Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving into the Phoenix Park

• 18-04-2009 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Can people please confirm if I am right in thinking that traffic ENTERING the Phoenix Park has right of way over traffic exiting the park. I'm talking about the smaller entrances where the gates are only wide enough for 1 car at a time.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭Heroditas

You certainly have right of way entering at the Ashtown gate. Not sure about the Knockmaroon gate but I think you have right of way entering there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Heroditas wrote: »
    You certainly have right of way entering at the Ashtown gate. Not sure about the Knockmaroon gate but I think you have right of way entering there too.

Thanks,

It was the Ashtown Gate I was going through earlier. There was a line of cars waiting to exit, and some bloke comes flying out behind a car that was exiting. I was left sitting in the middle of the junction because of him, and so raised my hand and shook my head (as ya do!).

He starts gesturing back at me and pulls up beside me and rolls down his window (obvoiusly looking for an argument), and I said, "cars entering have right of way"..... you could see the look on his face change when he realised I was right, and the idiot started shoutin somethin.... but I couldn't hear as I had enough room to get in so drove off and left him sitting there in the middle of the junction (Fool!).

Anyway, later on I was heading back out through the Ashtown gate again, and I waited well inside the gate so that some traffic could get in, and some eejit in a van behind me starts beeping!

AARRRRGH!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

That ashtown gate and junction is a joke. First of all it needs to be made wider for two cars and secondly a roundabout just outside it needs to be put in place.
    or at very least a sign saying cars entering have right of way

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

I live right beside this gate so I'm passing it several times a day - I think most people don't actually know/care who has right of way and it's a case of bully most of the time.

As far as I know the Castleknock road (the one from the roundabout...) has right of way, followed by Blackhorse Ave and then finally the traffic exiting the Park.

Try it on a bike for some real fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭MarkN

Used to live in the old racecourse and daily someone would do their best to crash into you coming from Blackhorse Ave. Junction is an utter joke and is probably worst on winter mornings especially if you're coming from Castleknock Rd.

Blackhorse Ave has a Stop sign I think, the Park has a Yield sign, I'm not too sure about Blackhorse having a right over the exit from the Ashtown gate though - could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Traditionally, there was a gentlemans agreement to allow those exiting the park to have right of way.

Obviously, cars got cheaper, and gentlemens agreements disappeared.

As for the various gates
    Ashtown:
    Exiting the park: those people have to obey the yield sign
    Entering from the avenue: those people have to obey the yield
    Entering from Castleknock or the Navan road: those people coming from the Navan road have priority over Castleknock, as the Castleknock have to cross the road.

Parkgate gate:
    pretty obvious, but upon exit, no right turn

Chapo gate:
    entry only

Island bridge gate:
    exit only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭kdevitt

The Park is private property - so traffic entering from public roads always have right of way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

He starts gesturing back at me and pulls up beside me and rolls down his window (obvoiusly looking for an argument), and I said, "cars entering have right of way"..... you could see the look on his face change when he realised I was right, and the idiot started shoutin somethin.... but I couldn't hear as I had enough room to get in so drove off and left him sitting there in the middle of the junction (Fool!).
    The Yield sign at the Ashtown gate is actually painted on the road when you are exiting.

The whole junction is an accident waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

I live nearby & never knew which traffic has right on any of the entry/exit points. I would usually give way to traffic depending on the layout of the junction.

Blackhorse gets clogged up on the inside so I would let cars out if there is a queue & vice versa for Ashtown.

There should be signs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Only one entrance is messy, all others are one way only and/or have stops, give way signs and lights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Thinking about it though, it makes sense that exiting traffic has to give way to entering traffic. Exiting traffic has a lot of space to queue and that won't block anything. Also, Blackhorse Avenue can yeild and has room to queue. The road coming off the Navan Road heading towards Castleknock has priority and when someone forces their way out from the park you then see what a mess it causes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

Ashtown Gate has to be most confusing junction I've ever seen. I don't think anyone knows who has right of way and people just have to take their chances entering and exiting the park, as well as coming to and from Blackhorse Ave.

Would it not make sense to have a roundabout at this junction? See below for a very crude plan.

ashtown.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I was actually just about to start a thread aboutthis junction asking what would be the correct way to signal when entering the park from the ashtown roundabout direction. If I indicate left traffic will assume I'm turning down blackhorse avenue. If I don't indicate they'll assume I'm continuing along Castleknock road (which curves around to the right.).

A mini roundabout would sure as hell make things a lot less confusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭Heroditas

They probably don't want to put a roundabout there because it would encourage more people to use the exits, thus encouraging more people to use the park as a rat-run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

Heroditas wrote: »
    They probably don't want to put a roundabout there because it would encourage more people to use the exits, thus encouraging more people to use the park as a rat-run.

That sounds like an Irish solution alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Zombie thread!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement