Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help please

Options
  • 13-04-2010 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭

I spent a good chunk of money fri getting a feeding station set up in my back. My back has no trees or shrubs (renting) i thought the feeding station would counter this. I live about 500 yards from some scrub land so there are plenty of birds knocking about. As of today I have seen 1 sparrow and 1 blue tit :confused: Is it too late to attract birds to my station now that food particularly insects are plentiful again or will the birds eventually find my feeders and use them regularly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,641 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I spent a good chunk of money fri getting a feeding station set up in my back. My back has no trees or shrubs (renting) i thought the feeding station would counter this. I live about 500 yards from some scrub land so there are plenty of birds knocking about. As of today I have seen 1 sparrow and 1 blue tit :confused: Is it too late to attract birds to my station now that food particularly insects are plentiful again or will the birds eventually find my feeders and use them regularly.

Probably is a bit late - also avoiding providing peasnuts at this time of year since if a parent birds trys to feed nestlings on this type of food, it could result in choking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Probably is a bit late - also avoiding providing peasnuts at this time of year since if a parent birds trys to feed nestlings on this type of food, it could result in choking.
    Does this really happen?
    I've seen trains of thought about providing nuts at this time. The parents provide the proper food to chicks and will come for a quick feed to nuts for themselves. I'm not saying feed all year but at this time of year I like to wean slowly and also provide backup during when the weather is foul which may happen after this fine spell passes.

Back to OP, even during winter it can be surprising how long it takes for birds to find the food and takes a while for numbers to build up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I agree with Mothman. Birds can take a considerable time to start using a feeding station. But they will come! Don't put too much out at first and just wait. Leave out some peanuts (in a wire fedder of course) and put a little seed in a birdtable and on the ground.
    I'm sorry to disagree with Birdnuts but the choking of nestlings with peanuts is an urban myth. This will not happen. Peanuts are an important energy food for adult birds through the breeding season. They will still feed their chicks with caterpillars etc but will get the boost they need from the peanuts. Feed all year round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

One of the reasons I stop feeding during summer because the Greenfinches eat me bankrupt :eek: and I say to them Fe** off and find your own food. :)

Advertisement