Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The John McNulty / Enda Kenny Saga.

• 25-09-2014 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭

More unwanted attention to Enda and the Govt. With Enda Kenny's leadership being described as 'disgusting'.

Surprised a thread hadn't already been started on it.

Fine Gael and Enda should just stop with the strokes, they don't even do them that cleverly or well.
    The temporary appointment of a Fine Gael member to the board of the Irish Museum of Modern Art has escalated into a major political embarrassment for the Government and for Taoiseach Enda Kenny whose leadership was described as “disgusting” by one of his own backbench TDs.

Fine Gael’s candidate in next month’s Seanad byelection John McNulty announced this afternoon that he was stepping down from the board of Imma, only 13 days after being appointed to the board on September 12th.

The reason for his resignation is that Imma’s rules preclude him from being a board member and contesting an election at the same time.

No board meeting has taken place during that time and Mr McNulty did not visit the Imma campus in Kilmainham in an official capacity, nor meet any of its staff or board members, during that time.

The extraordinarily brief period of his directorship – less than a fortnight – was seen as giving substance to the assertions of critics that his appointment was designed solely to give him sufficient qualifications to stand for the Culture and Education panel in the Seanad byelection.

In the growing controversy, the Taoiseach has come under fire today not only from the Opposition parties but also from his own backbenches in Fine Gael.Waterford Deputy John Deasy, a critic ofMr Kenny, said people in the party were becoming “disgusted” at the way Fine Gael was run and also suggested the Taoiseach had appointed some ministers who were “not fit” for their positions. He also suggested the Taoiseach was increasingly acting with impunity as the economy recovered.

In a series of interviews today, Mr Kenny and Minster of Arts Helen Humphreys pointedly declined to address media questions about the circumstances of Mr McNulty’s appointment to Imma and its apparent connection with his Seanad candidacy.

The Taoiseach said Mr McNulty had cooperated with the rules but deflected questions on whether or not Minister for Arts Heather Humphreys was aware he was going to become Fine Gael’s Seanad byelection candidate at the time of his appointment.

Repeatedly asked about Ms Humphreys’ knowledge, he said: “I can’t answer for the Minister in that regard.”

Asked if he had given an instruction to her to appoint Mr McNulty, he said he had never given instructions for a minister to make an appointment.

He added that all nominations are made to Cabinet and said that “obviously we have encouraged people to apply in a particular way”. It was not clear if this was a reference to the Cabinet encouraging Mr McNulty to apply for the Imma board.

Mr Kenny made it clear that it was he who made the choice to choose Mr McNulty as the party’s candidate to fill the Seanad vacancy caused by the election of Deirdre Clune to the European parliament.

Asked about Mr Deasy’s comments, he said: “I have heard many comments from John over the years and nothing changes.”

In another development, a Fine Gael member who had been put on the party’s priority list of candidates,Samantha Long, also told The Irish Times she was resigning from the party as a result of the practices surrounding Mr McNulty’s nomination.

In her first public appearance since the row erupted, Minister for Arts Heather Humphreys who appointed Mr McNulty to the Imma board, again deflected questions on whether or not she was aware that he was to be the party’s Seanad candidate at the time of the appointment. She said she was unaware of Ms Long’s resignation.

Mr McNulty himself has not been responding to calls from The Irish Times this week.

On RTE’s The News at One programme, Mr Deasy said the appointment process to the board of Imma had been “clearly manipulated and abused”.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/kenny-s-leadership-described-as-disgusting-in-mcnulty-imma-row-1.1941763

And Fintan OToole describing it as " a brazen defiance of democratic accountability" here.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/mcnulty-appointment-a-brazen-defiance-of-democratic-accountability-1.1941500

Is Enda losing the run of himself? It looks like he's on a major power trip at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

They are an absolute shambles. At this stage if FG are serious about contesting the next election they need to ditch Enda and some of his crony ministers.

The only additional help they can give to help Sinn Fein and FF to coast into power is to start canvassing for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,610 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I don't think Enda's behaviour is surprising. We knew what we were getting with the "Up Mayo" ****e. It was a clear warning that a large proportion of the best and brightest in Fine Gael were motivated to launch a heave before the election.

