Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My hairline is thinning :(

Options
  • 04-05-2015 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

Hi there. I am 30 years old and over the past year I've noticed that my hair is becoming very thin at the front.

I went to my doctor and he just laughed and said there's no cure. It's not too noticeable to others yet but it is to me and I don;t want it to get worse.

I've just done a quick Google search and see that there is Regaine and a type of medication too. Does anyone know if it's easy to get a prescription for this or if I can buy Regaine from abroad (it seems cheaper on foreign websites)?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nathang20

I'd say the medication your talking about is Finasteride (1 mg daily)? If you have an understanding GP, he could help you out. You may have to refer to one of the "hair restoration" companies. The minoxidil you're talking about is sold as Regaine here (that's the solution you apply to your scalp). I use the Finasteride (mine is Proscar), the tablet is cut into quarters and taken daily. To be honest, there are side affects to the Finasteride, but thankfully I haven't experienced any (research everything you want to try). My hair is strong, especially at the forehead. Its different time frames for everybody, so I wouldn't expect any over night miracles.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Leocolceathrar

Worse things could happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

Worse things could happen!

Wow, thanks for the philosophical input

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Don't know if it's much help OP but I remember being told that head and shoulders is the worst shampoo to use. It damages the hair folicles hense speeding up hair loss so if you're using it then stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Don't know if it's much help OP but I remember being told that head and shoulders is the worst shampoo to use. It damages the hair folicles hense speeding up hair loss so if you're using it then stop!

Who ever told you that they were pulling your leg ;) maybe we should call it shed on shoulders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

kaji wrote: »
    Hi there. I am 30 years old and over the past year I've noticed that my hair is becoming very thin at the front.

I went to my doctor and he just laughed and said there's no cure. It's not too noticeable to others yet but it is to me and I don;t want it to get worse.

I've just done a quick Google search and see that there is Regaine and a type of medication too. Does anyone know if it's easy to get a prescription for this or if I can buy Regaine from abroad (it seems cheaper on foreign websites)?

Thanks

Was/is your ould fella bald?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

I started losing the hair around 24, didnt bother me and just shaved it off, after a few summers sun on it, you'll be fine, worse things can happen you

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Fear Ciarrai

Faith+1 wrote:

Wash & go is not the best either, I washed and the hair went

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

Well atleast your 30.. I was q little over half your age when it started..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Who ever told you that they were pulling your leg ;) maybe we should call it shed on shoulders.

My friend who's a professional hairdresser. She told me they use it to strip womens hair of colouring before applying a new one.

Not good for the ole roots especially for chaps with thinning hair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

My friend who's a professional hairdresser. She told me they use it to strip womens hair of colouring before applying a new one.

Nonsense. Hair loss in a nutshell occurs due to an underlying susceptibility of hair follicles to androgenic miniaturization. You could wash your hair five times a day with Wash and Go and it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Yeah I was told that it does strip colour from dyed hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

I use some product to shape my hair up a little.

Also, check out your dad and mothers father to see what their hair is like. My dad's hair started going when he was my age, but I honestly never noticed his hair balding until he was in his fifties.

So you could basically be spending quite a bit of time going bald like myself, and by the time it gets bad you'll be in your fifties so why give a crap?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

nathang20 wrote: »
    I'd say the medication your talking about is Finasteride (1 mg daily)? If you have an understanding GP, he could help you out. You may have to refer to one of the "hair restoration" companies. The minoxidil you're talking about is sold as Regaine here (that's the solution you apply to your scalp). I use the Finasteride (mine is Proscar), the tablet is cut into quarters and taken daily. To be honest, there are side affects to the Finasteride, but thankfully I haven't experienced any (research everything you want to try). My hair is strong, especially at the forehead. Its different time frames for everybody, so I wouldn't expect any over night miracles.

I'd stay away from Finasteride Dr Andrew Rynne calls it a "dangerous toxic medication".

