Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eddies got the hump again

• 22-11-2007 2:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭

Poor Eddie is fealing sorry for himself again, apparently he still thought he had a chance of managing (or mis-managing ) the Lions, but the powers that be , are a little more savvy and knowledgeable than the IRFU.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I haven't heard anything about Eddie giving out but some other sites are saying that McGeechan now looks the most likely candidate on account of Eddie's disastrous showing at the World Cup. Decision being put off until after the 6 Nations though to give candidates a chance to prove themselves.

Not sure if I should link to another rugby forum but the match dates have also been leaked as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I'd like McGeechan ahead of Eddie but i hadn't heard anyhting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Last 3 lions head coaches (I think)
    McGeehan - Scotland
    Henry - Wales
    Woodword - England

Looks like its Ireland's turn.

@ OP the position that was given to Gerald Davies was just the managers job the "Real" job is the head coach, which looks to be between Eddie O'Sullivan and Ian McGeechan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

McGeechan for me, he's got the experience, and I like his style especially after the Lions '97 tour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

thebaz wrote: »
    Poor Eddie is fealing sorry for himself again, apparently he still thought he had a chance of managing (or mis-managing ) the Lions, but the powers that be , are a little more savvy and knowledgeable than the IRFU.
    And Eddie told you this himself over coffee did he? Otherwise how would you know how he feels or what he thinks?

I'm sure even he would recognise that he may have blown it for himself, but let's not be too hasty. Remember, his contract apparently has a clause that he can opt out of the Ireland job if the Lions job comes up.

Wouldn't that be best all round? Eddie slips out the back door to participate in a futile outdated exercise and IRFU don't have to compensate him for kicking him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Remember, his contract apparently has a clause that he can opt out of the Ireland job if the Lions job comes up
    Why would he need to leave the ireland job to be head coach for a lions tour? He wont leave the ireland job until he's sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Eddie slips out the back door to participate in a futile outdated exercise.
    But also an extremely lucrative futile and outdated exercise :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

And Eddie told you this himself over coffee did he? Otherwise how would you know how he feels or what he thinks?

Yeah i'm still sore , after the disgracefull WC performance , Stan and McClaren were shown the door for similar ineptitude, and Eddie should be no different -- he wasted Irelands best chance of a decent World Cup campaign , and i won't be happy till he is gone , back to club rugby , where he belongs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

CJhaughey wrote: »
    But also an extremely lucrative futile and outdated exercise :D
    True... true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I don't think he'd be leaving the Irish job to coach the Lions. Unfortunately.

In any case, when do they decide the Lions coach? EOS has no chance barring an impressive GS, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

@ OP the position that was given to Gerald Davies was just the managers job the "Real" job is the head coach, which looks to be between Eddie O'Sullivan and Ian McGeechan

That's what I thought too - when the manager was announced, the report said that EOS was still the front runner, with the 6N helping to make the decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

eoin_s wrote: »
    That's what I thought too - when the manager was announced, the report said that EOS was still the front runner, with the 6N helping to make the decision.

well if that is the case , God help the Lions, as his autocratic , and strange selection policy , simply does not work -- hes seriously damaged Irish rugby with his arrogant selfish approach to the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

thebaz wrote: »
    well if that is the case , God help the Lions, as his autocratic , and strange selection policy , simply does not work -- hes seriously damaged Irish rugby with his arrogant selfish approach to the game

I suppose it depends on whether he'll be allowed to have full control over selection etc, or if he'll be made work with other people.

Edit: on the money side - I understand his new contract gives him €350K per year, how lucrative would the Lions job be - is it enough to give that up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Danger_Dave

Eddie doesnt need to give up the ireland post, because theres a clause in his contract allowing to be the lions head coach and still be irelands. You never know though he might not get it anyway. McGeechan wouldnt be back but id like eddie in charge , but thats just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

To be honest I don't see how they could give Eddie the Lions job after the WC campaign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

As has been posted already, it seems Eddie has a clause allowing him to coach the Lions while Ireland manager - so no bar there.

Unless he has a complete t*ts up at the six nations he's in... never underestimate the politics in rugby... :rolleyes:

Advertisement