Days after gaining power on the promise of a better government, Kenny breached advisor pay caps to reward his cronies. His government's contempt of the Dail has been even greater than Fianna Fails. Kenny's ministerial supporters from the "Up Mayo" wing have been up to their necks in ....wilful incompetence... with scandals in Health and Justice. Kenny backed them to the hilt despite all the evidence. He's squandering a one in a generation chance to make Fine Gael *the* big party for the sake of taking care of his mates at the expense of the Irish taxpayer.

Its very clear Kenny is from the wing of Fine Gael that is just a bitter, less successful version of Fianna Fail. He is a very poor Taoiseach. This McNulty scam, with its contempt for the Irish people and basic standards of good governance is classic Kenny. As was his dismissive reaction to the Fiscal Advisory Council, just because it wasn't telling him what he wanted to hear.

It is heartening to see at least some of the FG TDs going public with their complaints against his rule, but I think they'll find themselves disciplined pretty quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

McNulty has stood down from his recent appointment,

Ive said this else where those of us with children will be lucky to see real political change in our lifetime

Gatling wrote: »
    McNulty has stood down from his recent appointment,

Ive said this else those of us with children will be lucky to see real political change in our lifetime

I think it was always the plan for him to stand down - he only needed to be on the board to qualify to stand for election. So he is appointed Monday, gets nominated Tuesday, resigns on Wednesday. He is still campaigning for a seat in the Seanad.

I think events like this highlight the naivety of the commonly expressed idea a year or two ago that the Seanad would in some way regulate the Dail, or could be reformed. We should have abolished it when we had the chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Sand wrote: »
    I think it was always the plan for him to stand down - he only needed to be on the board to qualify to stand for election. So he is appointed Monday, gets nominated Tuesday, resigns on Wednesday. He is still campaigning for a seat in the Seanad.

I think events like this highlight the naivety of the commonly expressed idea a year or two ago that the Seanad would in some way regulate the Dail, or could be reformed . We should have abolished it when we had the chance .

I believe that's what enda thinks too, and that this is a big 'up yours' to the electorate for voting against him. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Have to say I'm liking this new Enda Kenny.

The claim that McNulty has no background in cultural matters has already been disproven. It turns out that McNulty is involved in Irish language education, the GAA, county-level heritage issues, and the Fleadh Ceoil.

As such, he didn't need the IMMA appointment at all. He was already suitably qualified for the panel.

But just to quell any doubts, or (even better) to infuriate the cranks on twitter, Kenny has had a rare moment of cutting out the bullshit, and telling a journalist straight out that the decision is his own. And it is.

The story is almost worth following for the hysterical overreactions alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

conorh91 wrote: »

The claim that McNulty has no background in cultural matters has already been disproven. It turns out that McNulty is involved in Irish language education, the GAA, county-level heritage issues, and the Fleadh Ceoil.

I'm surprised you didn't say how popular he is too, a line thrown out several times today. Surprising to hear that given he was 10th out of 16 with only around 800 reference votes in the GE.

What does involved in mean exactly? Selling find raising tickets from his shop for those things? He coaches an under 21 team (I think that's the age group anyway). Hardly a reasonable reason to be given a seat in the senate, more so his obvious unpopularity with the electorate in his constituency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Yeah, me too. He's removing all doubt that he's a gombeen man and a stroke politician. Even his own party appear to have had enough of him

It's great

ThisRegard wrote: »
    He coaches an under 21 team (I think that's the age group anyway). Hardly a reasonable reason to be given a seat in the senate
    Nobody said it's a reason to be given a seat.

It's part of the reason to be entitled to candidacy.

If the man spouted a goatee and shuffled around Donegal, looking suitably sarcastic in a beret, randomly splashed tins of paint on canvas, and gobbled down public money in arts funding, his candidacy would be irrefutable in the minds of some of our bravest democrats at the Irish Times.

But because he merely goes out in all weathers to coach a cultural pursuit of skill and athleticism, he is merely a yokel, who has unfortunately had to have his cultural credentials boosted by an IMMA appointment, much to the chagrin of Fintan Le Tool et al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Kenny is the biggest liability FG have. Every time he opens his mouth he exposes his inner village idiot, which is no surprise since that is exactly what he is.

