Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car hit off another car in a car park.

Options
  • 06-10-2011 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭

Reversing out in a dark car park last night I didn't notice a bacl car and hit off it. Not hard as I was going slow and I stopped straight away. Seemed mostly like a couple of scratches to the paintwork.

I went inside the building and found the guy who owned the car and gave him my details and number. I said if he rang me I will cover the cost. He also took my insurance details. Some fella then came out calling the shots saying for us both to ring our insurance and stuff but I said again I'll pay for any damage.

Now, I rang my insurance company today to check with them and the claims dept. is gonna ring me back but can I request that they come to me before paying out if he does go through the insurance company?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

By all means notify the insurance companies of the scuff but its up to you if you want to claim off your policy.

The big thing here is your excess and your NCB protection.

So, get the quote first and then decide if you want to pay out of your own pocket, or pay via insurance at the cost of the excess and losing some of your NCB

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

mullingar wrote: »
    By all means notify the insurance companies of the scuff but its up to you if you want to claim off your policy.

The big thing here is your excess and your NCB protection.

So, get the quote first and then decide if you want to pay out of your own pocket, or pay via insurance at the cost of the excess and losing some of your NCB
    It's actually the other party, and not the OP, who gets to decide whether or not to go through insurance. That said, it sounds like the OP's been decent to them so hopefully they'll be decent back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Anan1 wrote: »
    It's actually the other party, and not the OP, who gets to decide whether or not to go through insurance. That said, it sounds like the OP's been decent to them so hopefully they'll be decent back.

This is what I suspected.

Would my insurance company give me the opportunity to cover it though do you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Ush1 wrote: »

Would my insurance company give me the opportunity to cover it though do you reckon?
    AFAIK they would. Although it probably won't even come to that. If I were the other party, the first question i'd be asking myself is 'Am I going to get dicked around here?' If the person had been straight up from the beginning, which it sounds like you were, then i'd be doing my best to make things easy on them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i think some companies give you the chance to pay back a claim before next renewal so it wont affect your ncb, so i've heard around these parts
    hopefully they'll go straight to you though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Ush1 wrote: »

Yes they will. Make sure you inform your insurance company, just to protect yourself from a claim down the road - but your insurer is much happier to let you deal with it, than pay out and cause themselves more work.

It'll be on your insurance record, but it won't effect NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Cheers folks. He said thanks for coming in and telling him anyway so hopefully he'll just ring me.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Hello OP,

I don't have anything to add to this post, sorry.. but just want to say best of luck with the outcome; I hope it's not too expensive.

And, I wish there was more prople like you in the world. Fair play! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

That reverse into parked cars? /ducks/

Advertisement