Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SF Cllr arrested as part of investigation into recent paramilitary shootings

• 27-11-2014 7:46pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I suppose it would be too much to expect a statement from Sinn Féin on this matter?

Dungiven arrests: Sinn Féin man among five arrested
    A Sinn Féin councillor is among five people arrested by police investigating paramilitary activity in County Londonderry.

Councillor among five held in paramilitary probe
    A Sinn Fein councillor is among five men in police custody tonight being questioned over alleged paramilitary activity in Northern Ireland.

Chief Inspector Una Jennings, from the Police Service of Northern Ireland's serious crime branch, said: "We are investigating various forms of paramilitary activity in the area, predominantly over the last four years.

"These include shooting incidents and threats."

Hopefully the police investigation gets to the bottom of this. I thought the days of paramilitary violence and intimidation were behind us.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

I thought the days of paramilitary violence and intimidation were behind us.

We all did.

From the way Mairia Cahill was treated on social media in the last six weeks, we learned that the days of intimidation were no longer behind us.

Not a bit surprised that the days of paramilitary violence are also back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

I suppose it would be too much to expect a statement from Sinn Féin on this matter?

No, the good folk of Shinner-Towers are too busy working on their policy platform (which all add up perfectly btw)

Linked here:
    http://www.aisd.net/aisd/Portals/39/band%20files/bandwagon.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Why? You'd just say it was lies anyway no matter what they said.

Godge wrote: »
    Great, we can call of the investigation because Godge is here and the little voice in his head said Sinn Fein are guilty. Straight to jail lads, no need for the court case!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Careful now.

Suggesting a SF councillor has been engaged in criminal activity could derail the Peace Process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

I see the jurors of the boards.ie politics forum kangaroo court have deemed the man guilty already, of what who knows...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

That's going to ruin a lot of breakfasts this morning isn't it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I see the jurors of the boards.ie politics forum kangaroo court have deemed the man guilty already, of what who knows...

Of course he's guilty. We now need to decide if we kill him, kneecap him or move him south of the border.
    But not being part of boards.ie central command or ever having been, I can't decide these things. :)

Of course he's guilty. We now need to decide if we kill him, kneecap him or move him south of the border.
    Who has "moved" criminals tried in their courts south of the border?
    Oh wait, let's do this again: the word is "expelled". Not interchangeable with "moved to" "exported" "relocated to" or any other words you make up.
    I'm surprised so many people here disagree that sex offenders should be shot. Must be more forgiving than me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

"They haven't gone away you know."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

I thought the thread title referred to parliamentary shootings.

So disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭mikep

Mary Lou says ALL Sinn Fein members "are of good character and integrity"...
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/mary-lou-mcdonald-all-of-us-in-sinn-fein-are-of-good-character-and-integrity-30781447.html

Case closed so!

mikep wrote: »
    Another "Gerry Adams didn't hold the door for an old lady in 2007 exclusive" from Indo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭maccored

this should be called the boards Gossip forum rather than politics.

maccored wrote: »
    this should be called the boards Gossip forum rather than politics.
    Your honour, the prosecution would like to present several nudges and winks and an Indo editorial. Case closed indeed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Thread crashed and burned already.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Colinf1212

From the way Mairia Cahill was treated on social media in the last six weeks, we learned that the days of intimidation were no longer behind us.

So twitter abuse is what comes under paramilitary intimidation these days?

I'm pretty sure the days of intimidation will never be behind us. People will always be getting intimidated in some way or another. You can't just wipe intimidation from the world and be done with it.

Colinf1212 wrote: »
    So twitter abuse is what comes under paramilitary intimidation these days?

I'm pretty sure the days of intimidation will never be behind us. People will always be getting intimidated in some way or another. You can't just wipe intimidation from the world and be done with it.

We have seen several suicides from cyberbullying yet you think Twitter abuse is not a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

We have seen several suicides from cyberbullying yet you think Twitter abuse is not a problem?

Clearly not stable people in the first place

• Advertisement

Anybody who cares enough about what people say on Twitter that they kill themselves clearly has a problem, yes.
    Now, any connection whatsoever to the SF Cllr's unqualified exoneration on all charges? Nope, goodnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Anyone of any degree of fame gets abuse on twitter. It's pathetic but true. Adams gets more than anyone, you dont see SF holding FG, FF or Labour collectively responsible for all the muck that gets thrown at them by people who happen to be members of those parties on twitter (and nor should they).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joe912

We all did.

well maria cahill gets an unbelievable attention for a dissident republican. especially from f.g maybe they believe that more can be achieved by violent struggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joe912

hard to believe maria cahill a hardened republican, who is intelligent and well schooled, who has been manipulating an eager media, would be in anyway worried about twitter abuse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭golfball37

For a mod to start this thread and comment with the assumption of guilt is wrong. He or she should at least acknowledge being wrong if they are not going to apologise?

MOD: Please see below MOD REMINDER.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Don't let the Sinners change the subject

Don't let the Sinners change the subject
    What subject? This is a complete non story. No charges of any sort.

golfball37 wrote: »
    For a mod to start this thread and comment with the assumption of guilt is wrong. He or she should at least acknowledge being wrong if they are not going to apologise?
    I prefer it this way. Puts it in the open what you're dealing with, doesn't it?

Not just a mod, but a mod who openly admits to working on Fianna Fáil election campaigns.

Nothing biased here, no sirree.

MOD: Please see below MOD REMINDER.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Has Sierra Oscar come back to comment on this, or are the Fianna fail press office not commenting anymore!

Crash and burn, just like the party and the economy after that party of crooks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

golfball37 wrote: »

Sorry but the arrest did happen. No need to be trying to make it out that it didn't. And stop trying to make out that I am in any way involved in moderating the politics forum because it is simply not true.

The investigation is ongoing btw but it is encouraging to see that no evidence of wrongdoing has been found.
    Not just a mod, but a mod who openly admits to working on Fianna Fáil election campaigns.

In the past I might add. No longer a member of FF. Still though someone needs to challenge the blatant SF bias by the usual suspects in the politics forum.

In the past I might add. No longer a member of FF. Still though someone needs to challenge the blatant SF bias by the usual suspects in the politics forum.
    And that would be "unbiased" you I suppose? Godge will vouch for your objectivity I'm sure. ;-)

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/regional/sinn-fein-councillor-arrested-in-paramilitary-activity-probe-1-6450575

It seems another councillor has been arrested.

"The suspect has been named locally as Sinn Fein councillor Sean McGlinchey"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/regional/sinn-fein-councillor-arrested-in-paramilitary-activity-probe-1-6450575

It is all just a conspiracy against SF.

Stop. It is all just a conspiracy against SF.
    Yeah, because the last arrest got far didn't it? You can shoo̶ut your load all you like, get back to us when a charge turns up mmmmk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

So let me get this straight, your big "challenge" is to post some nonsense article whose massive revelation was the cops arresting someone and releasing someone without charge?

Earth-shattering stuff alright.

Stop. It is all just a conspiracy against SF.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-30291541 - Oh dear. Both of you proved wrong yet again. How embarrassing.

And the line goes dead. Again.

Dan_Solo wrote: »

I await updates from the Fianna fail press office!

I await updates from the Fianna fail press office!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

this is why I avoid this forum as much as possible, nothing coming near intelligent debate in the vast majority of threads.

this is why I avoid this forum as much as possible, nothing coming near intelligent debate in the vast majority of threads.
    And your contribution is exempt from this judgement we can assume, yes?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-30291541 - Oh dear. Both of you proved wrong yet again. How embarrassing.

Very positive. Let's hope no charges are brought once the investigation has finished.

Very positive. Let's hope no charges are brought once the investigation has finished.

Sorry, but do you need a dictionary for "released unconditionally"? I very much doubt he'll be charged. Keep digging there Sierra Oscar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Sorry, but do you need a dictionary for "released unconditionally"? I very much doubt he'll be charged. Keep digging there Sierra Oscar.
    What? Did you even read his post?

What? Did you even read his post?

Is not a hard post to read. he said:

"Very positive. Let's hope no charges are brought once the investigation has finished."

Did you read his post?

Is not a hard post to read. he said:

"Very positive. Let's hope no charges are brought once the investigation has finished."

Did you read his post?
    Yes, I did, and it reads like he doesn't want the man charged. Why do you have a problem with this?

Yes, I did, and it reads like he doesn't want the man charged. Why do you have a problem with this?

If McGlinchey was released pending a file being sent to the DPP, it would be fair to hope he wasn't charged.

"Unconditionally released" means just that though. What part of that is confusing?

LOL, you think he doesn't want SF members charged with something, anything, please just make them go away waaaah?

LOL, you think he doesn't want SF members charged with something, anything, please just make them go away waaaah?
    He said what he said :confused:

Very childish post.
    If McGlinchey was released pending a file being sent to the DPP, it would be fair to hope he wasn't charged.

"Unconditionally released" means just that though. What part of that is confusing?
    Can you not be unconditionally released and still be under investigation?

• Advertisement
Advertisement