Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breaking news? Mazda to scrap rotary?

• 07-10-2011 9:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭

http://examiner.ie/breakingnews/world/mazda-to-scrap-rotary-engines-523482.html

Mazda to scrap rotary engines
    Friday, October 07, 2011 - 09:02 AM

Mazda will stop producing vehicles with its signature rotary engines in June next year because of poor sales and the costs of meeting emissions standards.

The firm said the latest edition of the RX-8, the only model in its line-up with the rotary engine, will go on sale on November 24, targeting sales of 1,000 vehicles, but will end production in June 2012.

Mazda, which introduced its first rotary engine car in 1967, is the only car maker in the world that makes vehicles with rotary engines. They have fewer moving parts and are quieter than comparable piston engines but are more expensive to manufacture and consume more fuel.

Mazda’s decision underlines how consumer tastes are changing to preferring green vehicles over sporty ones.

Read more: http://examiner.ie/breakingnews/world/mazda-to-scrap-rotary-engines-523482.html#ixzz1a5EGedwY

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Hmm, not so breaking, announced in August apparently. Have I just created a my own version of the weekly "OMG NCT every year for older vehicles!" thread :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Breaking news? Last year maybe. Mazda announced a long time ago that RX-8 production was ceasing. They've also said on many occasions that they won't stop development of the rotary engine, although there's no date set for an RX-8 replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

langdang wrote: »

Mazda’s decision underlines how consumer tastes are changing to preferring green vehicles over sporty ones.

Tastes? No.

Forced to with their wallets? Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Tastes? No.

Forced to with their wallets? Yes.

Nobody is forced with their wallet to ignore a rotary engine. They have always consumed too much petrol, Felix Wankel always knew this was a fault and he never managed to solve it, neither did a couple of generations of NSU or Mazda engineers.

The high fuel consumption was partly compensated by low tax, as almost all European countries had a cc based tax system until a few years ago, but with the gradual shift towards emissions based tax systems the car became more undesirable.

The RX-7/RX-8 was always a niche model for people who wanted something different and were prepared to take the high fuel consumption but with oil prices rising long term its is not viable at the moment.

Great engine, hopefully it won't be the last we see of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

bijapos wrote: »
    Nobody is forced with their wallet to ignore a rotary engine. They have always consumed too much petrol, Felix Wankel always knew this was a fault and he never managed to solve it, neither did a couple of generations of NSU or Mazda engineers.

Fuel costs increased by 50% during the period I owned mine, and that made a huge difference.

You also won't see any post-'08 RX's about either because of the retarded emissions system

So I stand by my point!

• Advertisement
Advertisement