Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McNally SwordsCC - Beginner/new member Spins in North County Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Beasty should be made do them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

@RAAM...You don't need a CI license ;)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,614 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Raam wrote: »
    Beasty should be made do them.
    Would love to, and will try and get along to one of them, but it may be a bit too advanced for me at present ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

07Lapierre wrote: »
    @RAAM...You don't need a CI license ;)

I'll get a refund so.

No refunds, just race more!

• Advertisement

Update on this. We've decided that the 60k route might be putting people off, so we've added a 30k route. So don't let the distance put you off! :)

https://sites.google.com/site/swordscc/club-announcements/newmembersbeginnersspins

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

07Lapierre

whats the pace going to be like? I'm a 50+ mamil commuting daily for 2 years. I have no experience in a group.

At the moment I've been off the bike since July after tangling with a car. I've just started back last week.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,614 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Puggy wrote: »
    07Lapierre

whats the pace going to be like? I'm a 50+ mamil commuting daily for 2 years. I have no experience in a group.

At the moment I've been off the bike since July after tangling with a car. I've just started back last week.

The pace will be determined by the ability of those that turn up. You will find riding in a group a lot easier than riding alone, so it may be a few km/h faster than you are used to but you will probably never notice.

This will be ideal for you. No-one will be left behind, and the fact you've been commuting for a couple of years should give you the basic endurance required. This is exactly the right sort of spin to get you familiarised with riding in a group, and you are exectly the type of rider it's aimed at.

Give the shorter one a go to start off with if you've not been on the bike much recently. See how it feels, then you'll be raring to give the longer one a go next time....

Puggy wrote: »
    07Lapierre

You'll be fine...as Beasty says, the pace will be determined by the slowest rider. These spins are about learning to ride in a group, there not about speed.

Here's some info about group riding which we will be putting into practice on the spins...
    http://cyclingulster.com/documentation/A%20Guide%20to%20group%20Riding.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

That was the best time I've ever had on a bike. Was a bit wary of cycling so close to other people at first, but the effort saved, especially in the wind is awesome.

If you got a road bike and have never tried this, give it a go next week.

Thanks to everyone in Swords CC.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that feedback Puggy. Also thanks to 07Lapierre who was the driving force behind these spins. More generally though I would encourage anyone who is wanting to get out more with like-minded individuals on their bikes to check with their local clubs. Most will cater for all abilities and at this time of year many are starting to include introductory spins in their calendar

Great turnout this morning! Just over 20 riders and everyone completed the 60k route. Well done to everyone and I hope we have the same turnout next Sunday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,239 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hmm. i may be interested in this. have not reached the 60k mark yet, but i've been managing 50k spins at about 26/27kph on my lonesome for the last week.

hmm. i may be interested in this. have not reached the 60k mark yet, but i've been managing 50k spins at about 26/27kph on my lonesome for the last week.
    You will be absolutely fine with this distance, particularly in a group - it will be a piece of cake if you can go at that speed alone for over 2 hours already

One lady who completed today's spin had only ever cycled 20k before! You'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Was meant to bring my young fella out this morning to give it a try but a late night last night didnt help. Will get him out next week and tag along myself be a good excuse to get back and do some proper cycling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I was thinking about coming out to one of the spins. Last year I was doing 60-80km but this year I've been injured and most I've done is 10 minute son the turbo a few days. Doubt I'd be up for it yet. Are there any more new member spins maybe after Christmas?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,239 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm about 10k from the meeting point, so that's quite doable. and i need the impetus to get me out of the house over the winter.

I was thinking about coming out to one of the spins. Last year I was doing 60-80km but this year I've been injured and most I've done is 10 minute son the turbo a few days. Doubt I'd be up for it yet. Are there any more new member spins maybe after Christmas?

I'm thinking of running a few more in early 2015, but there are no definite plans yet. Any spins will be posted on the SwordsCC website and here on boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭Stillnotworking

As Puggy said, thanks again to everyone in the club for your time and patience with us newbies. Riding in the group was daunting at first, but it was a completely enjoyable morning spin. I will see you there next Sunday.