What a couple of weeks it's been for him. He scores a massive own goal when criticising Leo Varadkar for saying what we all knew. That is, James Reilly was entirely incompetent and his proposal to abolish the HSE and introduce universal health insurance where not realistic in the time frame proposed. As for free GP care for under 6's...��

He then shows his total and utter disregard for the democratic process by appointing a guy to the board of IMMA knowing he would have to resign almost instantly in order to run for the Seanad, an institution he tried to abolish.

The village idiot isn't usually allowed in front of microphones by his handlers. He has alienated most women voters by now, not exactly savvy only 18 months before the next election.

I hope he remains in office.

• Advertisement

much to the chagrin of Fintan Le Tool et al.

Many of us proles already have issue with this stroke, we don't need the et all to tell us we should have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Useless talking shop treated as a useless talking shop, and people voted to keep it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

As such, he didn't need the IMMA appointment at all. He was already suitably qualified for the panel.

Really. And he was put ahead of an already drafted shortlist for the Seanad because....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

No doubt a naive question, but does McNulty's nomination guarantee him a seat? Who is the electorate?

I think it's a government nomination so FG and Labour (correct me if I'm wrong) and if the whip is used, which has been suggested is likely, then yes, it might be a given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

But just to quell any doubts, or (even better) to infuriate the cranks on twitter, Kenny has had a rare moment of cutting out the bullshit, and telling a journalist straight out that the decision is his own. And it is.

The story is almost worth following for the hysterical overreactions alone.

And that folks pretty much sums up what's wrong with the way this country is governed and how and why governments, especially this one, are elected.

In anyone on here thinks that the blueshirts and FFail are any different all they need do is just look at the goings on today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

astrofool wrote: »
    Useless talking shop treated as a useless talking shop, and people voted to keep it...

That's hardly the issue here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

While there are questions to be asked over this, it is notable that a lot of the commentary has focussed on him having the wrong genitals. Seemingly discriminating because of who you vote for is very bad, discriminating because of your genitals is very double plus good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

GetWithIt wrote: »
    No doubt a naive question, but does McNulty's nomination guarantee him a seat? Who is the electorate?

The electorate is all current TDs and Senators. The vote is a secret postal ballot, so it's possible that he won't be elected if enough FG and Labour TDs vote for one of the other candidates, but I wouldn't be holding my breath on that happening.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,531 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

None of which relate to fine art - something that the IMMA specifically relates to. The only reason he was appointed to the IMMA, when he did not even apply or seek approval for appointment to the board, was because the FG leadership wanted to pad his CV for the Seanad by-election. That is something FG TD's are acknowledging.

Really? He actually stated that the appointment to the IMMA had absolutely nothing to do with him and he hung his new Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht out to dry. It is just another example of a closed and out of touch FG leadership making some very dubious decisions. I don't think we have heard the end of this yet. I eagerly await to hear what Shatter has to say about all of this on the Late Late Show tomorrow night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

None of which relate to fine art - something that the IMMA specifically relates to. The only reason he was appointed to the IMMA, when he did not even apply or seek approval for appointment to the board, was because the FG leadership wanted to pad his CV for the Seanad by-election. That is something FG TD's are acknowledging.

An argument could be made that appointing an outsider to the board gives them a broader range of experience and viewpoints.

However, it's not an argument that could be made here. The Minister that made the appointment refuses to answer any questions as to why she made the appointment, including, as you've pointed out, why she appointed someone who expressed no interest in the role in the first place. And our "reforming" Government don't think it's necessary that appointments to the boards of publicly funded organisations should be subject to any sort of oversight or scrutiny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Floppybits

NuMarvel wrote: »
    The electorate is all current TDs and Senators. The vote is a secret postal ballot, so it's possible that he won't be elected if enough FG and Labour TDs vote for one of the other candidates, but I wouldn't be holding my breath on that happening.

