Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A4 Tdi Estate question

Options
  • 04-10-2011 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm hoping somebody with an A4 estate will be able to help me out with a couple of questions..

I'm seriously looking at getting one of these to lug my big double bass and amp around to gigs etc. Looking at years 03 - 05. What are these cars like, reliability wise? Most have high mileage from what I can see, so I'll be taking my time till I find one with reasonably low mileage. I'm going for the 1.9tdi, manual, sport or not, doesn't really matter.

I've also been trying to find the length of the boot, with the back seats folded down. Any chance someone could measure from the back of the front seats to the back of the wagon and post it here?

Thanks a mil!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Not sure on length but you could easily fit a Double Bass and amp in,I can fit a couple of flight cases in mine and if i let the seats down i can fit a couple of speakers in also.

I would advise going for the 1.8T though far better driving experience and also more widely available it quattro if you wanted to kill 2 birds with the one stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

I've got a 2002 A4 estate as well, with 293kms on it
    The load space is good, but not as good as a Passat.

The length of the boot space from the farthest back the front seats will go when the rear seatback is down is about 5'7" or so - I can't lie down in the back without going at an angle whereas I can easily in the Passat. Another thing worth noting is that the rear seat backs do not go down level at all, they rest at an angle on the rear seat squabs. The seat squabs do not flip up forwards like they do in the passat. This means that there's a crease in the 'floor' when the seats are down, and it can be difficult to lift a heavy object in and slide it forwards as it will need to be lifted when halfway in.

The recommendation I would give would be to get the 130bhp quattro tdi. Most useful configuration, generally good on fuel (2-3mpg less than the fwd 130), great traction on takeoff and great overtaking when needed. The 1.8T is a good engine, similar torque to the TDI if a tad more thirsty for the same driving.

Reliability wise, there are a few things that are beginning to be seen on the TDI A4.
    • Engine injector wiring - as the injector control cables are immersed in the engine oil, the insulation is tending to break and cause mechanical damage to the cables themselves, causing a 'misfire' (failure to start the injection, feels identical to a misfire). Maybe 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 cars will exhibit this.
    • Clutch/dmf flywheel: Like almost all of the VAG diesels, there's a possibility that the DMF can stop working properly between 100,000 and 300,000 miles. Generally if you get to 200,000 miles without needing to change, you've done well. This is more likely to happen with a remapped car as well. Budget for this between 100k and 200k miles, and change for an uprates clutch if you are thinking of a remap - the change of clutch will allow c. 170 bhp to be reached without clutch problems, and the correct clutch will allow up to 220 bhp with a change of turbo as well!
    Pretty much everything else is bombproof as far as I've seen. Check the area around the battery for water, sometimes the drains can block with leaves and a deep puddle forms that can overflow in through the cabin air filter causing problems with the Central Convenience Module under the front floor carpets that controls the windows, interior light and the alarm sensing.
    You'll also have to use oil to the vw505.00 (I think) standard or higher, your ordinary cheap synthetic won't cut it - because the injectors are drive from the cam, there's a very high pressure there that is outside most oils capability to lubricate.

An A4 will be great overall for the job that you're thinking of, compared to the other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

know a couple of lads with these

one is a 04 1.9TDi 130bhp with about 120k miles...has had it 5yrs with not very much to be honest gone wrong

other is a 03 1.9TDi 130bhp with probably nearer 200k miles...again have not heard any major issues with his

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Hey thanks for the replies guys.

@ Popoutman, I presume the clutch/dmf work is seriously pricey (parts + labour).. would I be best trying to find one where the clutch has been replaced?
    Also, re the Quattro: Seems to be quite rare in the 1.8tdi, and pushes the price up a good bit. Is it really worth the extra cash do you think?
    Good to know about the seats not folding flat aswell. Is there much of an angle/slope when they're down?

@ Lex Luthor, that's reassuring to know. It's proving difficult to find one with lowish mileage that ticks all the boxes..

Another general question - Cruise Control and the front armrest.. were these standard? Some pics show a lack of armrest, but it might just be tilted up?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭crossy

Hey,
    Had a 1.9tdi one and it broke my heart. If you get a petrol one it will break your pocket. Mine had 50,000 Miles on it and the engine went. It wasn't from neglect because I am a mechanic. I got Rid of mine And got a BMW estate. People dont know the difference because they never drove anything else but its your choice. Also Audi Is probably the most over priced car on the market. Its a VW or a Scoda at the end of the day. All the one car.

• Advertisement
Advertisement