Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Rebel Tour 2014

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Man. That was really something today. They are God's own training roads. (He rides a Cervelo). Figuratively breathtaking scenery, literally breathtaking climbs. Epic epic weather. Some really really vicious little fcukers of 14 & 15% ramps around the pointy end of the peninsula too. But the Healy pass from Adrigole is just spectacular.

A hard HARD day on the bike particularly that last cruel interminable 20k in the main road into a headwind to Glengarrif. I was nearly crying, wondering where the help Glengarrif had gotten to at all.
    I'll be back next year. One of the most memorable days on the bike I've had I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Fabulous day on the 85 Km, hardly a cloud in the sky as we rolled out and a great buzz around Glengarriff. Breathtaking views on the course today its hard to imagine if there's a more beautiful cycle in the country. A few newbies I spoke to all mentioned the Scenery. As usual on the an post series Marshalling and food stops were top notch. The easterly wind made it hard going from the Healy pass but there was shelter in the group so we didn't suffer too much. Great buzz back in the town as everyone swapped stories and rehydrated!!!
    As usual thanks to everyone involved in putting these days together from the main sponsors to tea ladies and road marshals, your efforts are greatly appreciated. See you all next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

great day out, fantastic weather, and fair dues to all the marshalls, tea ladies and other volunteers.
    Met one boardsie in Tuosist, Hunterbiker?
    Some wind over the Healy pass!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Did 130 ish , on rebel tour . Skipped peninsula but got healy pass twice . Strava didn't work from glengarrif to Kenmare .

Boardsie passed me out on my second crack at healy pass, think he was on the 85

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Great day. Really well organised and savage weather. Was in my green boardsie top but had the gillet on too so only a couple of people spotted me.
    will do this again may work towards the 160

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

What a great day.

I had not too much training done for this and feared I would suffer, but JHC, I did not expect the level of suffering I went thorugh yesterday. At 120km I contemplated the broom wagon and even started to dream about myself lying out in the back of the van (the mind does strange things when the body is overstressed). The pulls after Allies pulled the legs off me and that 'duracell drag' near the end (it went on and on!) took what little I had left in the tank. Bizzarely, Healy I found Ok both times.

Seven hours 20 minutes in the saddle for what was the most epic ride I have done in years - talk about a love-hate ride. I will be back and will be better prepared next time.

My thanks to all the marshals and helpers spread out across this enourmous undertaking for all their gracious support - its a tribute to them that I never thought about my safety all day. Salut.

fotos here

http://beara.biz/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Did the 160 yesterday and it was very tough. I had done the 85 previous two years as well as last 4 ROK's and a load of other 100+ events but none come anywhere close to this. Stunning weather and the Beara Pennincula is so beautiful for cycling but those short sharp hills around Allihies and Eyeries are just so cruel. My legs we completely gone by the second Healy but I kept my head down and did some of the slowest cycling have done in years and made it to the top. Hardest part of the day is that long climb back to Glengarriff.

Feeling very good about myself today although very sore.

Congratulations and well done to everyone else who did this as it is no mean feat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

All the healy pass photos are there. But there were other yellow jacketed paparazzi around the route snapping my grimaces. Does anyone know where they'll be?

fat bloke wrote: »
    All the healy pass photos are there. But there were other yellow jacketed paparazzi around the route snapping my grimaces. Does anyone know where they'll be?

Keep an eye on beara camera club. Not sure if they're the same crowd though.

• Advertisement

http://westcorkphoto.zenfolio.com/p626914788
    More from the rebel tour.
    Look at that scenery!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

Look at that scenery!

Great pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Dipsomaniac

Look at that scenery!

I think I'm going to buy my one. Really nice photos.

jinkypolly wrote: »
    Great pics.

there's enough of you in them!

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

My first time doing the 160k this year, having done 85k last year.
    Took it slow and paced myself.
    Stopped to help a girl who's chain came off and another guy who had a fecked wheel and no phone.
    Reached Castletowmbere with 30 mins before cut off time, so decided to keep going.
    Next set of killer hills round Eyeries really sapped the reserves, but thankfully avoided the "Cleat Walk of Shame".

Healy 2nd time round, quads were drained but put the head down and ground my way up one more time. Half way up I strained my calf muscle, so was in pain to the finish.
    Worst period was the last 13k up that shaggn seemingly endless piece of crap hill before Glengariff, carrying an injury and into a head wind.
    Really thought I was gonna die..not to mention an arse that was in a whole world of pain :eek:!
    However mission done in 7hrs 30 mins (moving time).
    Stunning event, marshalling, food stops, organisation ...all great.