I heard one TD on the radio saying yesterday that when TD's are voting they are to do it in the front of the Party whip to ensure that they vote for the "correct" candidate.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If the man spouted a goatee and shuffled around Donegal, looking suitably sarcastic in a beret, randomly splashed tins of paint on canvas, and gobbled down public money in arts funding, his candidacy would be irrefutable in the minds of some of our bravest democrats at the Irish Times.

But because he merely goes out in all weathers to coach a cultural pursuit of skill and athleticism, he is merely a yokel, who has unfortunately had to have his cultural credentials boosted by an IMMA appointment, much to the chagrin of Fintan Le Tool et al.

If you don't like the rules, it isn't an excuse or justification to try and circumvent them with a stroke like this. You're meant to appoint board members in the interest of the organization. Appointing him for two weeks to make him eligible for a Seanad nomination is an abuse of that power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Anyway you slice and dice this, it is an abuse of power. No supporter of FG no matter how hardened a supporter they could stand over this. If this McNulty character has a shred of decency he will withdraw from the Seanad Election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

NuMarvel wrote: »
    The Minister that made the appointment refuses to answer any questions as to why she made the appointment, including, as you've pointed out, why she appointed someone who expressed no interest in the role in the first place.

She looked way way out of her depth when faced with a handful of media on the news last night. I'll be honest and say I don't know much about her, but she certainly left a lasting impression in that clip. Seems she's gone underground then today.

Nodin wrote: »
    Really. And he was put ahead of an already drafted shortlist for the Seanad because....?
    why not?

The constitution of the FG party appears to give the leader absolute discretion as regards shortlists.
    None of which relate to fine art - something that the IMMA specifically relates to.
    So? The chairman of IMMA is a well-respected barrister whose chairmanship does not seem to be predicated on any artistic prowess of which I am aware.

Similarly, I'm not aware of any aspect of McNulty's character which would suggest that McNulty was not adequately competent to serve on its board.

Are you?

why not?

The constitution of the FG party appears to give the leader absolute discretion as regards shortlists.

Well that's great. Perhaps the next election campaign slogan will be "Uno Duce, Una Voce".

Well that's great. Perhaps the next election campaign slogan will be "Uno Duce, Una Voce".
    Political parties are perfectly entitled to apply such rules, in which the party leader's discretion is similar to that of a CEO in a corporation.

It doesn't mean the country is going to turn to fascism, but I am reluctant to halt the tide of hysteria that this story has generated. It certainly brightens up a slow news week.

Political parties are perfectly entitled to apply such rules, in which the party leader's discretion is similar to that of a CEO in a corporation.

It doesn't mean the country is going to turn to fascism, but I am reluctant to halt the tide of hysteria that this story has generated. It certainly brightens up a slow news week.

But the party isn't a corporation and Enda Kenny is not a CEO. Now if he wants to run FG like Fianna Fail without the niceties and can do so 'within the rules' it may not be fascism, but its hardly an advert for the party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,383 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There is now more cronyism and there are a lot more quangos since Ends took over.
    Says it all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Politician in underhanded stroke shocker.

FG=FF

If and when SF ever get into power, they'll be up to the same shiite.

It's the nature of the beast.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,531 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

So? The chairman of IMMA is a well-respected barrister whose chairmanship does not seem to be predicated on any artistic prowess of which I am aware.

Ah come off it now. McGonigal is a known collector of fine art, and has served on the board for well over a decade. Don't try and compare him to McNultly who has had no connection to the IMMA until the last month. McGonigal has an actual interest in what the IMMA does and was involved before he sat on the board. McNuly only became a member of IMMA once on the board. You can't really compare the two.
    Similarly, I'm not aware of any aspect of McNulty's character which would suggest that McNulty was not adequately competent to serve on its board.

Are you?

Ah here! Can you tell me why others applicants for the position were turned down when they had far more relevant experience to the work that IMMA actually does? Keep in mind that McNulty did not even apply for the role.

Can you explain why he was appointed to the IMMA for any other reason than to pull a stunt for the by-election?

But the party isn't a corporation and Enda Kenny is not a CEO.
    I didn't say he is. I made a comparison.

Political parties are similar to private corporations in that they are private organizations with legal personality, with the ability to hold property, generate income, make internal rules, etc.

