Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some Tyre Questions

• 13-09-2014 8:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

I was cleaning the bike today and noticed some nicks and bulges in my tyres - Michelin Pro4 Service Course with just over 3,000km on them.

I didn't fancy tomorrow's spin on these tyres so decided to head to an LBS (not my usual one) to get replacements. The reason I did the dirt on my usual LBS is because I had a voucher for the other one. Anyway, the only half decent tyres they had for the money I had was a pair of Mavic Aksions 23s. From looking at reviews after the purchase it appears that they won't last as long as my Pro4s.

So here's my questions to the good folks of 410:

1. If you've used Mavic Aksions - how did you find them for rolling, puncture resistance, wear and reliability?

2. My bike - 2014 Giant Defy 4 - has stock Giant SR-2 wheels and came with 25 tyres and the Pro4s were also 25. Am I correct to assume that 23s are safe to fit? (I hope so because they are fitted and inflated to ± 8 bar)

3. What comfort differences can I expect moving from 25s to 23s?

As the purchase was via a FOC voucher plus a few of my own €, I'm not too worried about value but I'd like a few opinions before I purchase some back up Pro4s online but I'll need to decide between 23 vs 25 first so some road testing on the 23s will be required.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

1. Poor puncture resistance and the tyres begin to visibly disintegrate after a few weeks use. Probably the worst tyre I've ever used. Fairly good rolling resistance though.

2. Yes.

3. Some people fine a reduction in comfort but it depends on one's comfort level to begin with. I've never found 23's to be uncomfortable and I find they have less rolling resistance (although others will dispute that).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

1. Poor puncture resistance and the tyres begin to visibly disintegrate after a few weeks use. Probably the worst tyre I've ever used. Fairly good rolling resistance though.

2. Yes.

3. Some people fine a reduction in comfort but it depends on one's comfort level to begin with. I've never found 23's to be uncomfortable and I find they have less rolling resistance (although others will dispute that).

Thanks, WA. I did come across a negative review that you gave them a while back. I think if I get 1,000km out of them I'll be doing well - but hey, they were (almost) free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

crosstownk wrote: »
    Thanks, WA. I did come across a negative review that you gave them a while back. I think if I get 1,000km out of them I'll be doing well - but hey, they were (almost) free.
    It's possible I may have just got a bad pair as little strips of rubber began to peel off the sides (almost as if something sharp was coming into contact with the tyres while rolling). They were the stock tyres that came with one of my bikes hence the reason I had them.

the tyres begin to visibly disintegrate after a few weeks use.

A few weeks for you is probably a few months for me based on your distances on Strava ;)

I did 130km on these Mavics yesterday. They do roll very well and I don't find the ride on 23s any harsher than than my previous 25 Pro4s. I did find them a bit giddy on rough surfaces when out of the saddle. I was on unfamiliar roads yesterday but I'll give them a test on more familiar territory over the coming weeks and see how they behave.

I'll report in more detail as the kms and meters rack up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i've just changed out a pair of mavic yksions pro after almost 5000km, and i;d say there is a bit more life in them. replaced with gp4000's, a forum favourite. NO complaints about the mavic's wear wise or robustness wise, and rolling resistance they were on par with the 4000's from what i can see

admittedly the yksions are a level above the aksions, but i'd wager you'll be happy enough with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

2. My bike - 2014 Giant Defy 4 - has stock Giant SR-2 wheels and came with 25 tyres

i got less than 750 km out of my tyres that came with my Defy. rubbish tyres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

i got less than 750 km out of my tyres that came with my Defy. rubbish tyres

Rather that start a new thread I'll resurrect this one as feedback on the Mavic Aksions that I fitted last year.

I used them over the last 4 months of 2014 and swapped them for a pair of Pro 4s when I did a major upgrade to the bike. The Aksions weren't worn so I kept them in the shed.

As luck would have it, I ripped one of the Pro4s on the Tallaght Bypass with only 700km on the tyre. As I had no new tyres, I dug out the Aksions and refitted them. I've been using them up to today when I decided that the rear was worn flat enough to need replacing.

I have to say that the Mavic Aksions performed perfectly. I've put up about 5,000kms on them and only had one puncture (last week) that was caused by a large shard of glass. I've been using them for commuting across Dublin and on longer weekend spins. They roll really well. I was that impressed that I ordered a second pair from CRC last week (€37 for the pair). I attempted to fit them this evening but fcuk me, the new ones are a b1tch to get on. I need the bike to get to work tomorrow so I abandoned the task and fitted a new pair of Pro4s that I had. My fingers are now sore :(

Sorry for resurrecting a zombie thread but as I've seen mixed review on these tyres I thought I'd follow it up.

Advertisement