Owen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

I'm thinking of running a few more in early 2015, but there are no definite plans yet. Any spins will be posted on the SwordsCC website and here on boards.

joining the youths for a spin is always a good way to get the feel for it if the timing of these doesn't suit. usually about 50km @ about 25kmh. its a small enough group( that could change after these spins) so you wont feel lolst in the pack and as always nobody is left behind

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭fillup

If I'd have spotted this thread last week I'd prob have headed along

I've been toying with the idea of going for a spin with a club to see what it's like

I may pop along next Sunif the schedule allows and if that's ok with yer good selves

fillup wrote: »
    I may pop along next Sunif the schedule allows and if that's ok with yer good selves
    Everybody's welcome - you don't need to ask

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Diggabot

Are ye doing the 30km or 60km this sunday? I'd be interested in doing the longer spin. I live in Swords and was thinking of joining the club so it'd be a good chance to get some group riding experience (I usually go out solo or with 2 or 3 friends) and meet some members.

Diggabot wrote: »
    Are ye doing the 30km or 60km this sunday? I'd be interested in doing the longer spin. I live in Swords and was thinking of joining the club so it'd be a good chance to get some group riding experience (I usually go out solo or with 2 or 3 friends) and meet some members.

My Intention is to do a 60k route next Sunday. I'm changing the route as there was quite a bit of traffic on the Lusk/Skerries road, so I want to avild that.

My Intention is to do a 60k route next Sunday. I'm changing the route as there was quite a bit of traffic on the Lusk/Skerries road, so I want to avild that.

What time are you aiming to be back in Swords at?
    It's All Ireland Sunday and as much as i love a good spin there's football to be a watching!!!

What time are you aiming to be back in Swords at?
    It's All Ireland Sunday and as much as i love a good spin there's football to be a watching!!!

Football??...Whats that? :)

Last week we were back in Swords at 12.30..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Yea and you held me up for ages from Blake's Cross to Lusk too. Sort that out or you're gone come the next AGM pal.

Football??...Whats that? :)

Last week we were back in Swords at 12.30..

It's what hurlers play when their eye sight starts fading

• Advertisement

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Yea and you held me up for ages from Blake's Cross to Lusk too. Sort that out or you're gone come the next AGM pal.

Another reason to avoid lusk...Did you see that nutter swinging out of the railings in Lusk while waving a bidon at us? Some crazy people living there! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Just looked at the route maps. Is the circuit clockwise or anticlockwise?

Usually ANTI- Clockwise direction.. Doh!

Another reason to avoid lusk...Did you see that nutter swinging out of the railings in Lusk while waving a bidon at us? Some crazy people living there! ;)
    That wasn't water he was squirting at you.

You also need to watch out for the soiled nappies flying across the by-pass....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I know him. He's a legend.

This is the proposed route for Sunday.. (Anti-clockwise direction)

https://www.strava.com/routes/947249

• Advertisement

ah bugger. i'd read the thread as the spins having been on saturdays. christ knows how i managed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 flutehook

ah bugger. i'd read the thread as the spins having been on saturdays. christ knows how i managed that.

Fair play to you for organising this - I'm in your target demographic and would love to do this but am not free for next few Sundays unfortunately. :(

wasn't me who organised anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

I'll get out to this if I can. Although I've done lots of cycling not much of it at all in groups. Interested in learning how not to be a liability in group spins!

I'll get out to this if I can. Although I've done lots of cycling not much of it at all in groups. Interested in learning how not to be a liability in group spins!

You more than welcome to come along.

Check out the guide to Group cycling..click Here and scroll to the bottom of the page.

• Advertisement

Hi 07LaPierre.

Where exactly is the start point on North Street?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Business Park opposite Rock's Funeral Home.

Hi 07LaPierre.

Where exactly is the start point on North Street?

Cheers

North Street Business Park ( where Enterprise Car Rental are located)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Business Park opposite Rock's Funeral Home.

Well planned, if you have a heart attack the club gets commission!

North Street Business Park ( where Enterprise Car Rental are located)

12k from the gaff
    That'll loosen up the legs before I pop my peloton cherry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

07Lapierre - I should be able to make it for next Sunday (28th).

Did I see a bunch of you passing through Garristown earlier, at about half ten or a quarter to eleven?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Oh my legs hurt. 1st time out on a long spin in 3 years was great though even if it did remind me im overweight and unfit

• Registered Users Posts: 30 bungalow

I would definitely be interested in joining but not till after the marathon, so it would be November if its still going. Does it matter what bike you have? I got a cheap mountain bike back in may but haven't really used it yet. I'm not going to invest in anything better till I actually start using the one I have.

Another great turnout this morning for the new members spin. Over 30 riders so we had two groups who completed a 50k spin around NCD. We'll done to all of you. It was great to see so many turn up.

https://www.strava.com/activities/197429181

• Advertisement
Advertisement