Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fruit/veg for Northwest facing wall?

Options
  • 10-03-2012 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,324 ✭✭✭✭

One of our garden walls faces northwest and I was thinking about putting raspberry's there but the local garden centre said they wouldn't fruit there so am at a bit of a loss.

I'd really like some kind of fruit we could make into jam and/or eat as is if possible.

Only thing that's really coming up on google is Damsons (which I do want and will plant) and blackberries but they are not recommended for smaller gardens like ours it seems (probably would take over everything I guess??)

Does anyone have any alternative suggestions including veg alongside it - the wall is about six foot so casts a bit of a shadow?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

I believe redcurrents do well there.
    Don't be put off by blackberries. You just need to keep them in check and prune out the old canes after they fruit and offer some support to the new canes for next years crop. Very low maintainence if you are not the type to forget to do this once a year. There are upright types that don't spread too much. Loch Ness is one and probably about the most popular variety at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Rhubarb would be happy enough there and can be stored really easily in the freezer when you have a glut.

No maintenance at all really other than a good feed of manure at end and beginning of season. I also spread a few chicken manure pellets or feed with worm tea during the year.

Can also be split and grown into new plants in Autumn.

Def rhubarb for me.

Advertisement