Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three 4G Hotspot Problem!

Options
  • 18-01-2016 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

A little bit of background first; I have a HTC ONE M8S which I am using as my hostspot while I await the internet to get setup. I am based in Cork City and most of the time I get 4G signal. It varies. When I restart my phone I have 4G, oh great! Then as time goes on it goes down to H.

Anyway, first question is, sometimes I have 12mb/s DL speed then others I have 1mb/s DL speed. Has the service just gotten really bad since their merge with 02?

Secondly and most annoyingly, when I get any sort of message, whatsapp, snapchat, OR a regular phone call, my internet goes baserk. While I play games the PING jumps up into the 900s. Why does a Regular call affect my INTERNET Hotspot? And most importantly my GAMING! ITS SO ANNOYING.

1. Why is Three so sh**?
    2. Why is a simple whatsapp message making my in game ping SHOOT UP?
    3. Why are calls affecting my online experience??

It happens and I don't know why. I'm no noobie to networking, phones or OS issues. Should I wipe my phone and start over? Does 4G speeds differ in different areas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

1. Unlimited data for 20E/mo = capacity problems
    2. Because your android phone is not a router, its not designed for high availability
    3. Right now none of the providers here support VOLTE so when a call comes in the phone has to disconnect its 4G and lock onto a 3G or 2G mast, if your connection is running on 4G that causes a big holdup.

Normally I'd say get a 4G router to solve this, but as its a temporary setup youll just have to live with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭xband

If its on bill pay be very careful as Three suddenly seem to have started charging astronomical rates for tethered connections.

It may be part of the "big upgrade" has given them technical abilities to detect tethering but there are threads on their Talk to forum on boards with people who're saying they've been charged a grand for a 1GB of tethered data.

Officially they do not support tethering on their contracts but instead of blocking connections they've obviously opted to impose insane out of bundle rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭xband

Also 3 is doing that dropping back to 3G or edge thing all the time for me too. I can't keep my iPhone 6 on 4G, so I'm changing network. I keep having to toggle 4G on and off to reconnect.

It's a network issue as its happening to lots of people on various totally different phones. iOS and Android got example being totally different platforms using different hardware yet, they're having the same issue.

If you call them, they'll blame your handset and make excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

ED E wrote: »
    1. Unlimited data for 20E/mo = capacity problems
    2. Because your android phone is not a router, its not designed for high availability
    3. Right now none of the providers here support VOLTE so when a call comes in the phone has to disconnect its 4G and lock onto a 3G or 2G mast, if your connection is running on 4G that causes a big holdup.

Normally I'd say get a 4G router to solve this, but as its a temporary setup youll just have to live with it.

Wow, that's how it works...interesting! Thanks for that.
    xband wrote: »
    Also 3 is doing that dropping back to 3G or edge thing all the time for me too. I can't keep my iPhone 6 on 4G, so I'm changing network. I keep having to toggle 4G on and off to reconnect.

It's a network issue as its happening to lots of people on various totally different phones. iOS and Android got example being totally different platforms using different hardware yet, they're having the same issue.

If you call them, they'll blame your handset and make excuses.

What Network are you going with? Vodafone? I'm going to switch to Vodafone I think! Can't take this ****ty network anymore! 4G used to be insanely good BEFORE the merge with 02. Goodbye Three!

Advertisement