Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I try out the following guitar pedals?

Options
  • 13-05-2015 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

Just wondering if I could get some advice from you experienced music philes. I have a sort of a hotlist for the most wanted pedals I want to try out, but seeing as this is Dublin, chances of finding any high-end music gear are slim to none.

I realize that there is an invention called the internet and I could get stuff online but I just wanted to have a good test drive at these following stomp boxes before I'm gonna stretch my wallet - just so I could find a good sound that suits first. So this is the wishlist:

Electro-Harmonix Memory Man
    Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
    ProCo RAT
    MXR Flanger
    Ibanez TS9 TubeScreamer
    JMI MKII Tone Bender

Waltons and Music Maker are out of the question anyways. So if anybody has suggestions where I could find and try some of these that would be tremendously unbelievably cool. Thank you people

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

You could start by trying "X Music" : http://www.xmusic.ie/

You could also check "Adverts". A lot of decent gear turns up here from time to time. Might get a bargain price too. ;)

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/music-instruments-equipment/guitar-bass/guitars/guitar-effects/445/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Hi all,

Just wondering if I could get some advice from you experienced music philes. I have a sort of a hotlist for the most wanted pedals I want to try out, but seeing as this is Dublin, chances of finding any high-end music gear are slim to none.

I realize that there is an invention called the internet and I could get stuff online but I just wanted to have a good test drive at these following stomp boxes before I'm gonna stretch my wallet - just so I could find a good sound that suits first. So this is the wishlist:

Electro-Harmonix Memory Man
    Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
    ProCo RAT
    MXR Flanger
    Ibanez TS9 TubeScreamer
    JMI MKII Tone Bender

Waltons and Music Maker are out of the question anyways. So if anybody has suggestions where I could find and try some of these that would be tremendously unbelievably cool. Thank you people

How are MusicMaker out of the question? Fairly certain they stock most EHX products? Dublin Guitar Centre might have a couple of what you're looking for, other than that it's probably XMusic, or maybe even Jimi's in Ballymount.

Doubt you'll be able to find a tonebender though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

You could buy them online and try them out at home with your own gear. Any you're not happy with, you can return.

Some online stores have free returns, but some you'd have to pay postage, so check that out first. Under EU law, you have 14 days from delivery to return goods bought via "distance selling" (mail order, online, by phone, etc) from a vendor in the EU, and you don't have to give a reason. Obviously they have to be in good condition sending them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 wolfiewonder

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    How are MusicMaker out of the question? Fairly certain they stock most EHX products? Dublin Guitar Centre might have a couple of what you're looking for, other than that it's probably XMusic, or maybe even Jimi's in Ballymount.

Doubt you'll be able to find a tonebender though.

I'll have a look around, cheers.

Anybody even any suggestions on a good online store to buy music equipment at decent prices?

I'll have a look around, cheers.

Anybody even any suggestions on a good online store to buy music equipment at decent prices?

From time to time, you'll find somewhere cheaper than Thomann or Musicstore, but the majority of the time, they're the cheapest.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/index.html

http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/IEP/WelcomePage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 wolfiewonder

Sweet. Nice one, I'll keep an eye out!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 spark1977

Sorry for my crappy English, I'm not a native English speaker.

Recently I tried to buy Nano Bass Big Muff and I went to Musicmaker to ask for it, unfortunately they didn't have it.
    They have some EHX stuff but not what I wanted, I asked if they know more or less when they would receive it (I hate to buy in Thomann, musicStore, Musik produktive,.... i prefer to buy in local stores even if the price is slightly higher) so I didn't mind waiting for few weeks, they told me they were facing problems with EHX's distributor, and the couldn't tell me a date or anything.

Unfortunately I bought it in Music store,

If they were savvy, they would have said "we'll have it in a week", bought it cheap online and sold it on to you at their regular price. They would have covered costs (maybe not made their full profit, but more than they've made now) and had a happy customer.

But bricks and mortar stores tend not to be savvy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Apart from the Tonebender, all those pedals are very common. And very good. If you think you'd like them, you probably will. The Memory Man is a very good delay pedal but these days there's pedals whick sound very analogue but have precise readouts and presets.
    The Big Muff is pure fuzz and sustain. Nothing sounds quite like them. The ProCo Rat is a beauty. From Tube Screamer to big Muff territory. Took me a while to find the sounds but I love it now.
    The TS9 is lovely but only with he right amp and doesn't give much colour to the sound. Just adds oomph to the driven sound. Great for classic rock and blues. Digitech Bad Monkey gets surprisingly close for less than €40 and has a bass control which is nice because original Tubescreamers are known for killing your bass. I highly recommend them.
    Tonebenders I like the sound of but never used one.
    Was in Musicmaker and Waltons for the first time in years before Christmas (I'm from Sligo) and whereas years ago I was like a kid in Santa's workshop every time I went in, these days I'm spoilt by the Internet. Seemed there was nothing (I could afford) that I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

And the MXR is a good flanger and widely used by the pros. If you're going to use one a lot, they're a good buy. If not and it's just to play around with, buy a cheapie like a Joyo (Harley Benton) or Behringer. If you love it after a few months, then spend more. I love flangers for a few minutes and then not use one for months at a time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement