets feel? Are they sharp? Also did you check and see how the nut was cut?

They are fine. All they needed was a rub of fret polishing cloth. I got the action set up in about 30 min. Its great value for money.

I recently sold a Gibson SG standard costing €1200 new. I'd put this close in quality. Its a nicer looking guitar. The only thing really in the Gibson's favour is it came fully set up. Tone wise its personal preference. The good thing is it can be sent back for a full refund if you're not happy.

I got the one with the wrap over bridge. I have no use for a trem so I didn't get it. The wrap over bridge is simple to adjust. The tuners work perfectly. The only let down was the action really. If you are confident to do that I'd go for it.

Pic

Pic2

Pic 3

Glad you like it !

If you have a stubborn screw try heating it with a soldering iron for a few seconds and then try removing it
    The screw expands with the heat etc, etc.
    You might get the broken one out this way or buy a prs trc which might be bigger than the HB one

Do the pots need replacing ?
    Is the body very close to PRS specs ?

That heel joint looks very tidy
    any idea of how many pieces the body is ?

Ive done a deal on adverts for a set of Peavey T-60 pickups for my LP
    I ve owned Two T-60s but ended up selling them because of the very skinny neck

The tone controls also act as a roll off coil split and a phase switch can give you strat ,tele lp and P-90 tones
    and sound superb as well
    Cant wait !

Got the screws out. But I'm only putting two back as I wrung the head of one. It looks very similar to a PRS. how close it is actually I don't know. I posted pics. I'm on an iPad so not sure if they come out. As for pots. I think they'll do me. The biggest issue I had was the setup. I don't think thoaman tried to set it up at all. The finish is immaculate. I have gotten the action quite playable but I might still send it in for a professional set up in time.

A wraparound is very easy to set up

If the nuts too high take it out and sand a little off the bottom rather than filing the slots
    adjust the truss and then lower the bridge

When adjusting the pickup height I get someone to play while I adjust so I can hear what sounds best

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Binnster

Hi Guys,
    Just wondering if one of these Harley Bentons are good enough for my daughter. She is 11 and recently started learning guitar. She goes to lessons learning with an acoustic and is coming on in leaps and bounds. She wants to start with the electric now and has seen a couple of starter sets on the Thomann website. Will they be good enough for her or should we look at other brands? I know nothing so any help would be appreciated.

Binnster wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    Just wondering if one of these Harley Bentons are good enough for my daughter. She is 11 and recently started learning guitar. She goes to lessons learning with an acoustic and is coming on in leaps and bounds. She wants to start with the electric now and has seen a couple of starter sets on the Thomann website. Will they be good enough for her or should we look at other brands? I know nothing so any help would be appreciated.

They would be fine for her
    I would however bring her to a guitar shop and let her get a feel for which type of guitar she likes be it a Strat, Tele, les paul etc . Strats would probably suit best as they will fit her body better
    Then buy on thomann

I wouldnt buy the cheapest Harley benton but the Vintage series get great reviews and only cost €111

http://www.thomann.de/ie/harley_benton_st_62_sb_vintage_series.htm#bewertung

I would also consider buying the amp separate as well

These are a brilliant little amp

http://www.thomann.de/ie/harley_benton_st_62_sb_vintage_series.htm#bewertung

topcatcbr wrote: »
    Collected the guitar from the post office. Brought it home and opened it. Gave it a quick inspection and was impressed by the general build and equipment levels.

Brought it up to my amp (Bugera V22 combo). Plugged in and tuned up. Not much out of tune.

Neck pick up sounds the more usable to me initially. Quite bluesy and warm. The bridge pickup is brighter as you'd expect and I have not yet got a tone setting on it that I really like yet but I'm sure its there. Both pickups are Wilkinson HBs.

I notice on playing that this guitar is not well set up and I have to get this done.

I clear the kitchen table and get to work. I first try to remove the truss rod cover. For this there are 3 Phillips screws. Two of them come out fine but one is particularly stubborn. After much persuasion it comes out and I see why it was so difficult. The screw was slightly bent. As a result I have wrung the head and will need to replace it.

Now that the truss rod is exposed I can start to work it. I have it almost straight and the strings are a bit closer to fret board but not yet good enough. The bridge needs to be lowered. At this point I decided to remove all the strings and have a good look as I never adjusted a wrap over type bridge before. I loosen the truss rod to neutral and screw the bridge to home position. While strings are off I polished the frets. They were a little tarnished but nothing major. I then oiled the fret board and I'm waiting for it to soak in while I type this. I'll then wipe off excess

A few weeks on ... You still happy with it ?

• Advertisement

Actually I'm more happy now than before. I have it finally set up right. I really like this guitar. Starting to consider another purchase. Either the telle or strat copy. Something with straight PUs.

I'm very happy with my les paul as well
    I put Peavey T-60 Pickups in it and wired it to spec its perfect now
    T-60 are one of my favourite sounding guitars , Ive had 2 but just cant handle the super skinny neck and huge body so this is the perfect alternative . Im thinking of getting another one shortly something with P-90s

I'm looking at an acoustic from them.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/harley_benton_cld_30scm_ce_solidwood.htm

It looks really nice. I'd like a ceder top acoustic and this looks interesting.

What do you think.

I was looking at that one myself, specs seem very good & Reviews are good.
    The only downside would be resale value. You would probably lose €50 or so on the electric but I reckon you'd be lucky to get €200 for this if you sold it on adverts

My acoustic is one of these
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/recording_king_ro_126_na.htm
    Im a sucker for 000's
    Built to pre war Martin 000-18 specs, all solid, bone nut & saddles, Grover vintage tuners
    It sounded very good when I got it but has really opened up over the last year

They also do a few cosmetically stripped down versions but built to same quality

I never buy to resell so its not an issue really. I already have a tangle wood super jumbo with a spruce top. I got it at a great price and love it. My last guitar was a Yamaha fg730 dreadnought with a spruce top. I kept it until a few months ago. So I only have one acoustic. I'd like something that sounds different to my tangle so I'm thinking of a ceder top. It would be perfect if it also had something other than mahogany back and sides just to change the tone further. That's why I'm not sure. I'm only brousing but as I'm sure you know that often leads to GAS. The price is high for a HB product. Also considering it don't come with a case add €100 approx you're now at somewhere in the region of €500. This should get a really nice nearly new branded guitar. So it would want to be really good.

Gas! Its my birthday next week and I'm in a tizzy with Gas

If the resale value isn't a problem its worth a shot
    I've played a few cedar topped guitars and they did sound good

Youll have a bit of a wait though; back in stock 15th July

Advertisement