Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ARK:Survival Evolved

• 05-06-2015 9:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭

Has anybody played this game? It looks pretty bloody cool, even tho it's early access. Was thinking about getting but wondering if anybody else has before i make the leap.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/346110/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

The fps are supposed to be dreadful on max settings, but a few in the gaming forum are on it and love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭dunworth1

The fps are supposed to be dreadful on max settings, but a few in the gaming forum are on it and love it

I've been playing it i get about 25—30fps on max.

It's stunningly beautiful.
    Game play is as you would expect an alpha to be.

The devs are working hard and are releasing patches fairly quick

People who buy the game expecting it to be perfect really annoy me some to the point where I want to punch them

dunworth1 wrote: »

People who buy the game expecting it to be perfect really annoy me some to the point where I want to punch them

Ah dun there is expecting it too be good and then there is the ****storm of badness it was apparently like upon release, but aye I see the devs patching it loads, shall have my pc back this/next week after my faulty mobo incident I'll probably see you on it

Ah dun there is expecting it too be good and then there is the ****storm of badness it was apparently like upon release, but aye I see the devs patching it loads, shall have my pc back this/next week after my faulty mobo incident I'll probably see you on it

They had a bad launch alright and I don't think they were expecting as many people. The reviews on steam went from bad to good in a day.

From what I've been reading the devs have been working 24/7 the last few days to get things sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭A.Gorilla

I'm hoping it'll go down a bit more in price in the steam sale next week. Definitely pick it up then :)

• Advertisement

A.Gorilla wrote: »
    I'm hoping it'll go down a bit more in price in the steam sale next week. Definitely pick it up then :)

generally new games dont get hit in price for the sales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

dunworth1 wrote: »

What are you playing on? I'm using my laptop at the moment and it's fairly mid-range, so might just want till I'm back home and get it then.

What are you playing on? I'm using my laptop at the moment and it's fairly mid-range, so might just want till I'm back home and get it then.

Amd fx 6350
    R9 290X
    12gb ram

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Aha. My laptop has a GTX850. It's decent enough for most games but if an R9 290 is getting 30fps then I think I'll leave it for now.

Aha. My laptop has a GTX850. It's decent enough for most games but if an R9 290 is getting 30fps then I think I'll leave it for now.

my mate has the 970 and i think he's getting bout the same

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I don't play any of these early access "survival" games at all cause none of them ever seem to get finished or even anywhere approaching finished. This one looks fun though, having seen some streams of it in action. Who doesn't wanna saddle a dinosaur? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

i have the gtx 780 and getting fairly similar fps to the 970 and game looks stunning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Shiminay wrote: »
    I don't play any of these early access "survival" games at all cause none of them ever seem to get finished or even anywhere approaching finished. This one looks fun though, having seen some streams of it in action. Who doesn't wanna saddle a dinosaur? :D

Game went under a massive promotional campaign with some prominant Twitch streamers being paid to play the Alpha and to distribute keys through give aways etc.

Having looked at it for a little bit it looks ok but didn't really interest me. Although I've found those survival type games in general to be less then interesting.

I do kinda have alarm bells when a game goes through that promotional push via Twitch and now Youtube live, as it's rare those games go to launch and end up being succesfull or good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Laviski

I have setup Ark Survival Evolved server for the gaellords members, but free for anyone else that wishes to join. Would only expect those that frequent our site and here to join, but we will see.

add to favorites through the steam server browser by adding
    gaellords.com:27019 or 78.46.47.195:27019
    From there it will show up in the game browser after you joined.

arcserveraddtofav.JPG

Current settings:
    No server password
    no whitelist (yet)
    ShowMapPlayerLocation=True
    ServerHardcore=False
    GlobalVoiceChat=False
    ProximityChat=False
    NoTributeDownloads=False
    AllowThirdPersonPlayer=True
    AlwaysNotifyPlayerLeft=False
    DontAlwaysNotifyPlayerJoined=True
    ServerPVE=False
    ServerCrosshair=True
    ServerForceNoHUD=False
    DifficultyOffset=0

that might actually be nice to jump in with a few irish lads.

are we loosing outon anything by not playing on an official server?

from what i understand no.
    just have the ability to change the server settings as required (increase difficulty etc)

the main benefit is the server ain't gonna be full as was my problem yesterday. I have being unable to join the officaial server i have being playing as its constantly full yesterday. If somehow the server is full can implement a password or steam ID whitelist if it would come to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

ugh ,see all the lads currently online playing this now.

That most likely means I'll be buying it haha

i see people are complaining now that's its too easy to tame a dino
    you have some people walking around with a few rexs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

gave this a go last night. great game. got sooooo bored of survival games cause the worlds are really boring and the only fun is basically pvp. this is cool because the environment itself is really cool. my only complaint is constantly losing my character every time i'm on a new server. this sucks, often i can't find the server i was on. really frustrating starting from scratch every time with levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

played this for a few hours tonight and i take my whingeing about the frame rate back this game is graphically gorgeous and i cant wait to get set up properly as part of a tribe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Bought the game on the Steam Sale and would love to play it however it crashes every single time I try the Server page. Seems a pretty common problem so fingers crossed it gets resolved soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Been playing this the last few nights, it's quite addictive.

Annoying though in that I've logged on a few times to find I've been killed while logged off and had to rebuild everything again.

I find it's quite resource hungry though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I caved and bought this. Tried playing the experimental dayz update today and it's still a steaming pile of sh*te. This looks miles ahead in the fun department.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Ive just been playing locally,getting used to what materials come from where,whats required for crafting and generally just trying to get to know the game mechanics.

Thought i was on for about an hour the other night,the missus informed me it was more like 3! It does suck you in alright.

Id agree the resource gathering is a very slow process but i suppose when you have people willing to put in 100's of hours already there has to be some way to slow there progress to give them a bit of longevity. Playing locally also means its just me gathering and if you had a few friends to play with it would go quicker

Although from vids i watched resource gathering seems to get a lot quicker once you tame a large dino. Im waiting to hit lvl15 for the bow and get the narcotic to start trying to tame something. Not too far away from that now.

It definitely has a few issues but im liking the game so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

EoinHef wrote: »
    Ive just been playing locally,getting used to what materials come from where,whats required for crafting and generally just trying to get to know the game mechanics.

Thought i was on for about an hour the other night,the missus informed me it was more like 3! It does suck you in alright.

Id agree the resource gathering is a very slow process but i suppose when you have people willing to put in 100's of hours already there has to be some way to slow there progress to give them a bit of longevity. Playing locally also means its just me gathering and if you had a few friends to play with it would go quicker

Although from vids i watched resource gathering seems to get a lot quicker once you tame a large dino. Im waiting to hit lvl15 for the bow and get the narcotic to start trying to tame something. Not too far away from that now.

It definitely has a few issues but im liking the game so far

You can play this solo? I thought it was multiplayer only. Been very tempted by it but much prefer the option to play alone or join in with others like in dead island rather then multiplayer only.

Ant695 wrote: »
    You can play this solo? I thought it was multiplayer only. Been very tempted by it but much prefer the option to play alone or join in with others like in dead island rather then multiplayer only.

You can play over LAN which is effectively Solo.

Maguined wrote: »
    You can play over LAN which is effectively Solo.

Awesome thanks think I'll grab it while it's reduced then.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

Can you play this privately with just friends? The idea of logging in to find all my work destroyed is putting me off, while I don't fancy playing it single player either.

TheKells wrote: »
    Can you play this privately with just friends? The idea of logging in to find all my work destroyed is putting me off, while I don't fancy playing it single player either.

From what I've been reading about it you could just play on a different server where there is just you and your friends. Also according to the steam forums there is supposed to be a feature to save your progress, dinos etc to a singleplayer game before you log off so you can't get screwed when offline.

• Advertisement

there are non PvP servers so that is an option if you want to avoid that.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

Having looked on google it seems that there is a lot of hassle involved in creating private servers just for you and your friends. Bit of a shame really. I had thought maybe we could create a world and work together or solo whenever the others were offline.

