Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Two Owls

• 02-04-2010 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

I saw a pair of (what I think were) barn owls tonight in Co. Limerick.

They were calling back and forth for a while, and then they appeared overhead me (and frightened the life out of me!)

Great to see there are still some around.

(1st time poster here - excuse my breathless enthusiasm!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I am really jealous :D!! Keep an eye out for them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭stopped_clock

boneless wrote: »
    Keep an eye out for them!!

Oh I will. I'll certainly recognise their call next time I hear it. It is eerie - especially when there are two calling back and forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭imbroglio

Wow, you're very lucky! i'd absolutely love to see/hear owls in the wild!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

I believe the male calls "towit" and female answers "towoo" just a useless bit of information :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I believe the male calls "towit" and female answers "towoo" just a useless bit of information :)

Nooooooo! :eek:

The Twit Twoo belongs to the Tawny Owl - which we don't have in Ireland!

A Tawny Owl never actually calls "twit twoo". In fact the "twit" or more accurately "ke-wick" is a Tawny Owl's contact call and the "twoo" or again more accurately "hoo-hoo-oooo" is the male's territorial call. Consequently, if you hear "ke-wick hoo-hoo-oooo" it is most likely a male answering a female (or another male).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

An owl swooped over the M50 near the Ballymun interchange on Saturday night. It looked too big and dark for a Barn Owl, I know there are short eared owls in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Long-eared and Short-eared Owls are both about 17" long with 36" wingspans. OCuld have been either. Great to see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 123oclock

I have seen either the long/short eared owl about 5 times in the last two weeks near kill kildare....first time i thought it was a buzzard as there are a few nearby but one night it flew right over the car on the slip road just near kill and i knew it was as owl by the way it was flying...i take the same road everyday to work and what i see are glimpses and i know some day soon i am going to crash the car looking to see if i have seen one......

Advertisement