The crucial issue is that they are not public bodies, and they regulate their own internal affairs in accordance with law.
    McGonigal has an actual interest in what the IMMA does
    McNulty said he has an interest in IMMA too. Are you calling him a liar, as well as implying that he doesn't appreciate art?
    Ah here! Can you tell me why others applicants for the position were turned down when they had far more relevant experience to the work that IMMA actually does?
    I'm still curious as to why you think McNulty should be presumed to know nothing about art. Donegal people tend to be very mysterious.

McNulty said he has an interest in IMMA too. Are you calling him a liar, as well as implying that he doesn't appreciate art?

He didn't demonstrate any interest - He became a member only very recently. Since his appointment he never visited IMMA, never attended any meetings of IMMA, and never contacted any officials at IMMA.

He didn't demonstrate any interest
    Heather Humphreys has said that McNulty had expressed some interest in contributing in a generalized way, he may not have specified IMMA over another institution.
    He became a member only very recently.
    So? Is there some rule which says that board members must be ordinary members of IMMA?
    Since his appointment he never visited IMMA
    This is getting too bizarre. Has there been a band of cranks standing outside IMMA over the past few days, watching to se if McNulty went in? He lives on the other side of the country, I don't see any reason why he should have immediately fled to IMMA (if indeed he hasn't been there this week).

• Advertisement

Heather Humphreys has said that McNulty had expressed some interest in contributing in a generalized way, he may not have specified IMMA over another institution.

So your claim was wrong.
    So?

So, he didn't have any interest in even joining the IMMA until politically useful.
    Is there some rule which says that board members must be ordinary members of IMMA?

Probably.
    This is getting too bizarre. Has there been a band of cranks standing outside IMMA over the past few days, watching to se if McNulty went in?

Probably not, but any visits would be scheduled and recorded.
    He lives on the other side of the country, I don't see any reason why he should have immediately fled to IMMA (if indeed he hasn't been there this week).

I see a reason - he was appointed to its board. It would seem important to demonstrate some interest in the place.

So your claim was wrong.
    No, i'm not wrong.

McNulty did indicate in his statement that he is interested in IMMA.

My previous post referred to his expression of interest in being a member of the Board of IMMA. That's the only interest he didn't explcitly indicate.

Probably.
    Probably not.

Probably not, but any visits would be scheduled and recorded.
    Probably not.

No, i'm not wrong.

Hmm, but a person who was wrong would say that.
    Probably not.

To clarify, I actually don't know or care if IMMA membership is a requirement to become a IMMA board member.
    Probably not.

Hmm, no, I'm going to have to stick with probably.

To clarify, I actually don't know or care if IMMA membership is a requirement to become a IMMA board member.
    sounds to me like you think you're wrong.

sounds to me like you think you're wrong.

Wrong about what?

• Advertisement

Meanwhile......

"Taoiseach Enda Kenny has said he takes full responsibility and the blame for the controversy surrounding the nomination of John McNulty for the Seanad.
    Speaking in Roscommon this afternoon, Mr Kenny said what happened was of his own making but would never happen again.
    He said he regretted his decision and Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht Heather Humphreys was not in any way to blame for what had happened."

however

"Fine Gael TD Sean Conlan said that Mr Kenny's remarks this evening have made matters worse.
    Speaking on RTÉ's Six One, Mr Conlan said Mr Kenny's comments contradict his version of events outlined yesterday.
    Mr Conlan called on Minister Humphreys to make a statement to explain herself in connection with the issue."
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0926/648153-politics/

This is getting too bizarre. .

What's bizzare is that there's people out there that think this is all just a coincidence and that the shop keeper is a closet art collector. With all the other things people like yourself say he's involved in on top of running a shop does he even have time to eat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

Wasn't paying much attention to this story because I expect no better, but the resignation from IMMA etc. just makes it worse. I also thought that McNulty might be some kind of backroom boy getting rewarded. But the truth would appear to be a lot more prosaic than that:
    Mr Sheahan suggested that the reason for his nomination was to have a replacement for FG TD for Donegal South West Dinny McGinley, who has announced that he will not run again in the next election.

