Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am the son of god

Options
  • 11-02-2008 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

Well actually I'm not, but I have a question for all the true believers.

Given that christianity is based on faith and that you are not allowed test god; would you require any proof if someone said they were the son of god.

You are still awaiting tihe return of Jesus right? So if I said I was, how much proof would y'all require?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Given that christianity is based on faith and that you are not allowed test god; would you require any proof if someone said they were the son of god.

You are still awaiting tihe return of Jesus right? So if I said I was, how much proof would y'all require?

To start with, I would require the proof that you actually understood the relationship between faith and evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

But sure, we're all God's sons and daughters ... no proof needed, when you have faith :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

JustMary wrote: »
    But sure, we're all God's sons and daughters ... no proof needed, when you have faith :D
    Not necessarly, some become sons or daughters of God, (John 1vs12) others are "children of the Devil". ( 1John 3vs 10)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Well, you're welcome to come to my place and turn my corpo water supply into Penfold's Grange, '91.

If you did, I may even be tempted to shout your most Holy name in Praise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

If you came back in the manner described in Revelation 19 as prophesised then that would be proof enough for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭HammerHeadGym

PDN wrote: »
    To start with, I would require the proof that you actually understood the relationship between faith and evidence.

For the sake of argument, lets assume that I do. Alternatively, you can explain your definition of the 2. So what proof would you need?

If you came back in the manner described in Revelation 19 as prophesised then that would be proof enough for me.

Am I to take it then that you take the bible to be the literal word of god?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

If I were to see you come in glory from the clouds with angelic trumpet sounds I would believe you to be Jesus come again.

Other than that no way.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

Warning this man will eat your children ha ha alright dave hows things!

The issue is weather the apostles knew Jesus was the Son of God and if they did then did they understand it. Scripture is written from the mentality of the resurrection event as the source, ie the birth of Jesus is seen from his dying and rising. Jesus provided proof by fulfilling Old Testament prophises (sp) but at the same time some did nt believe. I dont think its the quality of your proof as opposed to the quality of your relationship with God that would give you an answer.

But you know yourself Im full of BS!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

If I were to see you come in glory from the clouds with angelic trumpet sounds I would believe you to be Jesus come again.

Other than that no way.

If someone else told you they'd seen that, would you then believe? Or look for further proof yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

If someone else told you they'd seen that, would you then believe? Or look for further proof yourself?

Wouldn't believe it, because Christ's return will be seen by all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

Am I to take it then that you take the bible to be the literal word of god?

I have reservations about the book of James as it was not added to the cannon until the 4th century and contradicts Paul in the central message of the Bible itself which said message is justification by faith alone and not by works. Plus most Bibles we have today do not include the Apocrypha which was part of the original canon and also the Word of God. I might not understand all of it but yes I do believe the scriptures as we have them today i.e. the Bible is the literal Word of God even if it is not all of it.

Wouldn't believe it, because Christ's return will be seen by all.
    Only possible since the invention of television, internet and picture phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Only possible since the invention of television, internet and picture phones.

We are talking about God here, He isn't limited. It could be visible all over the earth it could be a huge light from the sky.

Jakkass wrote: »
    We are talking about God here, He isn't limited. It could be visible all over the earth it could be a huge light from the sky.
    Possibly a combination of both, no doubt anything unusual will be reported on the news channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Jakkass wrote: »

I agree. The *true* second coming of Christ will leave nobody in any doubt as to what's going on. Christ will be visibible in all His glory in the Heavens without the need for any electronic gizmos. I imagine those locked in prison and the blind will also be able to see Him through His power. The secrets in every heart will be revealed and there will be a general judgment of all mankind where the just and the wicked will be separated eternally.

God bless,
    Noel.

I see. Thanks for the feedback so far guys. I guess what I'm getting at here is, very few people witnessed the ascension, yet a billion or so people accept the fact, yet the majority of that billion would have to witness the second coming first hand complete with choir of seraphim and bag of miracles. I'm just curios at what point someone requires proof and no longer relies on faith.
    And I'm not trolling as ryoishin will testify. We have had many theological debates. (Hi John) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

To reiterate, I think that the Bible is fairly clear when it states that the second coming will be an unequivocal event. In this there will be no room for uncertainty. It is entirely consistent with the Bible for a Christian (remembering that we are expecting an event of unparalleled proportions) to refute the claim of some guy with and arsenal of weapons held up in a shack who says he's Jesus.

One also has to remember that just prior to the return of Christ the world has been deceived by the "man of sin" ie the antiChrist as spoken of in revelation. This will be a cocktail of all the man made religions of the world put together and a global economic totalitarian government. Many that follow the worldly religions to-day will fall for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭CaptainNemo

If a guy claimed to be Spiderman I wouldn't believe him until he climbed buildings using his hands and feet, lifted a car, and generally did a lot of specific stuff. He would also have to show me his webshooters. If he shot webs out of his wrists like Tobey Maguire I'd say "That's very clever, but you're not Spiderman!"

Likewise, I will believe that someone is Jesus when they return in glory to judge the living and the dead, and their kingdom shall have no end. I might agree to accept, say, 10,000 years as being acceptably long to indicate "no end".

• Advertisement
Advertisement