Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unwanted trees on public property

Options
  • 05-03-2012 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi boards,

Just hoping someone would be able to help me or give me some advice.

Basically there are very large trees located just behind my back garden wall on council property.

These trees completely remove any sun light and cover the garden in pine needles.

Is there anyway that the local council (Wicklow) are obliged to trim them down or is it completely my responsibility?

Thanks
    Dan

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

dan.inc wrote: »
    Hi boards,

Basically there are very large trees located just behind my back garden wall on council property.

These trees completely remove any sun light and cover the garden in pine needles.

Is there anyway that the local council (Wicklow) are obliged to trim them down or is it completely my responsibility?

Thanks
    Dan

The trees are not on your land and you cannot touch them,as they aint yours to touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 dan.inc

Thanks Paddy. But do you know if they are obliged to trim them given they completely remove any sun light and have my garden destroyed?

They also hang into my garden if that helps.

Thanks

Dan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Thanks Paddy. But do you know if they are obliged to trim them given they completely remove any sun light and have my garden destroyed?

They also hang into my garden if that helps.

Thanks

Dan

I would say you would need to speak to the county council about the matter and ask one of their reps to come out to your propperty to see the potential issue.

The trees could be rare and/or very old,so cutting them back yourself,might land you in alot of trouble and in court (potentially).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

and it may not be cheap for the council to move them; especially if they've used up their budget for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,113 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I agree with the above points, though you should be able to cut off overhanging branches that come into your garden.

It is rather irritating that these trees which are probably not serving any very useful purpose cannot be dealt with, while house owners adjacent to a big ancient hedge that was specifically protected in their planning permission just got a jcb in on a (series of) Saturday mornings. By the time any one could be persuaded to take an interest the hedge was gone. They eventually got a reproving letter telling them they couldn't do that, and that was it. Hedge gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭brian_t

But do you know if they are obliged to trim them given they completely remove any sun light and have my garden destroyed?

Unfortunately as far as I understand it you do not have a right to sunlight in your garden.

There is no harm in discussing it with the Council though.
    You may find though that other neighbours unaffected by the trees might object to them being cut or trimmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

I had a similar situation but with SDCC - Wicklow CC may be the same.
    You can trim back branches that are overhanging into your property, but you cannot touch any other part of the tree.
    Give them a call and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Hi boards,

Thanks
    Dan

Before attempting any cutting I would recommend you contact the Parks Dept of your local Council, better still go and meet them. You will be very surprised how sympathetic and responsive they are to reasonable approaches.

Advertisement