Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which one? Motivation needed

Options
  • 08-09-2014 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

Got a bike, first one in a long time (decades). Need to motivate myself and keep some pressure on to make sure I continue to do this during the winter.

Decided I would ideally like something like a Garmin 510 but not going to justify this.

So two options remain.

- Garmin Edge 200 (£82.48). GPS, no sensor, trip recording.
    - PO438 Alpha ( £67.99). No GPS, ALL sensors, No trip.

Help!

M
    Ps. live in Kerry - it's all hills.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrhappy42

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

I'd be inclined to go with the Garmin unit so you can upload your trips to Strava. I've got the 200 about a month now and it runs great, no issues with it at all. Uploading to strava is easy and as I'm using Linux, I simply upload it via the browser instead of garmin connect (only on windows/mac). I'm not sure where I'd be without strava, I can see gradual increases in performance (time reduction on sectors and full trips) over the past 2 months (1 of which I've had the 200 for). I was originally using my phone but for longer trips it zaps the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Get the Garmin. You can use it to track your workouts. Great for motivation, and you should be able to sell it if you decide to upgrade. Never heard of the other unit.

Alternatively, look at the Garmin 500. The base model without HR and cadence has come down on price on Amazon, and you could always get those bits later. Admittedly, HR is useful for developing discipline on big climbs.

Reviews of the 510 elsewhere on this forum suggest it should be avoided. The main plus point (Bluetooth connectivity to your phone) seems to be buggy, if it works at all.

I wrote of the phone idea for the battery, even with an extra battery pack and the whole rain proof thing.

I find a favour the heavier gears and that I then do less rotations and strain my knee, was thinking that the cadence might help me keep an eye on that.

I'm leaning for the 200 right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,498 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

How long are you intending to go out? As you are starting out I would think that 3/4 hours would be a fairly big cycle (hey even if you not starting out) so battery life on the phone shouldn't be a big issue.

Use Strava or some such on the phone (if you have a smartphone) and get a simple computer from Lidl/adverts etc so €10. That will be enough to begin with.

In terms of cadence, it really is as simple as counting your legs for a few seconds every now and then to see what level. Take readings on the flat, climbing etc and get a good undertanding of your body. You don't need a computer to tell you you are hurting your knees.

Best computer is your head. Listen to what your body is telling you, if you feel your mashing change to an easier gear.

Strava etc are great, I use them and I have a Garmin and love it too. But I know lots of others who just go out and ride, go faster when they feel strong and slower when they don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Quick question on the Garmin 200. Does it upload via WiFi or do you have to plug a USB cable into your laptop/PC and manually upload data to GarminConnect/Strava?

I currently use my Smartphone and the Strava app. I use this mount for the phone http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JMKSMT0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which is fully waterproof, securely attached to the bike and allows me to use the phone. Although it isn't as aesthetically neat as a dedicated device like the Garmin 200 I like the way my rides are instantly sync'd with Strava and becuase I'd be carrying my phone on rides anyway it's one less thing to bring and charge etc.

I do however like the neat look of the Garmin so if it auto sync'd over WiFi I'd be tempted to get it and buy a small cheap old school phone like this ultra thin GSM phone for €15 delivered http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Ultra-Thin-AEKU-M5-Mini-Phone-Student-Pocket-Card-Russian-Portuguese-Indonesian-Swedish-Arabic-Language/1717188369.html with a PAYG sim which I'd leave in my saddle bag for emergencies thus not having to bring my smartphone with me at all.

For the 200 you need to plug it in to your computer.

My phone is two years old and battery not easy to replace, i.e not holding its charge that well. So two hours and its close to dying.

However find the apps not great, used them for other things over the years. Last weekend had 5k missing from the tracking (very heavy rain) so can only assume the GPS lock was lost for a while.

I like the idea of using your head for counting, kind of been using that up to now, I roughly know the distance and then just check the time etc. buy its nice to actually see your speed for a bit of motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

In the absence of joining a local club, a Garmin 200 and Strava are good motivators.
    Upload your rides to Strava and start getting out there to beat your (and other people's) personal bests on segments.

I find having pre arranged to meet other people for a 9am cycle the best motivation though, no chance you'd consider this?

Yes did that over the weekend, loads of clubs around so that's part of the plan alright. Find that I'm falling in the middle, to fast for some and to slow for others - I need to eat more or practice more :-).

However some days it would be nice to ride against those times we did as a team, i.e when others are not going out.

Ok a 200 it is. thank you all. appreciate that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

Don't get the 200 - it's very limited. It doesn't do HR or cadence and you can't edit the data screen to show fields of your choosing. It doesn't have a barometric altimeter either, so elevation data will be poor quality.

Don't get the 200 - it's very limited. It doesn't do HR or cadence and you can't edit the data screen to show fields of your choosing. It doesn't have a barometric altimeter either, so elevation data will be poor quality.

It's a good starting device, once you know that (a) you're going to keep cycling and (b) the monitoring side of things interests you then a garmin 500/510 is the next step.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

The Byron 20T might also be of interest. Currently €72.01 in bike 24 - link - with Irish VAT and shipping included.

The "20T" model comes with GPS, cadence and HR. I got one a few months ago and find it good.

Damn.

Had bought the 200 at Lunch time.

Review of the Byron here. http://road.cc/content/review/61173-bryton-rider-20e-gps-cycle-computer

With the sensors it's good value. The GPS module on the 200 seems to use larger satellite range, do you issues with locking on? That would be my main worry (I can handle the software conversion mention in the review).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

mrhappy42 wrote: »
    Damn.

Had bought the 200 at Lunch time.

Review of the Byron here. http://road.cc/content/review/61173-bryton-rider-20e-gps-cycle-computer

With the sensors it's good value. The GPS module on the 200 seems to use larger satellite range, do you issues with locking on? That would be my main worry (I can handle the software conversion mention in the review).

No problem with GPS and/or locking. Also, no issue with "software conversion". Unlike my Android phone with the Strava app running, the Byron needs to be plugged into a PC and the ride details exported - using the Byron app - to a TCX file which is then manually uploaded using Strava.

My only negative observations to date are:
    • Data points only collected every 4 seconds as opposed to every 1 second when using Strava app on the phone.
    • Sometimes the cadence sensor isn't picked up (The HR always is)
    Anyway, hope the Garmin works out well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

As soon as you start using it, you won't regret buying the edge 200.

Ok. 200 arrived.
    - Clip was 5 seconds.
    - Read the instructions, by watching YouTube video.
    - followed instructions from a reviewer on amazon about loading a route, pressed start and cycled for hours.

Results:
    - lock for gps instant.
    - paused when stopping
    - told me when route was off (we took a short cut)
    - showed the route I had loaded, including a nice %age complete along the top.
    - the route I had loaded had timings set and told me when I was ahead or behind
    - elevation was off at one point, around the time we entered the tunnel in glengarriff, it lost the signal in the tunnel.
    - it rotates the stats, speed, avg, alt etc. As you cycle.
    - unclipped at home, opened strava, selected file upload, selected files, job done.
    - unlike my phone it did not miss any segments (when using the strava app)
    - it's small, but screen is fine

Thank you all

Advertisement