Although A ballot of all TDs and Senators takes place between September 26 and October 10, it is understood that Mr McNulty will be elected.

Mr Sheahan said: “It’s a Fine Gael seat and it will be filled by Fine Gael. Once his name goes forward, it’s a foregone conclusion.”

see more ...

This is pathetic, a) Guy can't get elected locally. b) Fine Gael don't have confidence to run him or find a suitable candidate for next general election c) Failed local election candidate 'elected' to Seanad in parody of democracy d) If all had gone to plan his election to Dail would according to a pundit be "a foregone conclusion".

The players on the pitch may have changed at the last general election but they are playing the same game.

It does pose a real challenge for me: next time out I'm going to have to put some party bottom of the list. Used to be fairly easy with Sinn Fein. Easy winners.

Then Fianna Fail and the Greens entered the fray to earn last place. Now Fine Gael. The problem is, whoever I put last...one of the above will have to come ahead of them. They all deserve to be last :|

What's bizzare is that there's people out there that think this is all just a coincidence and that the shop keeper is a closet art collector.
    I, like most people, don't think the appointment is a coincidence.

I think it was probably intended to bolster McNulty's campaign against arching eyebrows at the Irish Times.

Fintan Not everyone agrees that GAA is a cultural pursuit, so you can see how Fintan some people might think those involved in its instruction are borderline illiterate.

There was a space on IMMA, whose work seems to be an area in which McNulty has an interest. Convenience and hysteria ensued.

Not enough of an interest to be a member of IMMA though it seems - until of course he had to be a member to be able to sit on the board.
    I'm still curious as to why you think McNulty should be presumed to know nothing about art. Donegal people tend to be very mysterious.

I'm curious as to why someone was appointed to a post that despite not even applying for the position. Especially when there were other applicants with some very relevant experience to the role.

I think it was probably intended to bolster McNulty's campaign against arching eyebrows at the Irish Times.

Do you not have a problem with that at all??
    There was a space on IMMA, whose work seems to be an area in which McNulty has an interest. Convenience and hysteria ensued.

Yeah that would be fine if other people with very relevant credentials had not applied, and perhaps it would have been somewhat more acceptable if McNulty had actually put in an application himself.

Why do you keep bringing the Irish Times into this, they've nothing to do with this farce. Inferiority complex or something?

Not enough of an interest to be a member of IMMA though it seems
    I doubt every artist or serious art enthusiast is a member of IMMA. Especially rural people who might only visit a few times a year.
    I'm curious as to why someone was appointed to a post that despite not even applying for the position.
    Because it seems that's how these appointments are structured. There's never been a furore when it happened in the past, with other boards. But of course, maybe IMMA is of crucial public importance.
    Do you not have a problem with that at all??
    Nope. Especially not since his directorship was going to expire in a few weeks. Actually I think it's very clever.
    Why do you keep bringing the Irish Times into this, they've nothing to do with this farce. Inferiority complex or something?
    Inferior to what? I consider the Times an inferior newspaper, except on Mondays. I just thought Fintan O'Toole's reaction was quite funny, that's all.

I'm sorry I'm probably not taking this as seriously as some of you are.

Members of FG have openly criticised the stroke on national radio and TV, I don't think it's us having the wrong reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

I doubt every artist or serious art enthusiast is a member of IMMA. Especially rural people who might only visit a few times a year.

Because it seems that's how these appointments are structured. There's never been a furore when it happened in the past, with other boards. But of course, maybe IMMA is of crucial public importance.

Nope. Especially not since his directorship was going to expire in a few weeks. Actually I think it's very clever.

Inferior to what? I consider the Times an inferior newspaper, except on Mondays. I just thought Fintan O'Toole's reaction was quite funny, that's all.

Clever like Bed and Breakfast loans, or this.

Smaller scale than those of course, but surely this kind of stroke can only be considered clever if it you profit from it or at least don't get caught. I suppose FG might keep some of there former FF support because of this.

Why am I taking this seriously, simply because it shows nothing has changed from the 'system' and culture that bankrupted this country.

• Advertisement
Advertisement