Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All things retro, food in nightclubs

• 20-01-2011 2:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

When had this thread over in another forum about the good old days in the 1990's when nightclubs served free food
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056136783

It seemed that it was a requirement to serve food to satisfy the license the nightclub needed. Was this the legal reason?

I've been trying to see why this ended but after much searching cannot find this

Anyone know? Bring it back I say :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I was at the beer fest in the IFSC the last 2 years, I think they used this law and it's still in operation. You had to pay in but then you got a food voucher to cover the admission charge.
    It should have never been scrapped, great to get a bit of free grub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'm not sure where it is now but it goes back to the 70s when cabaret joints with restaurants attached to them exploited a loophole whereby a person consuming a 'substantial' meal could be served drink for an hour after normal closing time.

The definition of a substantial meal was that it was a meal that could be considered a meal in itself or as the main course of a meal 'and for which it would be reasonable to charge not less than 50p' - 63 cents in todays money.

This gave rise to the chicken dinners at cabaret spots all over the country. You paid an admission charge which included the meal and you got a voucher for the meal, most of the vouchers were never redeemed because almost everyone was there for the extra hour at the bar.

Any of the old style dance halls that hadn't been killed by discos were completely wiped out by this development as it meant that in most towns on a Saturday night there was a big migration from the pubs to the cabaret spots at closing time for an extra hour's drinking.

Advertisement