Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harley Benton Guitars

Options
  • 26-05-2013 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi

I am thinking of getting a Harley Benton LP 450 plus vintage series from Thomann.I have done as much research as I can on these guitars and they seem to tick all the Les Paul boxes i.e Mahogany body , set neck , maple top and wilkinson pick ups , from what I see and hear on youtube vids they sound good and accomplished guitarists are using them live.They do get mixed reviews but thats the same with all brands I suppose.

So I go into a local guitar shop for some plecs and get talking to the guitar tech/sales guy and mention my interest in Harley Benton , he tells me they're the greatest load of crap he's seen that they wont tune , the bridge is in the wrong place and numerous other faults infact theyre the only brand they wont accept as trade ins.
    He recommends the Vintage brand (which he stocks) which I know of and hear great things about but for one with all the right (LP) specs of the Harley Benton your talking twice the price.

So in short is there anyone out there thats bought/played one of these that could sway me either way I have only started playing again after 20 years and would be intermediate level at most

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

I got one of the harley benton Teles a few years ago & it was pure muck
    cant speak for their LPs though
    Ive had 3 of the Vintage Les Pauls and all have been great guitars for the price
    one of them needed a bit of work done on it, new tuners sharp fret ends but ended up an excellent guitar

Look on adverts !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Haven't played either but the Vintage guitars are generally well regarded. Solid construction, nice players and sound good apparently.
    If they're similar money, the Vintage may be a safer bet. Epiphone are decent enough too, even though I always feel their Les Pauls don't quite nail their Gibson counterparts as well as their semis and SGs.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭SamBrugha

I have an old hb bass I'm trying to fix up at the moment... The only usable part is the body! Electronics are muck, the neck warps, the hardware wares down when you alter it,tuners don't stay tuned.

You would be better getting a squire epiphone sx vintage Ltd dean or whatever guitar! Some times Harley benton look nice but never trust them

Harley Benton is Thomann's own brand. I don't know if they source them from one manufacturer or multiple, but I suspect multiple, because they have some fairly diverse models. It means that there may be some pigs and some gems in the range. Problem is, buying online, you can't try them. Unless someone you know has the model you're looking at.
    A friend of mine bought a Jack and Danny as a stop gap when his Ibanez died. He was saving for a Jackson/Schecter. He played it for 2-3 years. Very happy with it. Bought the Schecter eventually. Can't say I ever tried it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rdub73

Cheers

I'm leaning towards the Vintage alright just missed out on one on Ebay yesterday that went for £70

• Advertisement

Whats your budget ?
    Are you set on a Les Paul or consider Strats Teles sg's etc

Whats your budget ?
    Are you set on a Les Paul or consider Strats Teles sg's etc

I could stretch to about €160 (have to get amp as well) I actually have an aria tele which is really understated and great to play and at first was going to part exchange for an LP but think ill hold on to it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

To be honest i'd try get another 50-100 euro saved up and get something that'll blow anything in your current price range away.I recently picked up a Michael Kelly patriot on adverts (at a very very reasonable price) which i've been blown away by.It would rival my gibson LP now that i have changed all the electronics,but by stock standards it's just beautiful.

pmcmahon wrote: »
    To be honest i'd try get another 50-100 euro saved up and get something that'll blow anything in your current price range away.I recently picked up a Michael Kelly patriot on adverts (at a very very reasonable price) which i've been blown away by.It would rival my gibson LP now that i have changed all the electronics,but by stock standards it's just beautiful.

Wise words. I know the urge to get something now can be hard to resist, but a few quid at that level can be the difference between a real player and a real pig. A few euro more and keep an eye on adverts.ie and donedeal and a nice Vintage or Epiphone should be easy enough to come by. Stay away from Epiphones with a bolt on neck. Nothing like a Les Paul in my experience.

il gatto wrote: »
    Wise words. I know the urge to get something now can be hard to resist, but a few quid at that level can be the difference between a real player and a real pig. A few euro more and keep an eye on adverts.ie and donedeal and a nice Vintage or Epiphone should be easy enough to come by. Stay away from Epiphones with a bolt on neck. Nothing like a Les Paul in my experience.

What about a vintage v99 I found on adverts it has a bolt on neck though ! It's a toss up between that and a epi standard ?

• Advertisement

With Les Paul's I would usually keep away from the bolt on's
    theres a few decent ones on adverts
    Have a look at the Burny which would be good quality, a nice Tokai on there as well

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/music-instruments-equipment/guitar-bass/191/q_les+paul/sortby_price-asc/price_150-250/

Also Waltons is due their sale shortly
    You could pick up a Cheap Epi or new Gibson Melody Maker for under €300

With Les Paul's I would usually keep away from the bolt on's
    theres a few decent ones on adverts
    Have a look at the Burny which would be good quality, a nice Tokai on there as well

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/music-instruments-equipment/guitar-bass/191/q_les+paul/sortby_price-asc/price_150-250/

Also Waltons is due their sale shortly
    You could pick up a Cheap Epi or new Gibson Melody Maker for under €300

Ha they are literary my watch list , the only thing stopping me on most is location, thinking of offering 190 for this http://www.adverts.ie/3183755

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Owldshtok

rdub73 wrote: »
    Hi

I am thinking of getting a Harley Benton LP 450 plus vintage series from Thomann.I have done as much research as I can on these guitars and they seem to tick all the Les Paul boxes i.e Mahogany body , set neck , maple top and wilkinson pick ups , from what I see and hear on youtube vids they sound good and accomplished guitarists are using them live.They do get mixed reviews but thats the same with all brands I suppose.

So I go into a local guitar shop for some plecs and get talking to the guitar tech/sales guy and mention my interest in Harley Benton , he tells me they're the greatest load of crap he's seen that they wont tune , the bridge is in the wrong place and numerous other faults infact theyre the only brand they wont accept as trade ins.
    He recommends the Vintage brand (which he stocks) which I know of and hear great things about but for one with all the right (LP) specs of the Harley Benton your talking twice the price.

So in short is there anyone out there thats bought/played one of these that could sway me either way I have only started playing again after 20 years and would be intermediate level at most

Cheers

They are total rubbish.And anyway some poor buck who's trying to sell his barely used Vintage on adverts for next to nothing deserves your money more than the thomann empire

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

Harely Benton's are pure muck. Very poor sounding and feeling guitars. I would recommend buying an Epi Les Paul second hand, they'd go for about your price range (as mentioned stay away from bolt on's)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

pmcmahon wrote: »

Other guitarist in my band has one, absolutely gorgeous! They need a little lovin' to get going alright (his needed new saddles, the stock ones kept breaking strings), but after that it was absolutely gorgeous.

Thanks for the Adverts.ie tip Lads , Nearly went with a V99 but am on my way to pick up a Tanglewood LP .
    Some great guitars on adverts , Id never consider going near a shop with the selection of guitars and accesories available for dirt cheap

Thanks again:)

Tanglewood tsb58cb the tone out of these are exceptional

Tanglewood tsb58cb the tone out of these are exceptional

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

Funny how opinions change

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I think Thomann's quality/manufacturers may have changed during that time too. This is 2 year old thread where people were talking about "old" HB instruments, so I assume we're going back 5 or more years.

The only HB instrument I have is an acoustic bass that I got about 7 years ago. It's fine, but i've never played another acoustic bass to compare it against. I have a few of their electric guitars in my wishlist, but haven't pulled the trigger yet (no room at home for more gear)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Harley Benton do some nice own brand electronics for those without moral scruples. I think a good few of their pedals are rebranded joyo, so pretty close to those they are cloning. I have a power block (two of them actually) that's five independent power loops in the one unit. Great value and no hum. Much better for powering a few pedals than the daisy chain method imo. Only problem is you have to rewire the euro of on it, but it's easy to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Harley Benton do some nice own brand electronics for those without moral scruples.

What have moral scruples got to do with it? :confused:

Yep Opinions change alright!

Although a few years ago I was then inquiring about anyone's experience of HB's . Since then I've had a go on a Lp and one of their semi hollow's , My brother in-law also bought one on adverts to customize and have to say they're not bad at all and with the Wilko pups they are excellent value . They have a good few new models out now and with solid mahogany bodies and decent hardware I,d go for one no problem! I actually have my eye on their AFD Les Paul which has the upgraded zebra wilko pups and looks the dogs :) Only downside for me anyway is the necks are a bit chunky , I prefer the 60 profile on my Vintage LP , but that's a personal preference.

I am looking at their guitars. Their delux models and I suspect they may be rebranded vintage/tone king products. I have ordered a Cst-24. I think it's a model vintage call vrs150 but I cannot be certain. They do look fairly identical. Also see the same with the les Paul l450plus it looks a lot like a vintage with same spec and hardware. They are a good bit cheaper than the equivalent vintage.

I have a Vintage les paul as well as the L450 plus and they are two totally different guitars
    The L450 is identical to my Gibson apart from the headstock and bridge pins
    The Vintage V100 is thinner wrong shape and feels completely different
    I would be very surprised if they were built by the same company

I got one of the harley benton Teles a few years ago & it was pure muck
    cant speak for their LPs though

God I forgot about that thing
    It really was a POS ,gave it away to a friend for nothing

Was it one of the models they currently sell or have they changed.

I think I should get delivery of the CST-24 tomorrow. I really hope its as good as the L450+ you got. I don't expect a PRS but a nice tone and good workmanship would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Mad_Dave

I remember looking at HB guitars a few years back, they were pretty bad. They seem to have come on leaps and bounds since then, to the point where it looks like Gibson have decided to step in a force a few design changes to the LP, SG and 335 models

Not all bad news though, along with the design changes, which HB say are "slight", the new models will feature improved pickups and/or hardware depending on model number.

Best news of all though is that they're doing a lefty version of the new 335 copy - I'm gonna be highly tempted by that one !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

All these very cheap guitars are pure mucky muck, whether it's stagg/vintage/HarleyBenton etc etc.
    They're effectively all made in same/similar Chinese factories as 'white label products' the logo is just stuck on afterwards.

Best bet is aim for 2nd hand decent mid-range offerings for the same price as new muck.
    Fenders(squires-mex)/Ibanez(grg) or maybe maybe Epiphones(kor) Horhner, or Tanglewoods etc
    - Will hold their value regardless and always play+sound better.

• Advertisement

topcatcbr wrote: »
    Was it one of the models they currently sell or have they changed.

I think I should get delivery of the CST-24 tomorrow. I really hope its as good as the L450+ you got. I don't expect a PRS but a nice tone and good workmanship would be nice.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/harley_benton_hbt30be_egitarre.htm

It was this one
    My wife bought it for me as a christmas present
    It was back in 2006 though, everything was cheap about it

Advertisement