Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another DFB ambulance crash

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

I hope every one is ok after that. This after the recent one at the traffic lights.

One would wonder, don't the lads want HSE to take their ambulances? 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Has driver training been cut back in the emergency services ? Seems to be too many accidents happening lately and I'd be looking at driver training first ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Capri wrote: »
    Has driver training been cut back in the emergency services ? Seems to be too many accidents happening lately and I'd be looking at driver training first ?

I would hazard a guess that other drivers are at fault and there driver training has actually prevented accidents been more serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

If I was too guess I would assume Delta 104 will be wrote off due it been one of the older transits but what will happen with 84 ? To me it does look like a Cat B write off (like 104) but I could be wrong.

I think lack of drivers would be an issue..having to work long shifts,If your very fatigued your more likely to make a mistake when driving at speed,I would say those vehicles are to easy to control with full level of concentration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭NonBeliever14

Hope both recover soon. According to DFB, they cover all shifts, so a shortage of "drivers" is not relevant. The incident happened during a 9 hour shift, not exactly a "long" shift. The DFB roster is for the most part, 4 days on, 4 days off. Clearly driver behaviour has to be considered and whether or not the acuity of the call warranted emergency driving. Interesting that the usual media and private operator commentators are not calling for an "investigation, more "regulation" or asking how many staff have done emergency driver training. The usual double standards being applied when it's not NAS involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

If I was too guess I would assume Delta 104 will be wrote off due it been one of the older transits but what will happen with 84 ? To me it does look like a Cat B write off (like 104) but I could be wrong.

84 is a 09D, not exactly new. Definite write off looking at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

The DFB roster is for the most part, 4 days on, 4 days off

Not unless it has changed very recently it isnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

sdeire wrote: »
    84 is a 09D, not exactly new. Definite write off looking at that.

Said in the Indo today that it will be repaired and placed back in service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Hope both recover soon. According to DFB, they cover all shifts, so a shortage of "drivers" is not relevant. The incident happened during a 9 hour shift, not exactly a "long" shift. The DFB roster is for the most part, 4 days on, 4 days off. Clearly driver behaviour has to be considered and whether or not the acuity of the call warranted emergency driving. Interesting that the usual media and private operator commentators are not calling for an "investigation, more "regulation" or asking how many staff have done emergency driver training. The usual double standards being applied when it's not NAS involved.

Your comment is wrong on many counts. Please state and stick to facts if you feel the need to post, otherwise, maybe just read instead before others are mis-informed :)

1) This occurred before 9am, and it was the night shift. That means a 15 hour shift unless it's Saturday night or bank holiday Sunday night.

2) DFB do not work a 4 on 4 off rota. Typically the shift equates to 4 mixed shifts over the course of a calendar week, but it certainly is not 4 on back to back. It's 3 at worst and 2 at best back to back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

msg11 wrote: »
    Said in the Indo today that it will be repaired and placed back in service.

Ah, the public service. Where repair budget > new budget.

Only nonsense policy would repair such a heavily damaged, 5-year old vehicle when it will only need replacement very shortly anyway.

The mind boggles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

sdeire wrote: »
    Ah, the public service. Where repair budget > new budget.

Only nonsense policy would repair such a heavily damaged, 5-year old vehicle when it will only need replacement very shortly anyway.

The mind boggles.

It depends on whether the vehicle is deemed to be beyond economic repair. I've seen worse being repaired on older vehicles in the army.

Advertisement