Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Commuters with suits

• 16-09-2014 12:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭

I have to wear a suit for work and I have a 10k commute to the office. At the moment I have a halfords pannier and a halfords pannier laptop bag to carry it all. Both are ok but getting a suit plus wash bag, towel and shoes in the pannier is a challenge, mostly it crumples like crazy.

Anyone else have to wear a suit? Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

krissovo wrote: »
    I have to wear a suit for work and I have a 10k commute to the office. At the moment I have a halfords pannier and a halfords pannier laptop bag to carry it all. Both are ok but getting a suit plus wash bag, towel and shoes in the pannier is a challenge, mostly it crumples like crazy.

Anyone else have to wear a suit? Any tips?
    Leave two suits in work, and take them home at the weekend when they need a clean. Same with shoes. You'll only have to pack shirt, sox, jox and washbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JPWOctane

endacl wrote: »
    take them home at the weekend when they need a clean.

Or get them cleaned near work and never take them home.

If the above isn't feasible, how about hanging your jacket up in the office and packing the rest? Your trousers should survive the journey without too much wrinkling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

JPWOctane wrote: »
    Or get them cleaned near work and never take them home.

If the above isn't feasible, how about hanging your jacket up in the office and packing the rest? Your trousers should survive the journey without too much wrinkling.

I do this - keep 2 suits with spare trousers in work and have them dry cleaned local to work. Also leave shoes, was bags ties etc and everything you don't want to be carrying daily in work.

Bring a shirt in daily with socks and jocks. One of the lads in the office kindly bought an iron and small ironing board - we commandeered an attic room so can change, iron etc up there (no shower though....)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Do people still wear suits to work?!!
    I thought all that malarchy stopped when the bubble burst :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Do people still wear suits to work?!!
    I thought all that malarchy stopped when the bubble burst :)

Now is when you find out who has a good job and who used to think their call centre was a good job :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

If you're bringing clean shirt or trousers in put them in a cereal box to keep them uncrumpled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Orion wrote: »
    If you're bringing clean shirt or trousers in put them in a cereal box to keep them uncrumpled.

Take the cereal out first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I do this - keep 2 suits with spare trousers in work and have them dry cleaned local to work. Also leave shoes, was bags ties etc and everything you don't want to be carrying daily in work.

Bring a shirt in daily with socks and jocks. One of the lads in the office kindly bought an iron and small ironing board - we commandeered an attic room so can change, iron etc up there (no shower though....)

I did this and would actually bring in five shirts (plus a spare for the locker when needed) on the Monday and bring them back on teh Friday.

This meant that I had a relatively hassle free commute for most of the week. When the suits needed cleaning, they get done near work. Ties etc would be at the desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jkb_dub

Henty Wingman ? www.henty.cc

Not used myself but if I needed to wear a suit and wasn't able to keep clothes in the office I'd be tempted. Seems to get some good reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭Roddylarge

Im doing my first ever commute to work tomorrow. The college I work at is starting up a cycling club with its first spin tomorrow.
    My commute is 4km, so i don't think there is any need to get the lycra on, however I'm considering making my commute longer and using it as a way of exercising everyday. Some of the tips here have been great.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

endacl wrote: »
    Take the cereal out first.

Legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Do a quick google on folding a suit. There's some great methods out there that basically involve turning a shoulder inside out. I'll try to find a link later when not at work. Then as another poster said, place it in a cereal box (or firm bag or large document holder etc) to prevent creases.

I then place this in a backpack and it works great. Just remember to hang it up again in the evenings. Belts, ties etc can go in zip lock bags. Shoes can have shoe trees inserted if you're so inclined. All will fit comfortably with rainwear etc in a 25l backpack.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Buchaill_Mor

I like the jerseys with the full tuxedo, shirt and bow tie printed on them. Loads on e-bay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭neris

See 3:50 - 4:20 then stop (it gets scary)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

I like the jerseys with the full tuxedo, shirt and bow tie printed on them. Loads on e-bay.

Or like these.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-2014-British-gentleman-Cycling-clothing-Cycling-wear-Cycling-jersey-short-sleeve-Bib-Shorts-Suite/1867428121.html

First attempt to insert an image:

1867428121.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

Or like these.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-2014-British-gentleman-Cycling-clothing-Cycling-wear-Cycling-jersey-short-sleeve-Bib-Shorts-Suite/1867428121.html

First attempt to insert an image:

1867428121.html#

Advertisement