Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help. Saddle post. Reverse 180 degrees?

• 15-09-2014 10:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have a niggling issue with my saddle and seatpost that have me wondering a few things. It's a canyon VLCS 1.0 (V23)

After a bike fit my current saddle looks like the following.
    auh6iw.jpg

So my first question(s) are, what is that a sign of? Bike to big/small? I only ask about the "big/small" as someone said I should be on an M/55/56 but I am not sure about that as I am 170cm/80cm inside leg/normal "ratios" and therefore anS/53? After the fitting I changed my Stem from 90 to 110 and I do feel a lot more comfortable on the bike. Would an M with a short Stem be the same?

Would I be right in saying that I am losing out on the shock absorption properties of the saddle itself? Given where it is clamped?

And finally, would it be OK to turn the seat post 180 degrees so that it sweeps forward rather than backwards? Its shock absorption properties wouldn't be affected?

(On reflection I probably should have went for a seat post with no setback and a slight set forward but I was afraid a Canyon S was going to be too small)

Or should I just leave everything be as it is OK?

Thank you in advance for any pointers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Get a seatpost with zero set back or (inline seatpost). Don't turn that one around. It will look daft like a goose.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/easton-ec70-zero-carbon-inline-seatpost/rp-prod11601

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you spun that seatpost around, it would leave your saddle going so far nose up it'd be completely unusable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

if you spun that seatpost around, it would leave your saddle going so far nose up it'd be completely unusable.

The top of the seat post is level and the way the clamp mechanism on top is at the minute is to suit the saddle rails. I can tilt it a lot either way. So I could have it level if I reverse the post. I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

no, because the seat post is itself at an angle. if the seat post is 5 degrees off vertical, the top of the seat post is angled 5 degrees to accomodate. if you spin the seatpost around, the 5 degree compensation in the seatpost will be facing the wrong direction, i.e. 10 degrees upwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

I had a bike fit done last week, I ride a small ridley (54cm top tube). Fitter said I needed a smaller bike, 52cm toptube. I'm 173cm tall with 81cm inside leg. I'd say 55-56 bike would be too big for you, but that also depends on your flexibility and balance point on the bike. My seat had to be set way back (had to get a 32mm setback seatpost) with a shorter stem, 90mm down from 100mm, to get my balance point. I'm fairly inflexible though. Did the bike fitter get your balance point correct, or even do it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Get an inline seat post as the set back in that one is quite extreme for your specific needs.

You could also fit a shorter stem and move your saddle back accordingly.

Get an inline seat post as the set back in that one is quite extreme for your specific needs.

You could also fit a shorter stem and move your saddle back accordingly.

That would change the balance point, making the bikefit a waste of time.

no, because the seat post is itself at an angle. if the seat post is 5 degrees off vertical, the top of the seat post is angled 5 degrees to accomodate. if you spin the seatpost around, the 5 degree compensation in the seatpost will be facing the wrong direction, i.e. 10 degrees upwards.

If I hadn't seen that with my own eyes, I'd never have believed the angle it went too. I'm going to guess it went from level to pointing up at about 40 degrees. Evel Knievel could have used it a a ramp.

WillyFXP wrote: »
    I had a bike fit done last week, I ride a small ridley (54cm top tube). Fitter said I needed a smaller bike, 52cm toptube. I'm 173cm tall with 81cm inside leg. I'd say 55-56 bike would be too big for you, but that also depends on your flexibility and balance point on the bike. My seat had to be set way back (had to get a 32mm setback seatpost) with a shorter stem, 90mm down from 100mm, to get my balance point. I'm fairly inflexible though. Did the bike fitter get your balance point correct, or even do it?

I had the Shimano bike fit done and I had my seat moved forward 20mm and ended up going from a 90mm stem to a 110mm to compensate. I'm fairly flexible too. It does feel a lot better and I have more power in the legs.

I think I am going to have to source a new post.

I have tweaked the current set up to move the bracket forward about 4/5mm so the saddle has a little more rail showing at the rear now.

Thanks everyone for the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭jamesd

Worth getting done? Ive always wanted to get a proper one done.

jamesd wrote: »
    Worth getting done? Ive always wanted to get a proper one done.

Highly recommended, Mark in Velocity in Oranmore bikes did mine, he has the only Apex fitting machine in Ireland :p

• Advertisement

Highly recommended, Mark in Velocity in Oranmore bikes did mine, he has the only Apex fitting machine in Ireland :p

Does he give you some detail to bring with you as in what size frame and stuff would suit you for future bike purchases or is it all based on making your current bike fit you ? Very interested in getting this done.

Does he give you some detail to bring with you as in what size frame and stuff would suit you for future bike purchases or is it all based on making your current bike fit you ? Very interested in getting this done.

You get a full printout of your ideal measurements for your current bike, Mark will give you pointers as to whether your current bike is the correct size. He will even talk you through and check the geometry of any bike you want to purchase in the future to make sure its suitable.

You get a full printout of your ideal measurements for your current bike, Mark will give you pointers as to whether your current bike is the correct size. He will even talk you through and check the geometry of any bike you want to purchase in the future to make sure its suitable.

Will defn give him a call. Thanks again

Got my fitting done today,need to get an 80mm stem for it and got the saddle raised up by about 25mm so will see how it is at the weekend.

Got my fitting done today,need to get an 80mm stem for it and got the saddle raised up by about 25mm so will see how it is at the weekend.

Don't panic if you start getting sore in new places/muscles etc. It could take a few cycles before your body/legs get used to the changes the cycle fit has made.

25mm is a fair old saddle rise, IMHO.

Advertisement