Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnock with growth on beak

Options
  • 05-04-2010 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭

I have had a Dunnock hanging arond the bird feeders for a few months, I noticed that he always seemed to have what looked like a piece of fruit in his mouth. Today I took a closer look at him and looks like its some sort of growth/tumour on his beak. Anyone see something like this before? It doesn't seem to stop him eating anyway.
    109857.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I have never seen anything like this before! I look forward to any replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Poor little fella. However he picked the right garden to hang out in, he feasts on steamed mealworms that I scatter on the ground. I think he also eats seeds that fall out of the feeders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Deformities have been recorded in a wide range of birds and often among finches. They can be caused by injury, genetic defect and disease and most noticeably affect the beak and legs of birds. I wouldn't worry too much about this one. Usually there is no pain involved and the birds nornally adapt well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Took a few more pics of him yesterday, it really is a big growth for a small bird and quite ugly looking.
    110572.jpg
    110573.jpg
    110574.jpg

Advertisement