Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Both headlights blow exact same time!?

Options
  • 05-10-2011 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

Sat in tonight turned the engine on, turned the headlights and they both stopped working at the same time!
    Checked fuses (the ones labeled as headlights) they seem ok.

Full beams work, dipped lights work too, strange:confused:

I dont think its a case that they burned out naturally at the same time as i only replaced one of the headlight bulbs about 9 or 10 months ago
    I also had some alternator trouble earlier this year.

Vw pasaat 2005 b5.5
    Any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

pabloh999 wrote: »
    Sat in tonight turned the engine on, turned the headlights and they both stopped working at the same time!
    Checked fuses (the ones labeled as headlights) they seem ok.

Full beams work, dipped lights work too, strange:confused:

I dont think its a case that they burned out naturally at the same time as i only replaced one of the headlight bulbs about 9 or 10 months ago
    I also had some alternator trouble earlier this year.

Vw pasaat 2005 b5.5
    Any ideas??

If your dipped work then what's gone ? The Sidelights ?

Anyway, it's unlikely that they both go at the same time.... but still possible. Try a new bulb ?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

As i said, the main headlights are gone. The high beam works and so does the low light the daytime light, whatever its called.

Seems unlikely that they both would blow naturally at the exact same time?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

DRLs or sidelights, not dipped beams. The "normal headlights" *are* the dipped beams.

If it isn't the fuse; there is a chance that the fuse is too high rated and a power spike happened which took out the bulbs.

pabloh999 wrote: »
    As i said, the main headlights are gone. The high beam works and so does the low light the daytime light, whatever its called.

Seems unlikely that they both would blow naturally at the exact same time?

Yeah, your dipped lights are gone.

I've seen it before. They live the same life after all and same level of use.

Plus when one went it could have been enough to take out the other. Replace the bulbs and see how you get on but at the moment, it shouldn't be of any real concern.

Yea im hoping its just the bulbs, but i dont understand how one bulb could take out another?

• Advertisement

I replaced the bulbs, its working for now.
    Now one of the little rubber seals from the back of the bulb housing has gone awol!
    Must have blown away, v windy today!
    Im worried about moisture getting in
    Anyone know where i could buy a replacement??

Local scrap yard ? That kind of motor is a dime a dozen.

Motor Factors aswell..

You'll need to cover that pretty quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wexfordian

I used to have a 1999 BMW 316 estate, and if you turned on the engine with the headlights on it was about 50/50 you would blow both bulbs. Was told it was a common enough thing with the particular bulb that it took.

Advertisement