Only minor gripe was having no finish line to cross or guy on a mic to welcome us "slower" riders home. We had busted a gut just the same as all the rest on the 160 and yet, the inflatable finish line was gone when we rode in around 5ish and the stage was empty...except for some music :(. The mic guy was sitting outside having a drink.
    On the SKT the finish line was there till the very last ameego got home and the guy on the mic stood all day in the pissing rain and welcomed every single rider back to the very last man....it was a lovely moment to savour but on the R.C. there was nothing when we got in and I felt it would have been nice to be welcomed back to mark our achievement, as well as have a finishing line to cross, for the effort we had all put in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Had a great day doing the 85k on Saturday. Longest cycle to date and also the most climbing I've done by a long way! No problems getting up and over the Caha Pass with the group, lovely spin down the other side despite some poor surfaces. Skipped the first water stop and ploughed on to the food stop. Selection seemed pretty impressive (even for me with lots of allergies).

The Healy Pass was definitely the tougher of the two big hills. Had to stop a couple of times on the way up and sadly ended up walking the last 200m or so - all my own fault though as I clipped the wheel of a rider in front and ended up on my side on the road in a very embarrassing slow motion fall! Photographer promised me he hadn't caught it but sure enough there is evidence of me starting to fall in the beara.biz photo set! Nothing worse than a sore and bruised hand (and ego) luckily so was well able to carry on.

Descending the Healy Pass was a lot of fun. The drag back to Glengarriff was the toughest part of the day for me. Ended up on my own for parts of it and the headwind really didn't help. The last few kilometres down into Glengarriff were a relief and finished with a smile on my face in about 3hr50mins rolling time.

Will definitely be back to this event again. The scenery on the Beara Peninsula is absolutely stunning and definitely makes a change from south Co Dublin/north Wicklow. If only it wasn't so far away I'd be down there more often!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

Great day out on Saturday....completely drained today ...roll on next year.....

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭First_October

Had a blast on Saturday. Unbelievable scenery and weather! The headwind on the long drag to Glengariff was nearly worse than the steep bits past Alihies! It's undoubtedly a tough day in the saddle.

I thought the support was amazing this year; there seemed to be a steward at every corner and junction on the way to Eyeries. Food was lovely as well - better than that on the Sean Kelly, and that's saying something!

My sisters did the 85 and had a great day too. It was their first Rebel Tour; I don't think it'll be their last. The cycling bug is easy to catch!

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

Absolutely cracking day on the bike
    160k was a fairly testing route, plenty of little ramps along the way
    Weather and scenery were unbelievable, hard to believe it was mid September
    Didn't mind the last 20k, as we had a good train going, and fairly drove it home into the headwind, plenty of support along the way, especially at the finish in Glengarriff

Hats off to the organisers and the volunteers, a day to be proud of, can't wait for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Pharma

West Cork is mad.
    The Rebel Tour is by far the best around.

Loved foodstop in Eyeries.

"Welcome to Eyeries the boys will take your bike and fill your water bottles"

"No they won't"

Also the girl at the first foodstop "bikes on the right, food to the left" continuously on loop. I wonder if they found the off switch.

Great day out. No matter the weather it's a great route. I've done it in rain and shine, it doesn't matter it's still great.

• Advertisement

Met one boardsie in Tuosist, Hunterbiker?
    Some wind over the Healy pass!
    Good to chat at the lunch stop. Got to say the De Ronde Van Cork kit is ace :)
    And the wind at Healy was like someone turned on a fan!

Good to chat at the lunch stop. Got to say the De Ronde Van Cork kit is ace :)
    And the wind at Healy was like someone turned on a fan!

you'll get honorary membership from the committee for talk like that!

you'll get honorary membership from the committee for talk like that!

I'll hold you to that once I get a few more miles in me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 willya

This was a really great event, great credit due to all the volunteers.

I cycled the 160 km and suffered!
    Some amazing views and scenery made the suffering worth while.
    The most soul destroying length of tarmac was the drag from the end of the Healy pass descent back to Glengarriff, it didn't seem to end and I questioned if I had taken a wrong turn at one stage.

Will defiantly be back next year, but with plenty of hill training done in advance! :D

I'll hold you to that once I get a few more miles in me :)

no need, you're grand as you are!

more fotos here
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.608035415981048.1073741888.272280089556584&type=1

Shed loads of fotos on beara camera club's pagehttps://m.facebook.com/beara.cameraclub.1?fref=nf

Advertisement