Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Woodlands Falconry Carlow

• 29-03-2010 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

I was off last week and on Friday decided to nip down to Woodlands Falconry which is at the back of Rathwood Garden Centre near Tullow in Carlow. It was brilliant and all the birds looked so healthy and happy.

Tommy was on hand and both my wife and I got great pics holding a Harris Hawk. I'll post some of my pics tomorrow, but you can actually sit beside the birds and take photos. My favourite was a Peregrine Falcon, the mischievous look in its' eyes was priceless. Great place to bring kids to learn about birds of prey and I was delighted to get so close to them. Definitely worth a trip!

http://blog.woodlandsfalconry.com/photos/
    http://www.rathwood.com/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

I've been to visit Woodlands Falcony a couple of times.
    Most recently I was delighted to see some new birds, various owls and especially the vulture (reminds me of some of the in-laws....lol)
    It's certainly a great place to get up close and personal with beautiful (except the vulture :D) birds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

i see they do a course on keeping these birds, i have been looking for a place to get some experience with a while, have they a good set up there, has anyone done the course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

BTW: There are plenty of other Falconry Centres and Falconry Schools around the country. I'll not advertise any here but Google it.

BTW: There are plenty of other Falconry Centres and Falconry Schools around the country. I'll not advertise any here but Google it.

BTW: I believe the title of the thread is "Woodlands falconry Carlow" and the OP was expressing his enjoyment of a visit there. It was not "there are plenty of falconry centres around the country. google them"

BTW: I best most people using boards are well aware of and are very capable of using Google.

BTW: If I started a thread about a visit to Mount Usher gardens, would you need to let people know that there are other gardens in the country or could they figure that out for themselves??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,169 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Git101 wrote: »
    BTW: If I started a thread about a visit to Mount Usher gardens, would you need to let people know that there are other gardens in the country or could they figure that out for themselves??
    i would not have known how many falconry schools there are in the country; if someone had asked i'd have probably guessed something like four. comparing public knowledge about a niche interest to something as broad as public gardens is a straw man argument.

the google comment was qualifying the fact that he was not going to spam the boards, and quite permissible as a result.

so the post was useful for me, at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

i am aware that there is other places, the op had been there so i thought i would ask him what the setup was like :confused: thanks for all replys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Sorry Jap, can't comment on the courses, wasn't aware of them. The thread has taken a strange direction for some reason. I hope my thread will encourage someone to visit that was otherwise unaware of its existence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Git101 wrote: »
    BTW: I believe the title of the thread is "Woodlands falconry Carlow" and the OP was expressing his enjoyment of a visit there. It was not "there are plenty of falconry centres around the country. google them"

BTW: I best most people using boards are well aware of and are very capable of using Google.

Sorry for taking this a bit off topic but What side of the bed did you get out of yesterday? Jap was expressing an interest in Falconry and I simply suggested there were other centres to look at. I suggested Google rather that me list them here or give preference to any one in particular , in line with Board rules on advertising. Sorry if you read something else into it but nothing more was intended.

Sorry guys, maybe I was a little snappy ;) I just sometimes get a bit annoyed about pointless posts.
    jap gt wrote: »
    i see they do a course on keeping these birds, i have been looking for a place to get some experience with a while, have they a good set up there, has anyone done the course

I was speaking to Tommy from Woodlands Falconry recently and he said that they were starting falconry tuition soon but I don't know the exact details.
    They also do hawk walks, these can be a great introduction to getting hands on with birds of prey.

I've had lessons and can highly recommend them.

You can contact Tommy here for information.

Advertisement