TheKells wrote: »
    Having looked on google it seems that there is a lot of hassle involved in creating private servers just for you and your friends. Bit of a shame really. I had thought maybe we could create a world and work together or solo whenever the others were offline.

gaellords have a server up
    there is about few regulars that are on it
    It is PvP but as the server population is non existant i think you willl have not much fear in losing stuff. considering the map is pretty big.

add to favorites through the steam server browser by adding
    gaellords.com:27019 or 78.46.47.195:27019
    From there it will show up in the game browser after you joined.

arcserveraddtofav.JPG

Ant695 wrote: »

As someone said its just playing over lan but it is effectivly single player

Finding it very handy to help learn the ropes without the risk off all the materials gathered being nicked,seems theres a few hackers in the game as well so im going to hold off on MP for the moment.

I have to admit I used the Gaellords server to learn the game. Never anyone on it when I played so no hassle, built myself a little thatch house that was never tampered with in days and a chest full of resources that never was touched so it is a great server to learn the initial steps of the game on before moving onto a more populated server if you so wish.

Yeah ive no issue using the gaellords servers either,never a problem when ive used their TS or Arma servers before. In fairness its probably the much better option than going into the unknown on some random server if trying to get to know the game.

Should probably get a few us grouping up and getting on there at some point,start a tribe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

it doesnt run great on my system but i got it anyway, joined that gaellords server i keep getting killed by some dino thingy that spits venom at me :(

Lone Stone wrote: »
    it doesnt run great on my system but i got it anyway, joined that gaellords server i keep getting killed by some dino thingy that spits venom at me :(

Start gathering a bit of wood(punch trees),thatch(trees also) and stone. Once you have enough craft yourself a pick,use the pick on a rock to get flint and then when you level up choose the spear engram as one of the engrams to learn and craft one and hey presto,two or three hits from that will kill a dillo.

There annoying at the start but it wont be long before your killing them fairly handy

very cool so far built a thatch hut on a beach while i level up a bit before venturing forth, made some storage crates been messing about with some stuff and just tamed a male dilo thing and have been running around killing big game with him :D not a soul on that gaellords server tho

very cool so far built a thatch hut on a beach while i level up a bit before venturing forth, made some storage crates been messing about with some stuff and just tamed a male dilo thing and have been running around killing big game with him :D not a soul on that gaellords server tho

Think ill go on in the morning after work and rob all your stuff:P

beware of the base at the north east
    approach with caution

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

Picked this up yesterday and have lost a good few hours into it. Performance is a bit meh, totally playable just not getting above 32fps... can't really complain as its early access.

Playing on a pve server at the moment as too many kill on site experiences in dayz have given me a phobia against pvp 😕

Impressed with the frequency of updates too.

I had been playing using a GTX 660TI so the settings were all on the lowest so it obviously performed like garbage but I still found it fun. Upgraded my card on the weekend and now the game won't launch. :mad:

ow ma gawd cant stop playing must go to sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

It runs like a Dog but there is something to it...

This game has potential.

Shout out to the Gaellords server. It maybe PVP but players are friendly, sharing tips and guides

Feel free to drop by my place with food wood and hoes... Or il settle for a few cement.. Crumbs.. Ow god I turned into a begger

is global chat gone from the gaellords server ?

is global chat gone from the gaellords server ?

Fixed.

i since the update yesterday i took the time to update the config with the new parameters available.
    Also forgot to add the server to our control panel for the rest of the admin to be able to restart :)

Chat should be restored now.

What server are people here on ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Gaellords server is grand as it's not usually too busy so I tend to be still alive when I log back in :)

Game is a murderer on spec though, my PC would be reasonably decent but I have to run it on low, even at that it's getting pushed.

i found a place along the east coast by a guy call tazz might have been you, its still safe didnt break in or nothing then i found a guy fourth up towards the north tonight he's new cause i go up and back there a bit, thought i would take the time to say hello to him

[IMG][/img]2015-07-16_00002.jpg

my friend logged out.
    I showed him who's boss

[IMG][/img]2015-07-10_00004.jpg

2015-07-10_00008.jpg

here the base im working on at the moment

[IMG][/img]2015-07-16_00001.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement