Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landscaping on small budget

Options
  • 04-03-2012 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,
    I posted here about a year ago as I had intended on doing our garden in D.I.Y mode!this hasn't happened for various reasons and I havn't even thought of it in months!I have a site which is about 3/4 acre with steep bank at back of house where drainage probably needs to be addressed as its quite wet/swampy in parts.
    Basically I am wondering if I would be able to get grass on about half the site,bit of drainage work and possibly some planting for about 4 or 5 thousand euro?
    Am I mad thinking that I could get work done for that price or is that reasonable?
    I havn't contacted anyone yet to quote or have a look yet partly because I'm unsure if I'm completely daft in thinking that this budget would cover it!
    Because the area is so large and the back of the house steep/complicated I would prefer to have professional do it properly
    Any advice much appreciated even if it is to tell me I'm daft! : )

Dee

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Budget does seem unrealistic but beware you could end up wasting the money on undertaking inferior work.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭fatoftheland

had similar garden and slopes and all. you could do a lot for 5k. its still a work in progress but if you can do the work yourself you will save a fortune.
    have all drainage done top soil added and a fair few plants in place and more to do in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dee94

Thanks that helps folks!
    I know I probably would save a lot doing it ourselves but husband wouldn't have great idea or skill in that area and don't even know anyone who could do bit work etc.would put the planting on the long finger if I could get drainage and grass done for that price.to be fair there was some drainage work done when the house was built but I'm guessing not enough as the area that's steep is very wet and there's rushes growing there also.

a guy on a track machine should be able to do all drainage work in two days tops aprox E700 25t of stone E250 and if u need a role of shore pipe E100. depends where u are. i did 1 acre reseeding its a few hours work with the right equipment cost should be E300ish and E100 for seed E100 for lime and some fertiliser. if you need any more info let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

a guy on a track machine should be able to do all drainage work in two days tops aprox E700 25t of stone E250 and if u need a role of shore pipe E100. depends where u are. i did 1 acre reseeding its a few hours work with the right equipment cost should be E300ish and E100 for seed E100 for lime and some fertiliser. if you need any more info let me know

I would be interested to know more details on what stone is available for €250for 25T loads presumably delivered?

Can you also provide more details (and ideally some before and after pics) of a typical 1 acre re-seeding as you outlined?

• Advertisement

i rang the quarry for a load last year and thats what they charged it was only a 3 mile trip. have no photos yet but the lawn was fine after work was complete. i have the equipment so it wasnt an overly difficult job

Advertisement