Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solicitors Insurance

• 13-01-2011 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

I work in a Solicitors practise and they are finding it hard to get insurance been quoted over €100,000. what will be the consequence if they don't get same?

Thanks.

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

You can't practice without PI cover. The Law Society does have what's called the Assigned Risks Pool as a safety net for firms who cannot get insurance, which allows them to continue to operate..

Here's what they had to say about it in a recent bulletin:
    The assigned risks pool (ARP) is a safety net designed for firms refused cover in the market.

Even if you do decide to apply to the ARP you should continue to try to seek cover in the market as the level of cover in the market is much better and premium rates in the market are expected to be significantly lower. The following key points in relation to the ARP are emphasised:

There will be an aggregate limit for all claims of €1.5 million.
    All claims by financial institutions (regardless of whether the financial institution is a client of the firm) will be excluded.
    It is expected that in all cases the premium will exceed market rates by a substantial margin.
    The ARP should be regarded in all cases as a place of last resort and not as an alternative to cover in the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭shoes34

thanks,

also does it depend on how many Solicitors are in a firm?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Yes, I think the number of solicitors has a bearing on the quote but as far as I can see, at the moment the primary factor is the type of work engaged in. A firm that primarily engages in conveyancing would pay a higher premium than one primarily engaged in personal injuries, say.

There is likely to be a lot, and very substantial, claims in the coming years arising out of issues discovered through NAMA due dilligence. I don't think that bodes well for insurance prices in the coming years.

And yes, it is entirely conceivable that PI levels will lead to job losses. They already have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Yes PI cover is a major problem.

James Cahill Solr Castlebar has made a special study of it, and conducted a survey of premia etc last year. He may be worth contacting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Last time I checked entry into the Assigned Risk Pook had been suspended and this has not been lifted, i.e. there is now no 'insurer of last resort' for solicitors who either fail to get quotes or fail to get quotes which are commercially practicable - there was recently a few firms 'struck off' in those circumstances.

The ARP continues to operate in respect of firms which entered prior to the suspension.

• Advertisement

Reloc8 wrote: »
    Last time I checked entry into the Assigned Risk Pook had been suspended and this has not been lifted, i.e. there is now no 'insurer of last resort' for solicitors who either fail to get quotes or fail to get quotes which are commercially practicable - there was recently a few firms 'struck off' in those circumstances.

The ARP continues to operate in respect of firms which entered prior to the suspension.

Not correct I think. The insurance crisis made the ARP a necessity.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2010/en/si/0495.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭shoes34

Still waiting to get the insurance and now some of the Solicitors are being made redundant.

Advertisement