Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to remove undergrown grass thatch

Options
  • 29-02-2012 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi all,
    A large section of my garden got overgrown a couple of summers ago, I think it was the year it rained almost daily for 6 weeks of summer. Consequently there is a large thatch of about 6-8in underlying the grass.

Last summer I tried to spray some off and burn it, but the thatch is so thick it retains rain/moisture so won't burn properly.

Currently I'm thinking of 1 or 2 things, 1) cut as low as possible with lawnmower, then go at it with brushcutter, or 2) cover with old carpet/black plastic to kill off everything, then go with brushcutter to get it right down also.

I was wondering if anyone has had to do something similar or if a cultivator/rotavator would be of any use clearing to ground level or even below it to start from scratch.

The land has some established trees and bushes in it so heavy agri machinery wouldn't fit, plus there's no sheep/horses/goats/cattle/antelope around the area to graze it down for me.

Any ideas or thoughts welcome :)

Comments

Advertisement