Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

gardai powers to search

• 20-01-2011 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13 yeman

hay there im new to this but lookin for help for my brother,
    right so other night gardai stopped my brother searched his car and found prescription pills he was arrested and the car was brought to the station by another garda, now the thing is:

the car was parked in on a driveway on private property(not in a public place) the pills were in the car.

he was also in the curtilage of the property when searched and stopped
    the gardai had no warrant....

the gardai drove the car out of the property and to the station

is this going to hold up in court? i thought the law on searching cars without a warrant was for public places only and also searching him on private property?
    if anyone has information on this could please get references to acts and sections/quotes please.
    its quite difficult to get definitive information from what iv been lookin at

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

yeman wrote: »
    hay there im new to this but lookin for help for my brother,
    right so other night gardai stopped my brother searched his car and found prescription pills he was arrested and the car was brought to the station by another garda, now the thing is:

the car was parked in on a driveway on private property(not in a public place) the pills were in the car.

he was also in the curtilage of the property when searched and stopped
    the gardai had no warrant....

the gardai drove the car out of the property and to the station

is this going to hold up in court? i thought the law on searching cars without a warrant was for public places only and also searching him on private property?
    if anyone has information on this could please get references to acts and sections/quotes please.
    its quite difficult to get definitive information from what iv been lookin at

Tell him to get a solicitor, you can't get legal advice here.

Afaik, the Gardai are only restricted from entering a private home, not from entering onto private property and searching an individual or vehicle under the relevant acts.

If they found controlled substances on him, then it sounds like their search was justified.

Talk to a solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

If you want to have a look at the Act it's the Misuse of Drugs act 1977

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1977/en/act/pub/0012/sec0023.html#sec23

It doesn't mention a public place. There are a number of factors that would have to be looked at, first and foremost would be who actually owned the property, where did the gardaí try and stop him first etc..

For prescription drugs I don't think there is a charge for simple posession so a solicitor is a must here.

Did he have a prescription?

If you have above a certain quantity it doesn't matter. You can't horde prescription tablets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 yeman

he didnt hav a prescription n had more that he should of

Definitely needs a solicitor so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement