Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice - Bike to work

Options
  • 08-01-2012 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Hi Guys

Looking to get a bike under the bike to work scheme but have no idea what to get. I am a complete novice. Will be using it to cycle to work most days instead of using the car and for going for cycles with a friend at the weekend. Wont really be going off road but will probably be on roads that aren't the best. My price bracket is around the 400-600 mark. Any advice on what type of bike to get or a link to a particular bike would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Transporting

Have a look at the options for Giant, http://www.expertcycles.ie/Sport_&_Lifestyle something like the Giant Seek 3 might be ideal for commuting if the roads are poor in your area, it has the slick tyres but they have more volume so will take more abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

What sort of distance will your commute and weekend spins be?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Rylan

Muller_1 wrote: »
    What sort of distance will your commute and weekend spins be?
    About 12 klm to work and back . Not sure about weekends

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

There is not one type of bike that is objectively better for your proposed usage. People tend to commute on whatever sort of bike appeals to them (hybrid, drop bar road bike, dutch-style urban bike or even MTB).

It is not uncommon to obsess over ride comfort and end up with something heavier and slower than you need. Avoid suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

I hope someone can help with this query as my hr dept can't give me an answer.

Basically I ordered a bike worth a grand early august, shop said it would be in mid Aug. Shop says bike will be another few weeks.
    This bike is now in my local shop and it's 750 euro cheaper. I have my 1 k one for all voucher ready to rock.can I change shop that's the question.
    Many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭fillup

I hope someone can help with this query as my hr dept can't give me an answer.

Basically I ordered a bike worth a grand early august, shop said it would be in mid Aug. Shop says bike will be another few weeks.
    This bike is now in my local shop and it's 750 euro cheaper. I have my 1 k one for all voucher ready to rock.can I change shop that's the question.
    Many thanks

If you haven't given them the money then i don't see why you couldn't bring your custom else where or re-negotiate the price

Is it really €750 cheaper, that would mean it's gone from €1000 to €250 - i think i'll buy that myself!!!

fillup wrote: »
    If you haven't given them the money then i don't see why you couldn't bring your custom else where or re-negotiate the price

Is it really €750 cheaper, that would mean it's gone from €1000 to €250 - i think i'll buy that myself!!!

Oh shcit my bad, it's gone from 1k to 9250,

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭fillup

if it's "only" 75 blips then you might get them to throw in a few extras to sweeten the deal. It'll keep them the business and it'll save you the hassle of going through all that paperwork again

fillup wrote: »
    if it's "only" 75 blips then you might get them to throw in a few extras to sweeten the deal. It'll keep them the business and it'll save you the hassle of going through all that paperwork again

Thing is they said I get nought extra, also other shop said they'll give me a giant defy 1 for 1k which is a great price

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Oh shcit my bad, it's gone from 1k to 9250,
    another spurious zero?

• Advertisement

another spurious zero?

Sorry bud

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Thing is they said I get nought extra, also other shop said they'll give me a giant defy 1 for 1k which is a great price

What shop was that. PM me if you could?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

You'll need to check with whoever created the voucher, it's possible you may need to start the process again with your job if you cancel.

Advertisement