Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Audi Q7 Headunit ??

Options
  • 26-05-2008 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭

Buddy of mine has a 08 Q7.
    It has the single cd head unit capable of playing mp3 etc.
    He has asked me to rip some of his CD's and put them on a disc as his kids are throwing his originals around the place and scratching them.
    Is there a particular structure that these units will accept or is it a simple burn and play ?
    I would prefer to do it in a system whereas he could call up a given artist /cd etc.

Thanks in advance ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

You should be able to either burn a copy of a normal CD or burn a CD full of MP3s. Either should work fine.

If you burn the MP3 CD, you should get the artist and track names shown on the screen.

The manual should give it to you in more detail (I don't have one in front of me here).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

AudiChris wrote: »
    You should be able to either burn a copy of a normal CD or burn a CD full of MP3s. Either should work fine.

If you burn the MP3 CD, you should get the artist and track names shown on the screen.

The manual should give it to you in more detail (I don't have one in front of me here).

What I was wondering mainly is this:

Supposing you have 4 CD's and want to rip them to MP3
    Then you have 4 cd's that will fit on one disc as mp3.
    Can I keep the MP3's in their corresponding Folders and burn them to disc including folders thus resulting in being able to call up a particular one artist/disc ?

Rather than burning them all at random once tagged Artist/Song title?

Cheers

I'm pretty sure there's a certain "depth" of folders the MMI will read to, but I'm not sure what it is. Will grab a manual now and check it out for you.

I'm pretty sure there's a certain "depth" of folders the MMI will read to, but I'm not sure what it is. Will grab a manual now and check it out for you.

Yes,
    That is what I was wondering.

I would assume :

Root-_Artist Folder X 4 or 5 whatever fits ?

Thanks for your help :cool:

Manual says:
    "Max. 255 files per directory, max. 255 directories, in total not more than 512 files and directories per medium."

I guess that means only one depth of folder, 255 files per folder - up to a max of 512 files/folders.

It'll take MP3s and WMAs.

• Advertisement

What make / Model head unit is that taken from?
    Cheers

That's the bog-standard MMI Basic - single CD player.

Thanks
    I will let you know how I get on for future referance ;)

Please!

Finally got round to doing that disc for my buddy yesterday.
    Basically I did the following

grabbed 4 folders of MP3 all tagged etc. and burned them direcly to the root of a cd.
    Buddy tried it in his Q7 and waited at least 1.5 minutes.. Nothing came up :mad:

So,
    He dropped the disc back to me ( forgot to mention I used a CDrw as a test disc )
    Was going to meet another buddy of mine today to which it dawned on me that he had an Audi A5 so I took the disc with me and asked him to check it in his system
    WORKED PERFECT ..!! :eek:

You could callup artist by cd title etc then play the tracks inside.
    In fact
    2 albums on the disc were double cd's meaning that they had two sub folders for cd 1 and cd2 inside the main folder. These worked perfectly.
    Can you ( AudiChris ) think of any reason why one would work and the other wont ?
    Suerly a very similar head unit ?:confused:

• Advertisement

The only thing I can think of is that it's a CDRW. I know there's a lot of CD players that will only play CDRs and not CDRWs.

In fact I'm more surprised that the A5 played a CDRW than the other way around!

Give a CDR a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Additionally, I think certain units can be allergic to specific brands of (or even particular examples of) blank discs?

Give a CDR a go.

Will do ;)

Anan1 wrote: »
    Additionally, I think certain units can be allergic to specific brands of (or even particular examples of) blank discs?

Agreed

Advertisement