Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

saving fuel at rush hour

• 06-10-2011 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭

Is it worthwhile turning off the engine in rush hour traffic when stopped? I Heard if stopped for thirty seconds or more its worth it?would it damage the starter motor?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wexfordian

Don't know about the starter motor, but can't imagine it would do much for your battery if you were doing it continuously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Woofstuff wrote: »
    Is it worthwhile turning off the engine in rush honour traffic when stopped? I Heard if stopped for thirty seconds or more its worth it?would it damage the starter motor?

I heard before anything more 50 seconds it's worthwhile turning it off... But you'd have to be planning ahead :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Modern cars that are designed with stop - go systems save only a little fuel by killing the engine when stopped so IMO its hardly worth your while turning the car off in traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

I think the re-starting of the car constantly would counteract any saving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

Woofstuff wrote: »
    Is it worthwhile turning off the engine in rush hour traffic when stopped? I Heard if stopped for thirty seconds or more its worth it?would it damage the starter motor?

Yes absolutely, especially with bigger engined cars. Even short off times mean savings. Why else would every maker now be fitting stop start systems across the range.

• Advertisement

8% typical savings according to bosch

I think the re-starting of the car constantly would counteract any saving

Why ?

Any scientific basis for this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

Bigus wrote: »
    Why ?

Absolutely none, just passing on my humble opinion:)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Why ?

More starts mean more wear on the starter motor, and more work for the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭007.57

I got a simple tip for saving fuel - check your tyre pressure regularly, read somewhere it helps. Also if you clean your fuel injectors that helps too, lots of fuel injectors dribble fuel instead of properly injecting it. There is a product by STP that helps clean them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,478 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Buy a Prius.

More starts mean more wear on the starter motor, and more work for the battery.

So what ?

Still fuel to be saved

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

So what ?

Still fuel to be saved

Yes, but if you have to prematurely replace batteries and a starter your savings may be eaten up, or you might actually lose money.

Modern stop/start cars have beefed up components for this very reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Would that not counteract the savings by wearing out the starter motor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

I think the minimal savings in fuel aren't worth the hastle and constant worrying that I might be prematurely wearing out my starter motor and battery. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

OP,

it would be easier and more beneficial to clean out anything unnecessary from the car, check tyre pressures and keep the car serviced regularly.

After that the best thing you can do is adjust your driving to accelerate gently and slow down gently only using the accelerator when needed. Don't rev above 2k rpm.

The best advice is to anticipate any changes in speed or movement early so you can slow down or speed up gently.

If you're driving gently, drive so you don't block/slow down others unnecessarily. If someone is tailgating you or flashing at you flick the rear view mirror down so they aren't catching your eye and smile when the pass you and flick you off. Learn the 'feel' of your car at different speeds and what gear you need to be in to drive economically without straining the engine. Look around you and realise those accelerating quickly and hitting the brakes hard are only getting about 5 cars ahead of you.

All of the above costs nothing and you'll feel better when you get home from work:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Buy a Prius.

Don't, there terrible :( Been driving one for the past month and I'm growing to hate it.

Advertisement