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Baron McBoomBoom

I'm 28 and my hairlines been receding for several years now. I never really did care nor do I now. I just keep buggering on. Plus some of my cousins have it way worse than i do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭suave.4u

start with propecia and rogaine asap.

suave.4u wrote: »
    start with propecia and rogaine asap.

Only a fool would take Propecia (Finasteride).

Dr Andrew Rynne says he has seen so many young men's lives "destroyed by Finasteride".

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-best-treatment-for-hair-loss/answer/Andrew-Rynne?ref=fb

You will find naysayers everywhere. There are lot of people taking propecia everyday and it is FDA approved.
    You will find both sides of the story: see hairlosstalk.com for more info.

You will find naysayers everywhere. There are lot of people taking propecia everyday and it is FDA approved.
    You will find both sides of the story: see hairlosstalk.com for more info.

The FDA "approved" many drugs which turned out to be dangerous.

Just google Vioxx (which was approved by the FDA) and see how "safe" that was. It also was made by the same company who make Propecia.

hairlosstalk.com is part of the hair loss industry I would take what they say with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭arynne

I have sat and listened to young men describe to me how their lives have been devastated through Finasteride dozens of times. When you have done that, I am sorry, there is only one side to this sorry story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭alex.middleton

decent barber and nizoral shampoo will make what you have look thicker without any sides.

If you smoke then stop (circulation is a contributing factor to hair health as well as dht etc. )

Eat healthy foods.

Just accept it and use it as an opportunity to develop further core confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

Ok I am currently in a foreign country and went to the doctor and got 2 month's worth of Propecia. Is this available in Ireland when I come back to live in a few months- or is it even worth me starting taking it now if I have to stop?

kaji wrote: »
    Ok I am currently in a foreign country and went to the doctor and got 2 month's worth of Propecia. Is this available in Ireland when I come back to live in a few months- or is it even worth me starting taking it now if I have to stop?

Not available "legally" here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Not available "legally" here.

What? :confused:

Propecia and Finasteride are fully legal in Ireland.

New Zealand's Medicine Safety Authority now recognise Post-Finasteride Syndrome. Dr. Andrew Rynne was years ahead of his time when he pointed out how dangerous Finasteride was.

http://medsafe.govt.nz/profs/PUArticles/March2016/PostFinasterideSyndrome.htm

What? :confused:

Propecia and Finasteride are fully legal in Ireland.

Propecia is not licenced in Ireland.

Hair loss clinics here operate in a grey area by prescribing 5 mg Proscar "off label".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Has anyone used nioxin shampoo? Barber recommended it... any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MrMiyagi

I had a receding hairline even as a child. In my early 30s now and it's getting worse. Thining out I can feel the cold on my scalp etc.

I bought rogaine / lipogaine but said to myself this is ridiculous.

Let's be honest. Women in general don't find bald or men trying to cling on to the last few bits attractive.

Now I think that the electric razor option mightn't be too bad as at least it's better than a pure bald head?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Is there anything less manly than a man worrying about/fighting hair loss - especially in their 30s or later. Bit **** if you're a teenager, but when you're a grown man it's all part of the deal, I'm afraid. You're a bloke, you were never that pretty to start with.

And look at the baldies and greydomes around you: would you say they look better or wore than the hairplug, combover, shoe-polish and Trump brigade? Stop measuring you selfworth with your follicle count and just get on with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MrMiyagi

Tordelback wrote:
    And look at the baldies and greydomes around you: would you say they look better or wore than the hairplug, combover, shoe-polish and Trump brigade? Stop measuring you selfworth with your follicle count and just get on with it.

If sudden hair loss wasn't a concern for a lot of men then the shampoos, mad you tube videos and fraudsters wouldn't exist.

You seem to have had no issues in dealing with it, however asking us all to "man up" and get on with it in a macho sense isn't necessarily the approach.

Advertisement